Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

A bold statement...

But I think we have all massively underestimated Lambert. A lot of people are of the opinion that a mid table finish is realistic for this season and I constantly hear that Lambert has done a good job so far and that its early days etc.From what i have seen so far this season I am now 100% certain we will finish in the top 6, at the very least, and i think a top 2 finish is a real possibilty. Over the 10 games we have seen a good example of what the Championship is all about and with exception of the Watford game, where Nelson and Ward simply werent ready, and Doncaster away, no other teams have troubled us and we have looked superior and come away with a result. The Cardiff and QPR games upcoming will be a good test of where we at and what we can achieve this season.But my main point is about Lambert himself and that I think we have underestimated his ability and how far he can take us, perhaps because some of us simply didnt know much about the guy before he joined us. This is a guy who played at the highest level and won the champions league with Borussia Dortmund, as well as countless honours with Celtic. He is very experienced and knows how the game should be played. I also think he is very modern in his approach to tactics and games, for example the way we approach away games is now the same as we do at home, attack attack and try to win. Most teams go away and try to contain and be organised where as we play our natural game and attempt to win at all costs. I really think Lambert will take City back to the Premiership and have a good go like Blackpool have so far, and i think it will be sooner rather than later. Beyond that im certain Lambert is destined for greatness and will end up managing one of the top 4. So far in his City career he hasnt made one wrong move and everything he has done has been positve and born results, the guy is a born winner.We are really lucky to have Paul Lambert and should enjoy the ride while it lasts.

I second that Matt. Lambert is a born winner and I love his brave tactics and the fact I can go to away games actually believing we can win it. But we really can''t afford to carried away at this stage. I know it''s a cliché but lets just take each game as it comes and as you say hopefully enjoy the ride.

OTBC

I too think we''ll do well but bare in mind this:We''ve played three teams in the top half of the table and have just four points against them (with two of the three game at home).

I too think we''ll do well but bare in mind this:We''ve played

three teams in the top half of the table and have just four points

against them.

I agree with most of that. I think, like Sir Alex may make the odd blunder with Veron, or field dodgy sides when key players are missing, as you could of seen in their defence in the last few weeks, Lambert isn''t faultless. However he flourishes in the extra 10% (?) margin that the great Brian Clough once said distinguishes managers from one another in their methods. Paul, unlike some, looks to fit the formation into the team, and not the team into the formation, and that can be ever so vital in the long run. His formations of 4-1-2-1-2, 4-2-3-1, 4-2-2-2, or 3-4-1-2 explicitly show his modern approach to the game, and how when compared to managers of Sousa''s calibre for example, that are only 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 interchangeable unless they spend months trying to ''investigate'' another single formation, that he is more apt than most at adapting to the nature of the game to seize the advantage. In this respect he''s a bit bloody brilliant, and i hate to think of the day when we hire a manager who can''t competently show this astute rounded ability to effectively acclimatise to a game.What i also think is interesting is that we''ve only been failed to conjure the performances we''ve needed to gain a result when fundamental alterations have been made in the midfield at the start of matches, with Fox''s introduction against Watford, and McNamee against Doncaster, with  only Hull being a bit more of a one off more than anything. We''re learning about this league, but i''ve always steadily argued that the gap isn''t as unconquerable as some perceive it to be, but what''s most important is that we''re fast learning about ourselves, and what we should and shouldn''t do, and like last season we''re improving with the progression of fixtures. For example, after Leicester, the determination of the whole team to finish the Bristol game with a clean sheet was there for all to see, and fulfilled with the resolve and work ethic Paul Lambert and his ethos never fail to produce.He''ll go far Lambert. I personally see him following the O''Neil or Hodgson models. Whether that leads to as much as a top 4 job i don''t know.

[quote user="paul moy"]

Well, I certainly haven''t underestimated him. Speak for yourself !!  [:D]

[/quote]Me too, I truly believed from pre-season top 6 was achievable.  And Wiz was confident of a decent promotion push.