Sign in to follow this  
Canary_on_the Trent

Away Form

Pld 5 W 3 D 1 L 1 F 7 A 4 Pts 10     

It may just be me but I feel we''re far stronger away from home, especially defensively. Our only defeat was at Doncaster when the diamond was ditched and we shipped 3 goals.

The reason behind this in my opinion is because away from home we go out to be organised and to keep the shape. The diamond formation requires a lot of discipline and restraint because it''s very vulnerable to the counter attack if certain players leave their position, away from home we''re able to stay patient and keep the shape but at home players are perhaps a bit too gung ho with the pressure of the home crowd and opposition teams sitting back, they vacate vital positions in an attempt to force a goal and leave us vulnerable.

It''s nice to have good away form this season and last season after 10 years of crap form on the road!!

Away form is crucial to success in the league an I too am impressed with how we''ve performed away from home so far. I think we have set out to be organised and solid defensively at home as well as away. It seems as though we are happy to let the opposition have lots of possession in front of us but then attack quickly on the break. With our system, it is easy to turn more attacking if we go behind.  I know what you mean about the pressure from the home fans to be more attacking and it might well be this that has led to us conceeding so many more goals at home. I find it infuriating when the fans moan about sideways or backwards passes when retaining possession is such an important part of the game at this level and the players seem to respond by trying to do too much and giving the ball away cheaply quite often. I''m not gona complain if we win 4-3 every time though!