Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Ink

Manager's paraphrases

I wish Lambert would stop that....

"What this team has done in a short space of time is unbelievable. When we came here a little over a year ago, we were near the bottom of League One and now we are third in the Championship"

Every interview he seems to refer to where we were when he took over!

It''s getting a bit like Worthy with his "can''t complain, the lads put the effort in" quotes all the time.

Time to move on. We are not a bottom League 1 club that is shooting way above our station. We are basically a mid-Championship level team that is performing a little above expectations right now.

Always something to moan about! I don''t care what he say in his interviews if he is putting NCFC back on the map and only 1 point from second!

To be honest at the end of the day I was as sick as a parrot to hear Lambert make those remarks -

but to be honest it is a game of two halves and when all is said and done the boy done good and as far as the result is concerned I am over the moon

He is clearly a manager who sees the positives in every aspect of the club and our matches, and I can''t say that''s a bad thing. Would you want your boss shooting you down after a mistake or telling you just keepmyour head down and you will do well next time?

I thought he done excellent. (Can''t argue with 3rd place - he can say what he likes provided he keeps the players motivated - and he seems to be doing that perfectly well. Not exactly telling porkies is he?).

Aren''t the manager''s obliged to make pre and post match comments?  I can''t blame them (it''s not just Lambert) for trotting out the same quotes to fulfill that obligation.  Better that than someone rambling on about stuff that has nothing to do with them (Allardyce, Redknapp).

As a previous poster said, it''s what he says to the players that counts.

For goodness sake! He could say,

""What this team has done in a short space of time is unbelievable. When we came here a little over a year ago, we were near the bottom of League One and now we are third in the Championship"

or

"What this team has done in a short space of time is unbelievable. Since promotion and 10 games into the season we are third in the Championship"

Whats the difference? I would have thought the last thing he thought about for 90 mins was what he was going to say during the post match interview. Things must be good if all there is to complain about is how good the manager says we are and where we''ve come from

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

"What this team has done in a short space of time is unbelievable. When we came here a little over a year ago, we were near the bottom of League One and now we are third in the Championship"

It''s getting a bit like Worthy with his "can''t complain, the lads put the effort in" quotes all the time.

Time to move on. We are not a bottom League 1 club that is shooting way above our station. We are basically a mid-Championship level team that is performing a little above expectations right now.

[/quote]

The expectations of who?

I don''t think your comments represent even a tiny minority supporters or posters.

Lambert can say what he wants, he has us in the top three performing above our exceptions for the season so far. If this is the only thing you have to moan about I''ll assume you are happy with everything else?

I bet you''re one of those people have to find something to complain about, no matter what - sucks to be you - the rest of us can enjoy the football while you stress out about what Lambert will say in his post match comments.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

[/quote]

Good god, man; get a grip! I suggest you don''t listen to the post-match interviews if the content bothers you so much.

What is it that Lambert is paraphrasing, anyway!!?

[quote user="Linighans nose"]I think it''s just his way of keeping everyones feet on the ground. If he starts shooting off about how great we are we''re sitting ducks for other teams[/quote]

Exactly! This is an unbelievable thing to be moaning about when you consider the crud we''ve had to put up with for the last couple of years - hahah [:D]

As well as that, it''s also a bit of positive reinforcement for the players in public. Lambert doesn''t seem the sort of manager who''ll hang players out to dry, and he may well be different in private, but in the papers he has these stock phrases that remind the players how far they''ve come, how well they''ve done, and how quickly they''ve done it. It''s a good way of forging team spirit, and Martin O''Neill often did the same, always reminding people about how far Villa came from when they were close to the bottom, how much they''ve achieved, how well they did when a bad result or performance happened. The real stuff will be happening on the training pitch, but in public this seems a successful tactic.

It must be a laugh a minute being in your company Dr Ink.

All he is doing is making sure we all remember how far this team has come in a very short space of time and not to get carried away when we win or too despondent when we get beat.

If that''s all you can think about when the team is sitting 3rd in the CHAMPIONSHIP then I suggest you get yourself the season review for 2008/2009 then come and tell us how lucky we are to have a manager like Paul Lambert.

