Sign in to follow this  
Old Boy

Headless chickens coming home to roost...

OK - things are bad, but not worse than most of us expected when we got promoted. Progress needs to be made on all fronts - squad size and quality, transfer policy, coaching, communications between board and fans, Radio Norfolk commentary, police policy in videoing the Barclay when there''s no likelihood of trouble, etc., but swapping one under-achieving player for another in a panic, or buying a dodgy prospect (and, let''s face it, we''d have to pay way over the odds for any prospect that wasn''t dodgy, given our newbie status in the Prem), or booing our players (who are trying, even when they fail), or kicking the manager out, is NOT the answer.

The truth is that all our players have shortcomings, and so does the manager, and the board, but I don''t see today the slough of chaos and apathy that NCFC was sunk in just a few years back. Let''s just be thankful for that. I''m not saying that everything''s great - far from it - and constructive pressure from the fans on boards like this must be a good thing, but it doesn''t take much to bring out the headless chicken in some people.

What I think you are saying is that we all need to try to see the bigger picture over the longer term rather than just seeing our current plight and the next match on the horizon. 

There''s a lot of sense in what you say but there''s no doubt that it''s hard to think this way all the time because we are so desperate to stay where we are as it''s taken such an effort, not to mention a long time, to get there.  Still you''re right that things are much much better now than they were in those days when I was being locked in the City Stand at the end of a game because there were protests going on outside and no stewards were allowed to leave until the crowds had dispersed. 

Heaven forbid that we ever return to those scenes again!

[quote]What I think you are saying is that we all need to try to see the bigger picture over the longer term rather than just seeing our current plight and the next match on the horizon. There''s a lot of ...[/quote]

susie

i suppose i should apologise for being one of those keeping you locked in the city stand after games.  Outside it was far worse, being charged with police horses, being kicked by policemen (not joking!) and being spat on by fellow city fans

it was not a pleasant time and things are much better now, and i don''t expect anything to ever be perfect, much as we would like it to be, but all those years ago we knew we had a cause to fight, and we got rid of a man who would have taken this wonderful club of ours (not his as he always liked to believe) out of existance

i made many great and long standing friends during that time and never regreat taking the stance i did, although it was difficult at the time as the kids were quite young then.

we do have much to be thankful for and that is why, i for one, get frustrated when things go wrong.  Because of one man''s greed and inept business acumen we were relegated and spent nine long years in division one, to say nothing of all those great players he sold!

I know there are many people on this forum who didn''t boycott during the chase era, but for me personally it helped me through the worst time in my supporting life and made last May the more sweeter!

I hope, gazza, not for one minute that you think I didn''t feel just the same as you guys did on the outside - it was just strange at that time to be on the inside, if you see what I mean. 

Most of the stewards I worked with would have loved to have unlocked the door and come and joined you (myself included), and, without doubt, I shall always be grateful that there were people like your good self who managed to move the seemingly immovable object!!!