Sign in to follow this  
Smudger

Are these match stats wrong then???

Paul Lambert says that we "had all the dominance in the world"Take a look at the match stats... http://www.hull.vitalfootball.co.uk/stats.asp?a=214568

Hull had 57% posession to our 43% and 8 shots on target to our 4. I

don''t know what game some people watch honestly I don''t. Hull deserved

at least a draw and probably did enough to secure all 3 points. Worst

of all people should''ve been able to see the

worst possibly coming after the hour mark and 99% of the people at

Carrow Road (including our management team didn''t).Are these match stats wrong?  Because they seem to paint a similar picture to what I had of yesterdays game.Continuing to play Holt who is unfit and Lappin (who is not up to the job week in week out at this level), plus Hoolahan (who has been largely ineffective so far this season) when we have several players chomping on the bit for their chance on the bench may mean that we are in danger of blowing our good start.If we don''t have all of the necessary players to compete in our midfield then maybe we need to bring a loanee in until Surman returns to fitness?It''s just my opinion (backed up by some match stats and my eye witness account of the game) - no need to threaten a fellow NCFC fan with violence and call him all the unpleasantries under the sun over it! [:|]Leicester on Tuesday night and for anybody who thinks bottom of the league, easy 3 points - it won''t be.

Thing is, Holt/Hoolahan/Lappin were probably our best 3 players yesterday...although I think Lappin needed to be subbed eventually...

Smith & Martin were the weak points. The latter definitely needed hauling off, and if we had someone (Hughes) on the bench suitable to replace Smith, then that change should have happened too.

Lappin started very well, but faded late on. His delivery initially was brilliant. In the second half it was very average. McNamee should have come on for him with 20 or so minutes to go, in order to push for three points.

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Thing is, Holt/Hoolahan/Lappin were probably our best 3 players yesterday...although I think Lappin needed to be subbed eventually...

Smith & Martin were the weak points. The latter definitely needed hauling off, and if we had someone (Hughes) on the bench suitable to replace Smith, then that change should have happened too.

Lappin started very well, but faded late on. His delivery initially was brilliant. In the second half it was very average. McNamee should have come on for him with 20 or so minutes to go, in order to push for three points.[/quote]That is absolute sh**!Holt has been terrible for the past few games now- we need to drop him.

No it isn''t. He''s been pretty awful this season, and despite most thinking he was brilliant at Preston, he was average.

Yesterday, he was significantly better than Martin. Not brilliant, but far from ''terrible''. He looked more determined and worked harder than he has all season.

I''ll take the village idiot''s word for it though...

[quote user="CanaryJames"]No it isn''t. He''s been pretty awful this season, and despite most thinking he was brilliant at Preston, he was average.

Yesterday, he was significantly better than Martin. Not brilliant, but far from ''terrible''. He looked more determined and worked harder than he has all season.

I''ll take the village idiot''s word for it though...[/quote]

Insults because you disagree? Typical.

Being better than toothless Martin doesnt mean he did well.

With those 2 up front we dont have a chance of promotion. I''m not going to apologise for toeing the party line either!

I don''t doubt the stats smudger but I would be interested in seeing the breakdown as up until they scored I would think we would have been ahead. Once we started chasing the game they played a lot of keep ball.

As for the attempts I am assuming these don''t include ball fizzing across the box etc only attempts on goal. I would thinkmost who were there yesterday would agree we were a bit goal shy when it came to attempts on goal.

Personally I thought wew were the better side yesterday and maybe we now know how Swansea felt!

[quote user="NeverBlueSince1902"][quote user="CanaryJames"]No it isn''t. He''s been pretty awful this season, and despite most thinking he was brilliant at Preston, he was average.

I''ll take the village idiot''s word for it though...[/quote]

Insults because you disagree? Typical.

Being better than toothless Martin doesnt mean he did well.

