Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

martin or Jackson for the next few games

Given that Holt is one of the first names on the teamsheet who should partner him? Jackson has pace and scored a good goal against swansea but at the moment is waiting his chance. I hope that he can cut it at this level and think he probably can

martin is the enigma for me. He has a very fine shot and was a big plus for us last season. I think he is finding it much harder this year against better defenders. For me his shots and eye for goal are his strengths but he lacks pace and seems knocked off the ball regularly. Early days i know but 1 goal in 8 in the league is not promising. he looked much more dangerous and dare i say at his level against Gillingham in the cup. I would probably keep him as first choice for 2 or 3 more games but if the goals dont come then Jackson needs to be given a run

Whos he been getting knocked off the ball by? When i have seen him, he has been showing real strength, much better than last season....

Jackson deserves a break especially after today.

Martin isn''t a team player so with nothing between his ears will probably ask for a transfer or smack someone in training. He''s had enough chances on and off the pitch and blown em. Leopards and spots

Lewie....Holt has scored ONE more than Martin, and Martin provided strength as well, my first thought when i saw MArtin in pre-season is how much stronger he appeared to be....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Lewie....Holt has scored ONE more than Martin, and Martin provided strength as well, my first thought when i saw MArtin in pre-season is how much stronger he appeared to be....[/quote]He also has a good free kick going for him aswell which provides goals i agree with ginger that his strengh has improved aswell

[quote user="NCFC-47"]i would start martin and jackson holt onn bench
[/quote]

Erm, cast your mind back to Watford, pretty sure we done bugger all until Holt came on.  I know it was the first game of the season, and the whole team were poor, but we were especially lacking up top without Holt.  Holt has to start every game where possible, Martin CANNOT do his job.

Martin and Jackson combination would not work, they each need to play off a target man. Holt whilst finding it harder at this level is a workhorse and a constant threat to teams. In the absence of a simular type of player at the club he has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet IMO. He is getting fitter, he had no pre season due to injury and we will see better from him as the season progresses

I can''t believe that some are calling for Holt to be dropped. As has been mentioned he provides much needed strength up-front. Holt has also set up numerous goals this season and people seem to forget this.

Could be a case of martin at home and Jackson awayJackson''s pacce when having to defend more in away games will be a major asset and martin physic at home when we bully teams more.Sub one for the other during the game ( wherever it is)  Jackson is going to be very good

[quote user="NCFC-47"]i would start martin and jackson holt onn bench
[/quote]

I hope Lambert doesn''t think like you!

Without Holt we would lose most of our presence up front and the ball wouldn''t stick. This was proved in the recent game at Doncaster after Holt came off and even last season when he was suspended. Holts not untouchable like some fans have claimed but hes the best we''ve got up front and until we get someone better he will always play if hes able to!

Jacksons edged ahead of Martin at the moment but Martins a great substitute!

[quote user="KenBrown"]Could be a case of martin at home and Jackson away

Jackson''s pacce when having to defend more in away games will be a major asset and martin physic at home when we bully teams more.

Sub one for the other during the game ( wherever it is) 

Jackson is going to be very good

[/quote]

This is a good idea in theory but might end up having a negative affect on the team due to a lack of continuity up front. Unless a team plays a very deep back line Jackson is likely to be a bigger threat than Marin,just,at the moment. As long as we play the ball over the last defenders shoulder and not into Jacksons feet I think we could get alot of joy. As for the Martin playing with Jackson argument, it just wont work. It''s been tried before and personally the two players don''t gel well enough, due to their playing style. This isn''t to say Martin doesn''t have the quality, I just don''t think it works as a combination. In an ideal world we would have direct competition for Holt in terms of an all out target man. These players dont come cheap though and maybe at our stage of financial recovery fans need to be a little more realistic - we have already payed for a very good squad of players. Next year could be a very big year for us.

Saw Jackson''s goals today, well taken ans will give him loads of confidence for the next game, so wish we didn''t have a 2 week break now.