Sign in to follow this  
QueensHills Canary

soccer am after city fans!!!!!!

"Arthur "Jedward" Whittle"]I''m with mainline on this. You may very well laugh it off but it is just one of the many things sky has done to change the face of British football and not for the better IMO.

Please give an example of how Soccer Am has affected Norwich City for the worse? Not having a pop, just interested.

[quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

I hold Soccer AM, and everybody who has ever watched it or been involved in making it, wholly* responsible for the bloated, dumbed down, fucktarded coverage of football we have to put up with in this country. Can we not tell them and their gurning, landfill indie loving, celebrity obsessed presenters to bugger off?

[/quote]

Jesus Christ.

Its not a post-modernist Dostoyevsky adaptation. Its a bunch of mates having a laugh in a studio, probably still slightly half-cut from the night before.

You know, like most normal young people on a Saturday morning.

[/quote]

That would be fine if it stayed in that particular studio but it doesn''t. It seeps into every other football programme and influences the content of shows that should be offering serious analysis of the game rather than being ''a bunch of mates having a laugh in a studio''. So we get Adrian Chiles and Colin Murray and their painfully unfunny skits on MOTD2 and ITV and Lineker''s embarrasing puns and jokey links with Hansen and Shearer on a Saturday night. All influenced by Soccer AM and the dumbing down of the sport in general.

It''s our acceptance of such nonsense that allows Alan Shearer to announce to the nation that he knew nothing about Hatem Ben Arfa after he scored his first goal for Newcastle the other week. Sorry Alan but that''s your job. You''re the expert and we''re the viewer. You''re supposed to impart your knowledge to improve our experience of watching MOTD. Why can''t we have some pundits on who could actually teach us something. They don''t even have to be ex-footballers, there are plenty of decent journalists who could offer more tactical analysis that the likes of Shearer, Redknapp and Townsend. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gabriele Marcotti on ITV''s Champions League highlights on Wednesday night. I''m not a huge fan of his but at least you get the impression that he''s thought about the game a bit.

When I''m watching football I want the experts to give me information that I don''t know and help me understand the game better. I''m sick of watching MOTD/ITV/Sky and hearing some tosser drone over the replay of a goal that "he''s shown great pace there, beaten his man and that''s a great finish". I KNOW THAT, I JUST F*CKING WATCHED IT!!!! Tell me something diferent FFS. If you''re an ex-striker with hundreds of top flight goals to your name then why not let us know why it''s a great finish, how difficult that skill is, how it feels to bear down on goal and how you decide where you''re going to place the ball. Share your experiences, that''s why you''re an expert being paid great chunks of licence fee payers cash and I''m sitting at home half-cut, in my pyjamas, swearing at the TV.

Soccer AM, and all of the slack jawed simpletons who tune in every week, has provided the fertile breeding ground for the dumbing down of football in this country. Don''t come complaining to me when the punditry at the next World Cup is done by Lady GaGa, Noel Gallagher and Katie Price.

[quote user="Shack Attack"][quote user="Paul Lamberts Disciple"][quote user="Shack Attack"]

I hold Soccer AM, and everybody who has ever watched it or been involved in making it, wholly* responsible for the bloated, dumbed down, fucktarded coverage of football we have to put up with in this country. Can we not tell them and their gurning, landfill indie loving, celebrity obsessed presenters to bugger off?

[/quote]Jesus Christ.Its not a post-modernist Dostoyevsky adaptation. Its a bunch of mates having a laugh in a studio, probably still slightly half-cut from the night before.You know, like most normal young people on a Saturday morning.

[/quote]

That would be fine if it stayed in that particular studio but it doesn''t. It seeps into every other football programme and influences the content of shows that should be offering serious analysis of the game rather than being ''a bunch of mates having a laugh in a studio''. So we get Adrian Chiles and Colin Murray and their painfully unfunny skits on MOTD2 and ITV and Lineker''s embarrasing puns and jokey links with Hansen and Shearer on a Saturday night. All influenced by Soccer AM and the dumbing down of the sport in general.

