Sign in to follow this  
Michael Starr

my Bristol City vs Norwich player ratings

I live just down from Ashton Gate so i''m back already. Fantastic day for us. My player ratings:-Ruddy - 9 - Absolutely solid! What''s all the fuss about?Russell Martin - 7 - Looked a little shakey a couple of times, but was a good part of a solid back 4Barnett - 10 - What do we need to do to get this guy in!!!!!! Ward - 9 - Looked soo comfortably alongside BarnettSteven Smith - 9 - Kept a very lively Adomah at bay. Crofts - 7 - Did what he needed to doKorey Smith - 8 - Was involved in a fair amount of the forward play as we countered fantastically well.Lappin - 7 - "He''s a Spaniard" shot over the bar 2nd half when he probably should have hit the target. Solid thoughHoolahan - 9 - Was Mr Counter Attack.Holt - 8 - Huffed and Puffed all day long. You can''t fault his passion and desireJackson - 9 - His two finishes were brilliant, should have had a hat trick but shot was driven wide. Standing Ovatiation from fans when subbed.Fox - Can''t really commit, he was only on for 4 minutesMartin - Looked sharp, determined, but a little bit frustrated. Especially when a wayward pass failed to reach him. Threw his arms in the air and shouted at Hoolahan.I''ll upload all the highlights onto youtube in a sec, will post a link here.

Only a portion of players come to a Club abd settle in like they have been there all their careers: people like Hucks and latterly Crofts.

Barnett is one of those.

Was there any Bristol fans?Hope you didn''t sign their petition for a bigger stadium[:P]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"][quote user="NCFC-47"]He''s even better on fifa 11 [:D][/quote]he''ll get better, believe me, I''ve got his tackling, heading, jumping, compposure upped.[/quote]Sorry and his pace, it will be upped from 62 to around 78

whats with the easy chants after the goals? im cringing for our fans there.

Thank you for your comments and ratings, mates, they are very precious for us Italian fans, as we can''t see the games live, only the goals (or the highlights on Norwich Player TV).

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I was also cringing about the "easy" chant. I can understand it slightly when we go 3-0 up, but after 1-0?[/quote]

That''s better.

Horrible little ground but with a more relaxed plod than at other grounds.

Not sure why the home fans spend so much time singing some awful dirge about ''Charlton''

based on my visit in 2008

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]I was also cringing about the "easy" chant. I can understand it slightly when we go 3-0 up, but after 1-0?[/quote]

That''s better.

[/quote]Fair play to them, in the end it was "easy", cringing you say, are you for real boy, how often in recent times have Canary fans had piss all to sing and dance about, I wasn''t at the game and I''m still singing it, embrace it you fool.

I would probably give them all a 9. MOTM would be a toss up between Lappin, Jackson and Crofts, but any of the others would deserve it too. Lappin edges it for me.

Hey guys, thought i''d take the jump and make the first post as this is one of the few games im able to get to. My ratings were:

Ruddy 8.5: Solid throughout and looked like the error in his last game had not shaken his confidence. Good handeling when called upon but not fully tested in terms of shots on target. Got a few moans for not making the quick throw out when Hoolahan had made a run. However soon made up for this with the assist for the third, quick thinking that made the goal.

R. Martin 8: Delt well with what was thrown at him, Bristol were definately less threatening on his side of the pitch. Got skinned once or twice but generally good and some good inter -play with Korey down the right.

Ward 9. A rock. Nothing got passed him all day. Early on got dragged left to cover for Smith and was making his feelings known about it! In the air and on the deck he had them under control.

Barnett 9.5 If we can afford it, we need to get this guy. Should it take sending someone else out to free up wages (i.e Askou/Whitbread/Nelson)I think he is worth it. All that Ward was but with more pace and recovered play he really had no right to!