I am extremely happy with Lambo as the manager, and I have utmost respect for him. I just think it''s time he moved on from the "we were a bottom league 1 club" story.

How about some ambition - "we will really push onand try and make the top 2" for example.

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

I am extremely happy with Lambo as the manager, and I have utmost respect for him. I just think it''s time he moved on from the "we were a bottom league 1 club" story.

How about some ambition - "we will really push onand try and make the top 2" for example.

[/quote]

Haven''t you seen we are 1 point off the top 2, does he need to tell us this is where he wants to be? It relieves any pressure on the players, would you like to play for a manager who keep telling them they have to get to the top 2 or its a failure, or for a boss who tells them how far they have come and that what they are currently doing is a fantastic achievement? I know i''d prefer the second 1

[quote user="ryan1992"][quote user="Dr. Ink"]

[/quote]

Haven''t you seen we are 1 point off the top 2, does he need to tell us this is where he wants to be? It relieves any pressure on the players, would you like to play for a manager who keep telling them they have to get to the top 2 or its a failure, or for a boss who tells them how far they have come and that what they are currently doing is a fantastic achievement? I know i''d prefer the second 1

[/quote]

Haven''t you seen we were way down in League 1 at this time last year? Does he need to keep telling us this?

Personally I''d prefer to be driven on and pushed forward, rather than to be told you are effectively over achieving. But hey ho, it''s good we''re all different. Just on this one I''m right and you''re wrong![;)]

Lambert has hardly put a foot wrong either on the touchline or in interviews. In stark contrast to certain previous incumbents and incompetents who put their foot in it every time they opened their mouths. He is right to steer clear of waxing lyrical or pontificating on this that and the other. His interviews hardly ever last longer than 3.5 minutes! I hope this time next year he will still be reminding us of our perilous position when he took over as we rise up the prem table...oops tempting fate. Listen, Chris....there''s an absolute country mile to go...........

[quote user="Dr. Ink"]

[/quote]

When he took over we were an absolute shambles and we would have probably festered away in that division for many seasons but for his intervention. It should also be remembered that since we were first relegated from the Premier League in 1995 that we have only achieved 2 top 6 finishes in that time. We have by in large struggled at this level since being here and the vast majorities of seasons we have been looking over our shoulder at the relegation zone. While we might be big championship club in size, performance (the one thing that actually matters) would dictate otherwise. So Lambert is bang on for me and we should remember that.

[quote user="macdougalls perm"]

[quote user="Linighans nose"]I think it''s just his way of keeping everyones feet on the ground. If he starts shooting off about how great we are we''re sitting ducks for other teams[/quote]

Exactly! This is an unbelievable thing to be moaning about when you consider the crud we''ve had to put up with for the last couple of years - hahah [:D]

[/quote]I''m in this corner. Lambert may not be the best in front of the media.  But  when it''s just him, his management team and the squad.  He''s no fool imo.

I think he''s great. I like the way I feel his interviews reflect the way the whole club is probably being run these days - positively, realistically, ambitiously and fairly.

I think if I had achieved something similar to him in just 13 months in a managerial role, I would also feel personally quite proud and could n''t help but compare the position we were in to the one today. I feel when he refers to how far the club has come in such a short space of time, he is giving himself - rightly and fairly in imo - a little pat on the back. He always goes on to mention the contributions of everyone at the club as well. Roeder used to do something similar when refering to his first season here, but in a much more egotistical tone as if he wanted the credit for everything. 

I do, though, prefer hearing "The lads have done terrific" as it normally follows a positive performance / result, as opposed to "Don''t forget what this team has done in a short space of time is unbelievable", which is often a note of realism after a slightly disappointing result. Overall, I think he does a pretty good job in front of the media. I think his encouraging attitude must cultivate a real positive rapport between him and the players. Can only be a good thing -  as the last 13 months have shown.

Couldn''t care less what he says to the media.  He clearly says the right things in the dressing room, on the training pitch and in the board room.

Suppose he could always take a leaf out of Roeder''s book and tell the whole world that a player like Lappin  "knows his future is elsewhere because we have have enough left backs in the squad" or  come up with something really nasty to say about Neil Adams.Talking to the media may be part of Lambert''s job but being good at it is neither here nor there if he gets the other bit right.