It''s our acceptance of such nonsense that allows Alan Shearer to announce to the nation that he knew nothing about Hatem Ben Arfa after he scored his first goal for Newcastle the other week. Sorry Alan but that''s your job. You''re the expert and we''re the viewer. You''re supposed to impart your knowledge to improve our experience of watching MOTD. Why can''t we have some pundits on who could actually teach us something. They don''t even have to be ex-footballers, there are plenty of decent journalists who could offer more tactical analysis that the likes of Shearer, Redknapp and Townsend. I was pleasantly surprised to see Gabriele Marcotti on ITV''s Champions League highlights on Wednesday night. I''m not a huge fan of his but at least you get the impression that he''s thought about the game a bit.

When I''m watching football I want the experts to give me information that I don''t know and help me understand the game better. I''m sick of watching MOTD/ITV/Sky and hearing some tosser drone over the replay of a goal that "he''s shown great pace there, beaten his man and that''s a great finish". I KNOW THAT, I JUST F*CKING WATCHED IT!!!! Tell me something diferent FFS. If you''re an ex-striker with hundreds of top flight goals to your name then why not let us know why it''s a great finish, how difficult that skill is, how it feels to bear down on goal and how you decide where you''re going to place the ball. Share your experiences, that''s why you''re an expert being paid great chunks of licence fee payers cash and I''m sitting at home half-cut, in my pyjamas, swearing at the TV.

Soccer AM, and all of the slack jawed simpletons who tune in every week, has provided the fertile breeding ground for the dumbing down of football in this country. Don''t come complaining to me when the punditry at the next World Cup is done by Lady GaGa, Noel Gallagher and Katie Price.

[/quote]Totally agree. Personally I think Dixon is great pundit simply because he analyses things that we cant see from the highlights, how a defense has been organising itself and if, by watching the entire game, you could see the weaknesses that are exploited for goals. I read a pretty good article recently saying that it may be better if Linekar was a pundit, he knows his stuff and is a darn sight more articulate that Shearer.

is soccer Am still going? surely if a show this tired and mundane should be put to bed now.does anyone even bother with it anymore?

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]is soccer Am still going? surely if a show this tired and mundane should be put to bed now.does anyone even bother with it anymore?[/quote]Also now shown on the less expensive Sky One and reduced to two hours, won''t be long now....

[quote user="Shack Attack"]

[/quote]That''s quite the vitriolic polemic, Shack, and I broadly agree with your comments on the poor general standard of sport coverage and punditry.However, if you treat Soccer AM as nothing more than a light entertainment ''youth'' programme you''ll be alot more comfortable with it. To me, it''s merely a less cerebral, Saturday morning version of TFI Friday (or, even, The Word before it) based upon a tenuous assocation with football as opposed to music.From that perspective I enjoy it, and I would like to think that doesn''t render me a ''slack-jawed simpleton''.

[quote user="liamcicada"]@Shack Attack

there are hundreds of other shows on hundreds of other channels. Maybe loose woman would be more to your taste.[/quote]Absolutely, but I thought we were talking about TV programs?Agree with everything Shack has said, apart from lumping Lady Gaga in with the Gallaghers and Katie Price. She makes a highly considered, post-modern comment on today''s entertainment industry, and is a proper pop star, like in the old days when I was a nipper.

[quote user="6088m canary"]It is absolutely moronic.....I agree it is symptomatic of the current attitude towards football.  Two "trendy" twentysomethings putting on mockney accents and generic chants that they may have heard down the pub once. Used to be a big fan of football focus....good interviews with managers,coaches,even groundstaff and fans. Half decent punditry.Soccer AM really is the white van man''s show of choice......and as such should it not have a much fitter presenter?!?! The daily star wouldnt put her on page three would they?!!?:P[/quote]Helen Chamberlain is certainly not in her twenties or puts on a mockney accent. and even if you don''t think shes fit I still would. don''t understand why people get upset about it - it doesn''t ever pretend to be a serious show, just a bit of a laugh on a football theme, if you don''t like it, don''t watch it!!

[quote user="Grow Up Mate"]Soccer am used to be great with Tim Lovejoy, Fenners and Sheephead, but since they all left it has gone downhill but its still decent.[/quote]

Used to watch it when Tim and Helen did it too but haven''t watched it much since Tim left as it doesn''t have the same appeal