Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ten Game Assessment

I always say that you need 10 games on the board before making any realistic assessment of how the season will pan out. At the moment it looks like close to a 2 points per game average and that puts us in the auto promotion position which is certainly better than I was expecting.Personally I think we are unlikely to achieve that lofty goal but a playoff spot now looks a distinct possibility. There are still 36 games to go but I may start to get quite excited if things continue in a similar vein.OTBC

Agreed.  It would be stupid for City fans to start banging on about auto promotion.  One thing is clear though and that is that a Lambert team is more than the sum of it`s parts and the players are clearly happy with what is asked of them. 

If the fans can start packing out CR again and being a bit more supportive, and if players like Hoolihan and Crofts stay fit, it`s looking really good.

Spot on. there''s a long way to go, and some tough games to come over the next month, but football is all about momentum and we have it in spades at the moment. Keeping key players fit will be important, as will how much support the Board can give Lambert in January, but I''m really enjoying this!

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

One thing is clear though and that is that a Lambert team is more than the sum of it`s parts and the players are clearly happy with what is asked of them.

[/quote]A perceptive point, I think. True of Walker''s heyday side. Perhaps not so true of Stringer''s side. Further afield, true of Clough and O''Neill sides. Not that Lambert is anywhere near that level yet. But one gets the impression a defeat or two would not damage our morale.

I honestly say ''bring it on'' to the likes of QPR, Ipswich, Leeds and Cardiff. We can beat these teams. Just like anyone can beat anyone in this league. The key is consistency, and having the confidence after a disapointing result - 2 things we have.I felt that we COULD get an auto promotion slot at the start of the season, and I still stand by that. It will be tough, of course, but it is a possible and achievable target. We''ve started better than I ever expected though!

Exaclty..both of our teams will be full of confidence and know they can compete in this league.

Ok injuries etc might happen but worry about that later.

I''d did fancy you for a decent season but well done anyway.

Agreed.  It would be stupid for City fans to start banging on about auto promotion.  One thing is clear though and that is that a Lambert team is more than the sum of it`s parts and the players are clearly happy with what is asked of them. 

If the fans can start packing out CR again and being a bit more supportive, and if players like Hoolihan and Crofts stay fit, it`s looking really good

Just comparing our results from 2 years ago

10 games and a paltry 10 points

20 games and only 20 points

46 games and 46 points and relegation

We are making great progress probably are looking good to at least end up in the top half of the table

If we can achieve 13-15 points from the next 10 games we will be looking good for a top six challenge

I think the squad is strong enough to at least be in with a shout of the playoff - but I was not of that opinion before the season started

At the moment Crofts, Hoolahan and the centre backs need to be free from injuries and suspensions to make sure we have the ''first picks'' in the side week after week!!

On the Ball City

We have started very well, and some might say, without really hitting top form.

Holt, Hoolahan and Martin have all been less effective than last season (understandable, the opponents are of a higher quality) and a lot of our results have come from the hard graft of players like Crofts and Smith. Our defence hasn''t really been that solid either, not too bad, but not as good as it could be.

I think we are showing that we have good options in our squad. Ruddy has good back up in Rudd, Smith seems like he should be able to cover well enough for Drury (and in midfield as well) Francombe may yet get to feature at some point, and we can see what he has to offer, CB is slightly weaker, with Askou seemingly way out of favor, Whitbread, well we may never see him, but Nelson should be good competition (although we do have to buy/loan Barnett again come Jan.)

Midfield seems strong to me, we are yet to see how good Fox is, but i think he''t got something to offer, some think Hughes will be quite good if he gets a chance, and Gill seems solid enough if he stays here (not needing to go into detail with the first team 4, because they are all brilliant) and we have the Injured Surman, who i really believe/hope can add an extra spark when he returns....

And this is the most amazing part, out Strikers haven''t really been on form, Holt has ''lacked match fitness'' and Martin hasn''t scored...Jackson looks like he can bang them in fairly well (although we haven''t had that much to judge on yet) Not sure what Oli will do, he may not be good enough, but i don''t think he will be used that much this season, unless Holt/Martin/Jackson suffers a serious injury.

We then have a couple of youth players like Dawkins/Daley who may get an odd appearance to show us what they can do....

I think we have a fairly strong squad, for a team just promoted from the league bellow, and Lambert really does seem to know what he''s doing (with the exception of Donny, but maybe that was just a bad day....), i think out performances can only really get better (i think that most would agree, out of the 10 games, we have only really been on top form in 5/6 of them?)

I''m really optimistic that we can get a fairly high position this season :D (maybe not auto-promotion, I think QPR and Bellamy (not Cardiff, just Bellamy) are too strong for this league at the moment, they may falter, but unless Bellamy misses 50% + of Cardiff''s games, and QPR get a few injuries, that doesn''t seem likely.....)

OTBC

For all the worry regarding our firepower, we''re the 3rd top scorers in the league, which ain''t bad :)

I read it and thought it was a good post GP[Y]

I agree the midfield has been superb so far this season both going forwards and tracking back. This has been our biggest failing the last few seasons we were in the Championship before.

Now if only Bellamy hadn''t joined Cardiff & QPR wasn''t super rich we could be in the top 2!!

Top 6 is within our grasp but lots can happen yet and i still fancy a couple of other teams to hit form.