S. Smith 7 Dont get me wrong, the guys rusty and his performances will improve, but he really struggled first 20 mins. Adomah and (I think) Cambell-Ryce were doubling up on him and we looked very exposed on that side until we scored. As the game went on his confidence grew and he became less hesitent in the tackle. Hope the knock he picked up at the end isnt anything as there''s signs of a good player.

K.Smith 8.5 How the hell is he only 19?! Showed really good positional awareness and covered alot of ground. Showed stregnth in a few scraps for possession. Played the simple pass well. Has a hell of alot of potential.

Crofts 8: First time i''ve seen him and loving the 50/50''s. Showed a little less than his performances i''ve listened to on the radio but was a solid presence and, again, not much passed him. (The one guy that did got floored and Crofts got a booking!)

Lappin 8: Tough tackling, another player that helped out S.Smith when he was struggling a little early on. Shame he didn''t get his goal at the end but contributed well to a compact but strong midfield.

Hoolahan 9: One misplaced pass in a dangerous position all game, i''ll take that! Showed alot more stregnth on the ball than when i''ve seen him before. Was so dangerous everytime we broke and was always involved. Work ethic was right up there and was involved in most of our best moves.

Holt 7:Very good player but I feel he looked for the foul too often. Great when it works but when you lose possession because your busy watching the other player it is frustrating. Saying that played some good balls into the channels and worked hard for the team.

Jackson 9.5: Not just for the goals which were really good finishes. Played the shoulder really well and the team seemed to play to his abilities alot better than it seemed against Leicester. Wouldn''t have been an injustice to have got 4 today.

Fox: Too little time

C Martin 7: Didn''t really offer much when he came on apart from a few decent touches. A player i rate but, with Bristols defence looking flat footed and lacking in pace, this game was made for Jackson and it showed.

Overall a great day. From the minute we scored we out competed them and showed alot of quality on the ball. The "easy" chants were abit weird after the first goal!But hell we havn''t had a team as promising as this for a while - lets enjoy it!

[quote user="SnakepitCanary"]

That''s better.

[/quote]

Their fans were baiting us from the start, so it was just a nice easy way to get back at them.  Bristol were poor and never looked like getting back into the game and causing us any embarrassment.   

[quote user="South West Canary"]Hey guys, thought i''d take the jump and make the first post as this is one of the few games im able to get to. My ratings were: Ruddy 8.5: Solid throughout and looked like the error in his last game had not shaken his confidence. Good handeling when called upon but not fully tested in terms of shots on target. Got a few moans for not making the quick throw out when Hoolahan had made a run. However soon made up for this with the assist for the third, quick thinking that made the goal. R. Martin 8: Delt well with what was thrown at him, Bristol were definately less threatening on his side of the pitch. Got skinned once or twice but generally good and some good inter -play with Korey down the right. Ward 9. A rock. Nothing got passed him all day. Early on got dragged left to cover for Smith and was making his feelings known about it! In the air and on the deck he had them under control. Barnett 9.5 If we can afford it, we need to get this guy. Should it take sending someone else out to free up wages (i.e Askou/Whitbread/Nelson)I think he is worth it. All that Ward was but with more pace and recovered play he really had no right to! S. Smith 7 Dont get me wrong, the guys rusty and his performances will improve, but he really struggled first 20 mins. Adomah and (I think) Cambell-Ryce were doubling up on him and we looked very exposed on that side until we scored. As the game went on his confidence grew and he became less hesitent in the tackle. Hope the knock he picked up at the end isnt anything as there''s signs of a good player. K.Smith 8.5 How the hell is he only 19?! Showed really good positional awareness and covered alot of ground. Showed stregnth in a few scraps for possession. Played the simple pass well. Has a hell of alot of potential. Crofts 8: First time i''ve seen him and loving the 50/50''s. Showed a little less than his performances i''ve listened to on the radio but was a solid presence and, again, not much passed him. (The one guy that did got floored and Crofts got a booking!) Lappin 8: Tough tackling, another player that helped out S.Smith when he was struggling a little early on. Shame he didn''t get his goal at the end but contributed well to a compact but strong midfield. Hoolahan 9: One misplaced pass in a dangerous position all game, i''ll take that! Showed alot more stregnth on the ball than when i''ve seen him before. Was so dangerous everytime we broke and was always involved. Work ethic was right up there and was involved in most of our best moves. Holt 7:Very good player but I feel he looked for the foul too often. Great when it works but when you lose possession because your busy watching the other player it is frustrating. Saying that played some good balls into the channels and worked hard for the team. Jackson 9.5: Not just for the goals which were really good finishes. Played the shoulder really well and the team seemed to play to his abilities alot better than it seemed against Leicester. Wouldn''t have been an injustice to have got 4 today. Fox: Too little time C Martin 7: Didn''t really offer much when he came on apart from a few decent touches. A player i rate but, with Bristols defence looking flat footed and lacking in pace, this game was made for Jackson and it showed. Overall a great day. From the minute we scored we out competed them and showed alot of quality on the ball. The "easy" chants were abit weird after the first goal!But hell we havn''t had a team as promising as this for a while - lets enjoy it![/quote]