With those 2 up front we dont have a chance of promotion. I''m not going to apologise for toeing the party line either![/quote] Well at least I''m not the only one who doesnt think Holt is good enough.

Holt was better yesterday than he was at Preston is what I''m saying basically. He did more against Hull than he did the week before.

At Preston he hit the woodwork twice, and scored a great goal. People raved about him, despite not really being in the game. Yesterday he covers much more ground, links well with midfield, etc...and people say he should be dropped!

Crazy! The thing is we don''t have enough pace up-front for this league, which is why Jackson needs to start with Holt on Tuesday.

[quote user="Bungay Canary"]did mc namee actually touch the ball yesterday totally over rated[/quote]He was only on the pitch 5 mins and I didn''t see any of it so can''t comment.Lappin on the other hand was clean through - one on one with only the keeper to beat and decided that he was going to cut back before puttin in a high cross that went straight across the pitch to nobody and out for a throw I believe.  Chris Martin has had abuse (and yes he is a striker), but at least when in a similar position yesterday he did hit the target and make the Hull keeper make a save.For me Simon Lappin is totally over-rated and he was a major member of a team who got us relegated from this league previously (as was Hoolahan).  Why do so many fans assume that they are good enough to do anything different now?

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Holt was better yesterday than he was at Preston is what I''m saying basically. He did more against Hull than he did the week before.

At Preston he hit the woodwork twice, and scored a great goal. People raved about him, despite not really being in the game. Yesterday he covers much more ground, links well with midfield, etc...and people say he should be dropped!

Crazy! The thing is we don''t have enough pace up-front for this league, which is why Jackson needs to start with Holt on Tuesday.[/quote]I agree that Holt was better yesterday than he was against Preston, but for me he still didn''t do enough during the game.Anyhow care to mention on the stats posted above?

[quote user="The Great Drinkell"]

I don''t doubt the stats smudger but I would be interested in seeing the breakdown as up until they scored I would think we would have been ahead. Once we started chasing the game they played a lot of keep ball.

As for the attempts I am assuming these don''t include ball fizzing across the box etc only attempts on goal. I would thinkmost who were there yesterday would agree we were a bit goal shy when it came to attempts on goal.

Personally I thought wew were the better side yesterday and maybe we now know how Swansea felt!

[/quote]I seriously doubt that there was at least a 7% swing in possession over the last 5 mins after we conceeded, although the attempts on target may have been more equal at the stage when they went ahead?

Absolutely 100% agree that Lappin should have shot when through, instead of pulling it back. I''d suggest a lack of goals has dented his confidence in those kinds of situations, which is why he took the ''unselfish'' option. When he started to lose his delivery, he should have been taken off, and replaced by someone with pace (McNamee) to challenge the donkey that is McShane.

We work it into good areas regularly. There wasn''t enough coming down the right-hand side of the pitch for me. R.Martin played fairly well, but his crossing generally isn''t up to the level of Drury on the other flank. This means we need a technically sound player operating in front of R.Martin. Smith will be a very, very good player, but we needed someone who could create more whilst still offering a degree of defensive cover (Hughes would be my choice).

Holt tends to pull wide (possibly under instruction), which means many decent crosses go to waste. If either of the strikers should be pulling wide, it should be Martin. His game is more suited to drifting into space and crossing the ball. For the next game, I''d instruct Holt to keep central as frequently as possible, and have Jackson operating off him, moving into the channels when needed - dragging players out of position, and creating space for the likes of Hoolahan to move into. If Hughes & Lappin started (with Holt staying central), we''d be alot more dangerous in wide areas as well...

A good performance generally, but some things need sorting.

listened to radio norfolk on canary player and at half time the % possessions were virtually the same i.e. 43/57, and shots on target 2/3

[quote user="star_manic"]listened to radio norfolk on canary player and at half time the % possessions were virtually the same i.e. 43/57, and shots on target 2/3[/quote]Well there you go then.... [Y]  Thanks for that mate!So where do these people get that we had the better of the game yesterday then?Me the stat man and a select few others must have been watching a different game??? [:|]

So Smudger, you shouting Holt you fat f@cker, was a real positive from a fan getting behind their team then? Idiot.

