Sign in to follow this  
pennywise

to all those who said russell martin wasn't that good

where are you now eh ?  yep thats right its all gone rather quiet ...you should all just shut your mouths and have some faith in lamber  [:D]

[quote user="CaptainHoltsControversialJokes"]The problem is...He isn''t really that good.[/quote]I think he''s pretty good.

What are you basing the ''He isn''t really that good'' on?

In that actim index thingy (which is really the only stats you can base player performances on) he was fairly high up on that, can''t have been too many Right backs above him, that puts him as one of the best performing right backs in the league doesn''t it?

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="CaptainHoltsControversialJokes"]The problem is...He isn''t really that good.[/quote]

I think he''s pretty good.
[/quote]

One of our most consistent performers this season as the Actim ratings prove.

The bandwagon has been silenced following a series of solid performances by Russell Martin. You still hear the odd boos when he misplaces a pass or something, but they are quickly hushed.

What do you mean he is really not that good? He''s been arguably our best defender and has helped attacking wise as well. You obviously haven''t got a clue, either that or you were being sarcastic.

Russell Martin is just another in the "quite good player but we need somebody to moan about so we''ll choose him" brigade, joining his predecessors Andy Hughes and Simon Lappin.

[quote user="Largey"]The bandwagon has been silenced following a series of solid performances by Russell Martin. You still hear the odd boos when he misplaces a pass or something, but they are quickly hushed.[/quote]

they''re just biding their time largey [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]where are you now eh ?  yep thats right its all gone rather quiet ...you should all just shut your mouths and have some faith in lamber  [:D][/quote]What a ridiculous self promoting post.All those who said Russell Martin WAS rubbish were right, because when he first joined City he was and looked no better than Otsemobor. BUT, as a caller on Canary Call today said, he is one of our most improved players this season. I was one to have a pop at Martin last season, but now i dont think anyone is, and those who were slating him have no doubt all changed there minds, given Martin''s much improved performances this season.So, Martin was rubbish and rightly labelled, but now he''s good so weve all changed our minds!!!!! You should just shut your mouth, forever.

I don''t think he was rightly labelled as rubbish, he''s not premiership standard that is for certain but week in week out he works his socks off, he''s not the best going forward but defends well and covers his centre halves when needed to.

His biggest problem is that he is the right back in a team where everyones favourite is the left back, funny how when Drury has a quiet game or gets skinned like he did on Tuesday he still gets put up on a pedestal!

Not saying he''s not good as he''s been one he''ll of a servant but there are parts of his game that aren''t faultless! Not suggesting that Martin is better, just different but I do think he gets harshly criticised for the slightest thing.

I thought he was better last season, but most people see it the other way round. Fair enough, I realise that my opinion isn''t everyones and that I probably should''ve have put ''I think''.

[quote user="pennywise "]huckerbys boots matt... me self promoting ? oh the irony  [:D][/quote]how so Penny? i promote my website, not myself.

The truth is Russell Martins not that good but hes nowhere near as bad as what some fans make him out to be!

Hes done well for us so far but of course the fans have got to have a target and one of the biggest of them all the Doc is gone!

And as i have always said Russel Martin is good,and he will only get better the more he plays in this league.I am glad the boo boys have shut up now,just waiting for the next player too pick on........sweep stake on who it may be?

[quote user="canaryjock"]........another in the "quite good player ......joining his predecessors Andy Hughes [/quote]

LOL

The truth is probably that last season he was seen as relatively the weakest link in a very solid defence after Nelson silenced his critics and the Doc found his level.

This season he did look ropey against Watford but has proved to be largely annonymous since and has just got on with his job - no frills, no cock-ups, just reliability - what more do we want from a full back?

"In that actim index thingy ........ that puts him as one of the best performing right backs in the league doesn''t it? "

err,no

It merely reflects how so people have little grasp of the game and so will tread meaningless gibberish - in the same way the terminally tupid belkieve that horoscopes are a foretelling of your daily happenings.

As to his ability I think he''s a good player. He was a lower league player and there''s usually a good reason for that. But as others on here have said he''s improved, developed or stepped up.

ps a suggestion - not all posting on here criticising players or the club are necessarily City fans

Agree''d he has vastly improved and better competition has made him step up. In asking who the next target man is..... It is Ward, not in my opinion i think he is quality..... but wait 4 it/////

[quote user="pennywise "]where are you now eh ?  yep thats right its all gone rather quiet ...you should all just shut your mouths and have some faith in lamber  [:D][/quote]Not saying I don''t like him. Just nit 100% convinced about him

[quote user="pennywise "]where are you now eh ?  yep thats right its all gone rather quiet ...you should all just shut your mouths and have some faith in lamber  [:D][/quote]Not saying I don''t like him. Just nit 100% convinced about him