Good report,cheers for that.Welcome aboard [Y]

I thought Holt was at best average yesterday - a "6" out of ten. He kept looking for a foul all the time rather than to win the ball or hold it up - the ref saw straight through it - within the first few mins - but still he carried on - it got a bit embarassing after a while to be honest.

He was also brushed off the ball too easliy several times when shoulder to shoulder with one of their players & didn''t have the physical impact that, certainly last year, he used to have on defenders.

I travelled to the game with a Bristol City fans who said that he traditionally terrorises them whenevr he''s played against them but couldn''t believe how poor & unfit looking he was yesterday.

Wes had a great game, the back four were extremely solid & Jacksons finishes were sublime. Great assist by Ruddy for his second!

[quote user="Herman "]

Good report,cheers for that.Welcome aboard [Y]

[/quote]

No problem, it''s about time, have been reading the forum for ages! Best way to still feel involved when your exiled in Devon!

Ruddy - 8 - Assured. No mistakes. Claimed everything he went for, despite being rarely tested. Good distribution. Set up our 3rd. I''d much rather have him than the ''International'' goalkeeper at the other end.

S.Smith - 9 - Really struggled at first, but the way he grew into the game was exceptional. Marking Adomah was not an easy task, and he performed admirably. Very impressive full debut.

R.Martin - 9 - Exceptional. Why criticise this guy when he''s been brilliant this year. Got forward well, and faultless at the back.

Ward - 8 - Tidy. Dealt with everything he needed to. Could have scored. Excellent signing.

Barnett - 9 - Mopped up everything. And I mean everything. Sign him up!

Lappin - 8 - Another very solid game. Committed defensively, and useful in attack. A real asset. Our options on the left (when Surman returns especially) look very good.

K.Smith - 8 - Best game for a while. Pretty much the same as Lappin, albeit on the other flank.

Crofts - 8 - Classy. Calm on the ball. Good in attack, brilliant in defence. Way better than Russell, and better than Clingan as well in my opinion. Not had a DM as good as him for years.

Hoolahan - 9 - Unplayable at times. A superb penalty, right in the corner. If he maintains this form, we''re going to score alot of goals. Absolutely magnificent in defence as well, winning many challenges.

Holt - 8.5 - He''s not going to score as many as he did last year, so I wish people would stop moaning! Absolutely dominated in the air, and our new partnership up-front looks very strong. After the coming two week break, he should be ready to play at his optimum level.

Jackson - 9 - Clinical. Two superb goals. Another brilliant signing. Worked hard. Won alot in the air for a relatively small player, and looked dangerous all day. Potentially an extremely astute signing.

The ratings may seem high across the board, but frankly with performances like that, they are thoroughly deserving of it!