Sign in to follow this  
Jason Shackells limp Tackle

Askou not to get the nod if Ward is suspended?

From The main site: Even if Ward eventually faces a ban, Lambert is not unduly concerned because he said he had more than one option for a reshuffle at the back. “I can put Russell Martin in there if I have to, which I did against Millwall (last season). I don''t have a problem with what happens,” he said.

Maybe reading too muuch into it, however, if he''d move a recognised right back into a central berth ahead of a central defender, it doesn''t look good, does it?

I think the idea behind this is that Askou hasn''t had much ''match practice''. Could possibly mean R.martin to centre half with either Korey Smith or Francombe coming in at RB. If Ward did get a 5th yellow and this was to happen, it''s a chance and a half for whoever steps into midfield for Smith.

I saw that as well and I found that quite alarming. I think moving Russell Martin across would be a bad decision. Simply because you are then unsettling half the back four as the unproven George Francomb would then have to play at full back.It surely makes sense to make as few changes as possible and just put Askou in.  I think Russell Martin has done really well this season so far and the opta stats reflect that. So why unsettle him when there is a perfectly decent option available. 

As he said he has more than one option....the 1st option being Askou I assume. It all depends on other injuries opposition etc. He hasnt got alot wrong yet has he.......??

Lambert obviously does not rate Askou.Which is good, because I don''t either.  Though he does hold the record of "Norwich City Player Who Headed the Ball Furthest At A Game I Attended" when he cleared a cross with a header which crossed the halfway line.

[quote user="Mr. Chops"]Lambert obviously does not rate Askou.

Which is good, because I don''t either.  Though he does hold the record of "Norwich City Player Who Headed the Ball Furthest At A Game I Attended" when he cleared a cross with a header which crossed the halfway line.
[/quote]

Dont forget his clearance over the Jarrold either. That was a big boot.

[quote user="Jacko"]

[quote user="Mr. Chops"]Lambert obviously does not rate Askou.

Which is good, because I don''t either.  Though he does hold the record of "Norwich City Player Who Headed the Ball Furthest At A Game I Attended" when he cleared a cross with a header which crossed the halfway line.
[/quote]

Dont forget his clearance over the Jarrold either. That was a big boot.

[/quote]

Doherty and Nelson were better than Askou and Spillane. Ward and Barnett are better than Doherty and Nelson. Spillane is gone......

Centreback and fullback positions are completely different positions, managers who think otherwise are deluded!

Messing up one position in order to fill a hole elsewhere in the team should only be done as a last resort!

I shiver and cringe when I think of Shackell getting moved from CB (where he was playing well at the time) to play leftback by Gunn at that fateful relegation decider at Charlton 2 seasons ago.

Roeder playing Darel Russell in the centreforward position for a few games and Doherty playing rightback at Coventry a few seasons back are all examples of playing guys out of position and it not working.

If we lose a CB for whatever reason after today then Askou should step straight in which would be the sensible option. Messing up the rightback position where Russell Martins done more than OK this season despite him being the new fans target by moving him to CB would be silly particularly with Askou in the wings!

[quote user="cityislife"]Askou to fill in.........jeeeezz everyone slates him
[/quote]

I dont understand why everyone is slating him, I wouldn''t have any hesitation playing him when Wardy misses a game. Which games that hes played in has he played so badly?

I haven''t seen anyone slate him. But there are some who don''t think he''s as good as he is made out to be by some on here. I remember him missing the Cup game at Carlisle last season and Doc got slated on here with posters claiming that losing that game was proof that it was only Askou that held the defence together and made Doc look better than he was. The truth weas it was the other way around and Doc used to cover for Askous lack of pace and at times concentration.

Since he''s been out we haven''t missed him. Doc and Nelson were good enough to win League One. I felt we missed Doc until Barnett came here. We don''t miss him now. Ward and Barnett are the best pair we''ve had for years.

I tend to agree with GRD''s point about compromising two positions by playing Russell Martin in central defence. But it could be Lambert feels Askou may be better at RB anyway.