Sign in to follow this  
MrFruit

Spurs v NCFC today

XI beat Norwich

29 September 2010

Spurs XI team delivered a five-star show in the second half to beat Norwich City 4-0 in a training ground friendly on Wednesday.

Tim Sherwood admitted he was less than pleased with the first half display against the Canaries at Spurs Lodge.

It remained goalless in that first 45 minutes but goalkeeper Oscar Jansson was called on a few times to keep the visitors at bay.

At the other end, Paul Jose M''poku struck the woodwork and Sandro saw an effort cleared off the line.

It was all change in the second half though.

Kudus Oyenuga opened the scoring five minutes into the half after Harry Kane unselfishly drew the goalkeeper and squared for the striker to slot home.

It was soon 2-0 as Kyle Naughton and M''poku released Nathan Byrne into the box, he beat a couple of defenders and crossed for Oyenuga to head onto the crossbar and Tom Carroll was there to bury the rebound.

The third goal arrived after 75 minutes with Kane maintaining his fine run of form in front of goal, latching onto Carroll''s precise pass before finishing one-on-one.

Jesse Waller Lassen completed the scoring in the 83rd minute when he finished well from a tight angle.

"I was pleased because we recovered from a poor passing performance in the first half," said Tim.

"I said at half-time that we had to pick things up in the second half and it almost means more to be able to turn things around like that. It shows real character.

"Apart from that, it was great to see Sandro get another 90 minutes and I''ve got to say Kyle Naughton''s attitude was fantastic."

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Well, why would a spurs X1, be playing against the Norwich team, the day after a game, and the day Spurs have a game?[/quote]No reserve league for Norwich so match fitness for City''s fringe players...

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So, its basically Spurs Reserves vs Norwich resevers, not Spurs X1 vs Norwich...[/quote]More or less - Rudd, S Smith, Fox, Hughes, Johnson....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]So, its basically Spurs Reserves vs Norwich resevers, not Spurs X1 vs Norwich...[/quote]I don''t think you''ve quite grasped what they mean when they say XI. It''s always like a select - youth, primarily, and fringe players. When we played Man Utd XI in a friendly season before last, it was primarily youth. They dont mean the first team.

I do know what it means....

But this makes it sound like the friendlies...When it is essentially a reserve match....

I don''t quite understand why you think i haven''t grasped it... i haven''t even mentioned the Spurs players, i know its not their first team, they are playing in the Champions league.... Its just the way it said Spurs XI vs Norwich, when it clearly should be Spurs Reserves vs Norwich Reserves...

[quote user="26mjw"][quote user="Gingerpele"]So, its basically Spurs Reserves vs Norwich resevers, not Spurs X1 vs Norwich...[/quote]

I don''t think you''ve quite grasped what they mean when they say XI. It''s always like a select - youth, primarily, and fringe players. When we played Man Utd XI in a friendly season before last, it was primarily youth. They dont mean the first team.
[/quote]

I think he understood that bit but the OP made it look like we played our first team not reserves and youth.

"Its just the way it said Spurs XI vs Norwich, when it clearly should be Spurs Reserves vs Norwich Reserves... "

wrong

It could be the youths as well, a player who is a regular getting back to fitness and even a triallist or two

Yeah....Youths and a triallist or two can play for reserves as well...

Neither team was a first team....therefore they where both reserve teams....especially since it was a mix of first team and youth etc players.... XI is essentially the same as reserves (apart from the XI teams we play in friendlies, tend to be all mainly youths, as often the main team will be playing friendlies, so will have some of the squad players...)

Ginger Pele, I like you as a poster and you talk sense.

But please will you stop using so many needles commas? So off putting when you try to read your posts (which are good I may add).