Sign in to follow this  
First Wazzock

Wazzy's Ref Watch

City v Hull

Ref David Foster

There were no major incidents or flashpoints in todays game, and Ref Foster allowed a few superb ''play ons''. There were a few niggly fouls that went unpunished, but the Ref ignored the falling about and play acting. He did however stop the game (unnecessarily?) a few times just before a corner was about to be taken, my question here is, why not allow the game to continue and either award a free kick to the defending team or a peanlty to the attacking side?That would cut it all out at the next corner.

Verdict - Reasonably good 7

I don''t think the Hull players helped matters very much. From the first whistle to the last, they were amazingly cynical in their approach to the game. Time-wasting, stealing yards from throw-ins and freekicks and just their general approach to the game.

Wasn''t the best refereeing display I''ve ever seen but it was made very hard for the guy

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

City v Hull

Ref David Foster

There were no major incidents or flashpoints in todays game, and Ref Foster allowed a few superb ''play ons''. There were a few niggly fouls that went unpunished, but the Ref ignored the falling about and play acting. He did however stop the game (unnecessarily?) a few times just before a corner was about to be taken, my question here is, why not allow the game to continue and either award a free kick to the defending team or a peanlty to the attacking side?That would cut it all out at the next corner.

[/quote]

That''s a very well written and professional report [Y]

[quote user="First Wazzock"]

City v Hull

Ref David Foster

[/quote]

Spot on Wazzy. The eyesight''s obviously improving....[H]

yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son.

But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not

[quote user="Nolly"]yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son.

But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not[/quote]The problem is if a ref were to give a penalty for pushing in the box, the fans, players and manager would be apoplectic with rage.Im personally in favour of indirect free kicks for pushes, handballs and offences of that variety against the defending team. I would only give a penalty if a goal scoring opportunity has been prevented. Refs are too afraid to award game-changing penalties for minor offences, and given how fans and management react to such things I dont blame them!

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Nolly"]yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son. But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not[/quote]

The problem is if a ref were to give a penalty for pushing in the box, the fans, players and manager would be apoplectic with rage.

Im personally in favour of indirect free kicks for pushes, handballs and offences of that variety against the defending team. I would only give a penalty if a goal scoring opportunity has been prevented. Refs are too afraid to award game-changing penalties for minor offences, and given how fans and management react to such things I dont blame them!
[/quote]

Why is it that the only players penalised for pushing/jostling at corner kicks are attackers? Never defenders. Don''t bother giving a reply, I know the answer !!

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Nolly"]yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son.

But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not[/quote]The problem is if a ref were to give a penalty for pushing in the box, the fans, players and manager would be apoplectic with rage.Im personally in favour of indirect free kicks for pushes, handballs and offences of that variety against the defending team. I would only give a penalty if a goal scoring opportunity has been prevented. Refs are too afraid to award game-changing penalties for minor offences, and given how fans and management react to such things I dont blame them![/quote]Bump for Wazzock. As an ref it would be interesting to see his take on the above, its something ive banged on about for ages so would be good to know if its workable!

Don''t remember a ref ever giving a penalty for a foul in the box whilst awaiting a corner, and I cannot imagine it will happen - unless it''s a clear fit of rage ie elbow to the face.

[quote user="Largey"]Don''t remember a ref ever giving a penalty for a foul in the box whilst awaiting a corner, and I cannot imagine it will happen - unless it''s a clear fit of rage ie elbow to the face.[/quote]

If the ball isn''t in play he can''t give a penalty in any case, although in a case like the one you suggest he could obviously send the man off.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Nolly"]yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son. But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not[/quote]

The problem is if a ref were to give a penalty for pushing in the box, the fans, players and manager would be apoplectic with rage.

Im personally in favour of indirect free kicks for pushes, handballs and offences of that variety against the defending team. I would only give a penalty if a goal scoring opportunity has been prevented. Refs are too afraid to award game-changing penalties for minor offences, and given how fans and management react to such things I dont blame them!
[/quote]

Bump for Wazzock. As an ref it would be interesting to see his take on the above, its something ive banged on about for ages so would be good to know if its workable!
[/quote]

Ex Ref (sadly).

The laws clearly state what should be given, but as you say Refs don''t give penalties unless they are major offences. The penalty we got against Leicester was (in my opinion) a good call. Why would you have an arm in that position other than to try and block the ball with it, therefore intentional handball. Although I do have to say we do have a ridiculous number of penalties given when the ball has struck the players arm and teh palyer cant get out of the way so the ball has not been intentionally played by the player (dont forget the rules say the ball must be played by the hand or arm - hand to ball not ball to hand.

The problem with giving indirect free kicks in the opponents penalty area is that usually they are so close to the goal you end up with the scenario of having 11 players on the goal line and in a lot of cases they may not even be 10 yards from the ball. Which means that normally is doesn''t result in a goal for the attacking team. If you wanted to give penalties for denial of goal scoring opportunities you would end up with possibly one or two in a season, as they are usually controvertial too.

[quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Trent Canary"][quote user="Nolly"]yes a good report Wazzy and i agree with your comments about corners. I said the same thing at the game to my son. But its not just todays ref, they all do it, stop all the pushing, holding etc before a corner is taken, then nothing when it is taken. Do they all suddenly stop cause they''ve been told off, cause not[/quote]

[/quote]

Bump for Wazzock. As an ref it would be interesting to see his take on the above, its something ive banged on about for ages so would be good to know if its workable!
[/quote]

Ex Ref (sadly).

The laws clearly state what should be given, but as you say Refs don''t give penalties unless they are major offences. The penalty we got against Leicester was (in my opinion) a good call. Why would you have an arm in that position other than to try and block the ball with it, therefore intentional handball. Although I do have to say we do have a ridiculous number of penalties given when the ball has struck the players arm and teh palyer cant get out of the way so the ball has not been intentionally played by the player (dont forget the rules say the ball must be played by the hand or arm - hand to ball not ball to hand.

The problem with giving indirect free kicks in the opponents penalty area is that usually they are so close to the goal you end up with the scenario of having 11 players on the goal line and in a lot of cases they may not even be 10 yards from the ball. Which means that normally is doesn''t result in a goal for the attacking team. If you wanted to give penalties for denial of goal scoring opportunities you would end up with possibly one or two in a season, as they are usually controvertial too.

Interesting to see from the highlights on the Beeb....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9045277.stm

...that the linesman didn''t even seem to notice the handball for the penalty. I think someone mentioned after the game that he''d given Holt offside when it deflected off a Leicester player? It didn''t deflect, it was a proper pass! There was general incredulity around him, notably from Lambert.

[quote user="MPR"]Interesting to see from the highlights on the Beeb.... http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9045277.stm ...that the linesman didn''t even seem to notice the handball for the penalty. I think someone mentioned after the game that he''d given Holt offside when it deflected off a Leicester player? It didn''t deflect, it was a proper pass! There was general incredulity around him, notably from Lambert.[/quote]

Yeah, I clearly saw that from where I sit.

I put that on the Ref watch for the Leicester game - this thread is going back to the Hull game!