Possession statistics can be a little misleading sometimes as you can build up high percentages by moving the ball around the first two thirds of the pitch but not really doing a lot to threaten. I wasn''t there yesterday, is it possible that this is what has influenced the statistics?

He may not have had his best game yesterday but I firmly believe by dropping Smith , Martin at right back will be exposed.( though not in the biblical sense). [;)]

Well lets cast our minds back to the Preston game.

“Best performance of the season”. “Outplayed them.” “Dominated from start to finish”.

Were just some of the comments poring out of fans and journos mouths.

When in fact If you had looked at the match stats Preston had more possession than us, more attempts at goal and also had more corners than us.

So did we really dominate? Yes we were much the better team and worthy of all three points but no we never dominated from start to finish.

But the only stat that really matters is the one that reads; ''Goals''.

[quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, you shouting Holt you fat f@cker, was a real positive from a fan getting behind their team then? Idiot.[/quote]Was that exactly what I shouted, or is that more slander from yourself Dicky?It is so obvious to see that you are one of the mindless few who can''t stand somebody expressing their own opinion on what is happening on the pitch without letting the thoughts of viloence entering your your head.GROW UP!

I didn''t see the incident but if the story is correct that you were ejected yesterday and also at Colchester in January there surely you need to calm down?

[quote user="Smudger"][quote user="Dicky"]So Smudger, you shouting Holt you fat f@cker, was a real positive from a fan getting behind their team then? Idiot.[/quote]Was that exactly what I shouted, or is that more slander from yourself Dicky?It is so obvious to see that you are one of the mindless few who can''t stand somebody expressing their own opinion on what is happening on the pitch without letting the thoughts of viloence entering your your head.GROW UP![/quote]

Yes you did. If you say you didn''t, you are a liar

Smudger, I have to say I was surprised by those stats, I cannot really remember Hull threatening our goal until towards the end of the game. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion at a game, but be honest was it a one off remark that sparked the confrontation or had you been giving people the benefit of your wisdom all game, if it is the latter then I whilst I do not condone violence I think it is naive to think that you would not get a reaction, equally whilst I agree that Holt looks to be carrying a few extra pounds the use of the word "f*cker" was probably not helpful...

[quote user="star_manic"]listened to radio norfolk on canary player and at half time the % possessions were virtually the same i.e. 43/57, and shots on target 2/3[/quote]Well I listened to the match AND Canary Call, and Neil Adams said we played quite well, so that''s all I need to know......... [Y][;)]

[quote user="Sons of Boadicea"]Smudger, I have to say I was surprised by those stats, I cannot really remember Hull threatening our goal until towards the end of the game. I have no problem with you expressing your opinion at a game, but be honest was it a one off remark that sparked the confrontation or had you been giving people the benefit of your wisdom all game, if it is the latter then I whilst I do not condone violence I think it is naive to think that you would not get a reaction, equally whilst I agree that Holt looks to be carrying a few extra pounds the use of the word "f*cker" was probably not helpful...[/quote]I can guarantee that word was not used.First half I was very quiet and I started to get frustrated and vented that around the hour to 70 mins mark (just after our little bright spell had subsided).Do I have the right to threaten sombody next to me the next time that they make a comment I don''t agree with?  Of course I don''t!

[quote user="The Butler"]What is the expression about lies and statistics?[/quote]Does the wonderful new NCISA chairman wish to make a comment whether it is ok for people to throw insults and threats of physical violence about at other supporters in the ground for merely for them expressing a different opinion about what they see happening on the pitch?Apparently this was the only event like this that happened yesterday, merely the one which flared up the most and has had the most coverage.