Next 2 games will see where we are!

And *if* we do go up, how long can we hang onto Lambert for? Can''t see it being long before a Villa or similar mid to upper table team come after him.

I''m with the "we musn''t get carried away" brigade here, but all the same the club are making it very difficult for me considering where we are and how well we are doing. Absolutely astonishing start to the season. However, looking at the fixture list for the forthcoming October and November games, one could be forgiven for cacking one''s pants slightly. All the same, we''ve done so well to come this far and these points we have picked up will be invaluable when we come up against much tougher opposition soon, least of all QPR, Leeds and Ipswich.

[quote user="Superflash"]I''m with the "we musn''t get carried away" brigade here, but all the same the club are making it very difficult for me considering where we are and how well we are doing. Absolutely astonishing start to the season. However, looking at the fixture list for the forthcoming October and November games, one could be forgiven for cacking one''s pants slightly. All the same, we''ve done so well to come this far and these points we have picked up will be invaluable when we come up against much tougher opposition soon, least of all QPR, Leeds and Ipswich. [/quote]Sorry I dont agree with that comment.I think we will do just fine against Leeds and Ips*&^%. QPR just might beat us but to be honest i see us getting 1-3 points off them.Remember we are playing teams off the park, OK we didnt score against Hull but that was because we didnt have our shooting boots on that day.Things are looking rosy just now, just hope we dont get any long term injury''s or suspensions.But as you say "Astonishing start to season"Lets see where we are come April-May see if we are in with a chance.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No one has to read all that by the way :P its probably all crap....[/quote]I remember when you first posted on here GP, your grammar and spelling weren''t so good and you got loads of abuse. If you remember, I advised you to download the Google toolbar as it included a spellchecker. I don''t know if you did but since then your posts have improved 100%. It would suggest that regular posting on here has been very beneficial to you. Good on yer GP. [Y]

Thanks lappinitup, havne''t got the Google toolbar now, but on Safari (on Mac, not sure if its same on Windows) it has a spellchecker anyway, but my spelling improved anyway, with at least 2 essays a month through Sixth Form.........

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Gingerpele"]No one has to read all that by the way :P its probably all crap....[/quote]I remember when you first posted on here GP, your grammar and spelling weren''t so good and you got loads of abuse. If you remember, I advised you to download the Google toolbar as it included a spellchecker. I don''t know if you did but since then your posts have improved 100%. It would suggest that regular posting on here has been very beneficial to you. Good on yer GP. [Y]

[/quote]

Yes, I''ve also noticed the improvement in GP''s spelling and grammar - who needs schools, universities etc when one has the Pink ''Un message board as a learning curve?Regarding the topic of this thread, I never do ''full'' assessments until exactly a quarter the way through a season - so don''t expect anything from me until the second half of the QPR fixture - and don''t get too excited then, ''cause I might well be at the match.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Fook me! Well meant or otherwise, that is a tad patronising!

"when we come up against much tougher opposition soon, least of all QPR, Leeds and Ipswich "

That''s priceless

Leeds ! The team that let in 11 goals against Barnsley and Preston - both of whom we beat.

The binners with their ramshacklr collection of kids, codgers and loanees.

QPR will certainly be a test but that is one game (and another later)/

Perhaps you, and a few others, might care to check on last seasons Div 1 table when Leeds and Charlton were running away with the league and were predicted to be promoted by February.

Or even Middlesboro who were put down as certs for automatic promotion.

QPR will be a massive test. They''re looking excellent and were my pick for the title this season. They''re organised at the back and fantastic going forward aswell as having the best manager in this league.

2nd place downwards is definately up for grabs though. With some astute additions in January I see no reason why we can''t at least push the other teams aiming for it.

In the absence of further serious injuries, there are reasons for hoping that our team will get better:

-Surman ought to be back after a few more games

-Smith S has shown enough to suggest that with match practice he will be a useful player

-Holt/Martin will improve, or will be dropped, and Jackson should be prolific with more experience for him and the team.

There are reasons for optimism. Even if we have further injuries, we have cover in most positions, although RB could be a problem if RM is injured.

Third is a good achievement, especially in view of the Watford self-destruction. If we could find a good striker in January, then a play-off place is a real possibility.

It is difficult to see us overtaking QPR, and while Bellamy remains fit Cardiff look too good, so this year an automatic promotion place looks impossible.

I think we have been a trifle fortunate with the way the fixtures have panned out so far.

But, Lambert and the players deserve huge credit for the way we have started the season.

I don''t think I''ve ever seen a more hard-working City team, which in this league counts for an awful lot.

Individual errors at the back are still a cause for concern, and I think we''d all be a bit happier if Holty started banging a few in.

But the emergence of Jackson yesterday is huge. If he turns out to be a genuine force in this league - and I''m aware that two goals against the bottom club doesn''t make a summer - then we have a few decent options up front.

Personally, finishing in the top six would be a fabulous achievement. But, whatever happens, isn''t it great to have a team we can really get behind.

on the ball, City.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]And *if* we do go up, how long can we hang onto Lambert for? Can''t see it being long before a Villa or similar mid to upper table team come after him.
[/quote]

No word of a lie. PL is on the Man U radar.

Do Man.U have a radar? are the planning on killing Sir Alex off, don''t think he''s going to retire while he''s still alive :P