Sign in to follow this  
joshncfc

Some perspective.

Firstly, great win tonight! Well chuffed we''re upto 3rd! This season is going better than I could have possibly hoped!

Anyhow I''ve just looked at our up coming matches and QPR (away), Cardiff (away), Burnley (home), Millwall (away, we lost here last season) and Reading (away) feature in our next 8 games. Anyone fancy us getting anything against them? They will certainly be a test. Our other 3 games from those 8 are Bristol City (away), Crystal Palace (home) and Middlesboro (home) and I fancy us to get wins against them.

Just wanted to put some perpective on things as so far we have played Leicester, Hull, Preston, Barnsley, Doncaster, Notts Forest, Swansea, Scunthorpe and Watford. Swansea are arguably the best team of the bunch and are the only one bar Watford who are in the top 10 in the current league table. It''s definately encouraging we have beaten Swansea, not to mention us putting in a class performance against Forest away. But lets not lose sight of the face that we havent played a many top teams yet. And I am a little concerned we shipped 3 goals against Leicester tonight.

I''m not trying to put a tint on our current top 3 position, but we are playing 4 teams from the current top 6 teams in the next 8 games, so this is the moment we will be truly tested. Obviously I hope we can maintain our position and I''m reasonably confident we can match Cardiff, Reading, Burnley and Millwall if we are on the top of our game. We''ll have to see about QPR though as they are on fire. This is such a tight league that a few bad results and we can end up mid table, so these games will be telling.

Anyhow, congratulations to Paul Lambert and the team on this terrific start. Can we stay in the top 6? I bloody hope so. Bring them all on!

OTBC!

You could argue that those teams are above us because we haven''t played them yet or that they have not played the better sides. We can only beat what is put in front of us and as an optimist I will not be worrying about future opposition, as we are capable of beating any of these teams on our day. 

Defence and keeper tonight were as leaky as an old sieve.

And with upcoming games against QPR, Middlesbrough, Cardiff all coming up this month our limitations will be exposed indefinitely. And Lambo knows this.

Tough days ahead that’s for sure.

Fair enough to point out the good clubs coming up, but the sides we''ve played are no mugs and include well fancied sides in Leicester (play-offs last season), Hull (Prem last season), Doncaster (v diff to play away), Forest (play-offs), Swansea (7th).

IMO to be where we are shows that we can handle ourselves and are a fairly decent side, but talk of play-offs/promotion is far too previous. No one should really take note of league places until Christmas, and even then it we''re only a little further than halfway. But it is nice that we''ve come through what looked like a fairly tricky start with a decent record so far.

Yep, totally agree.

Although not quite the same, but I remember the year we won this league, we had West Brom, West Ham and Wigan in a row.

All the teams seem to beat each other (the usual clique) but you just don''t know whats going to happen, certainly didnt expect to lose Sat, and I bet Leeds didnt think after being 4-1 tonight that they would be going home with their heads hung low!

We''ve played some really good football, and there is no reason why we can''t do that against those teams!

Easily beat QPR, there crap now :P Cardiff arn''t all that either, Burnely, who are they? Millwall have given up already, and Reading are useless?

There 5 wins..plus the other 3 you mentioned...top of the league :D

[quote user="Colchester Canary"]

How about the following 2 games after the ones you mentioned? Leeds and Ipswich at home, suppose they will be easy too?

[/quote]

Nope. But I fancy us to beat both of them :)

Yeah Leeds and ipsh*t will be far too easy, they might as well not turn up.... We''ll have won the league before the end of January...

paul moy "You could argue that those teams are above us because we haven''t played them yet or that they have not played the better sides. We can only beat what is put in front of us and as an optimist I will not be worrying about future opposition, as we are capable of beating any of these teams on our day."

Sure I take that on board. But I guess we can''t deny that QPR, Burnley, Cardiff are 3 of the strongest teams in the division, not to mention Reading. Anyhow as someone just pointed out maybe we shouldn''t pay much attention to the table till Christmas. I guess I am thinking it''s a little early for people to be talking of promotion as we haven''t played all the best teams yet :)

Gingerpele "Yeah Leeds and ipsh*t will be far too easy, they might as well not turn up.... We''ll have won the league before the end of January..."

haha!

Weren''t we suppose to easily beat Watford and Hull? We''ve start well, we look good going forward but we will drop points. I''m just happy we have a team to be proud of and one that looks like not being involved in a relegation battle.

Steady progress....

i firmly believe we will go up or be there about.

It is ridiculous to say we haven''t played top clubs. Who have the top clubs played to be top ? Premiership clubs.

No one is claiming there will be easy games. That is putting up a false argument so it can be knocked down, supposedly then backing your argument. What counts is the quality of your team/squad/manager/set up etc

Watching the games against Hull and Forest I would strongly argue that 6 points from those games would not have been lucky or an injustice. Second place and two points off QPR, would you still be urging caution.

What I see of the club is a sense of determination and self belief to win and suceed. that comes across on the pitch as well. The teams that I have seen do well for City have also possessed that self belief. Thats why no games will be easy, but no games will be such that City won''t have the chance, and ability, to win.

I was lucky enough to go up by coach to see City beat Man Utd in the cup. i don''t remember much about the game but I do remember listening to an interview with one of the City players a decade or so back. His words were something like "Man Utd expected to win, we wanted to win ... and we did"

Don''t ever underestimate the importance of that determination beacuse far too many good players and good teams have.

another football cliche - the league table doesn''t lie...we are 3rd on merit and shouldn''t fear anyone in this league (other than perhaps QPR or Cardiff) and long may we continue this good form...

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]another football cliche - the league table doesn''t lie...we are 3rd on merit and shouldn''t fear anyone in this league (other than perhaps QPR or Cardiff) and long may we continue this good form...[/quote]

I hate this cliche, and I also think it''s wrong. To help the OP''s point, I actually think the table always lies, except for 2 times in the year. 1 - At the start of the year, when everyone is on zero points, and 2 - at the end of the season, when everyone has played each other twice, one home, once away.

I think we''ve made a great start, but I too look at who we''ve played, and who we''ve got coming, and I''m sure we''ll slide down the table. I hope I''m wrong and we do finish close to where we are now on the table, but I think we''ve got a lot better oppo''s coming in the next few months.

Too early to be making anything out of league positionsConfidence if we keep winning will be key but I dont want to think about what might have happened if Fryatt and stayed on or had startedGames change on the smallest thing

Far to sensible...we will win the leagure this season..then qualify for the champions league nxt season by finishing second in the Prem aswell as winning the FA and Carling cup[;)]

Absolutely, anyone can take points of the bottom teams

As QPR and Leeds proved last night

ps a word of advice to the more superstitious on here - the team does not lose or drop points because of speculation by the fans - we are not ''tempting fate'' by suggesting that the team is good enough to beat various other teams, nor are we daft enough to think that that ''ability'' is enough on it''s own to win games