Sign in to follow this  
nycanary

FIRST VISIT TO CARROW ROAD AFTER 31 YEARS OF SUPPORT!! SUCCESS!!

AllAfter supporting Norwich from abroad for 31 years, I finally made the pilgrimage to Carrow Road for the match against Leicester.  Had great seats in the Jarrold (6 seats away from Hucks) and had a brilliant time.  Of all the matches to get to watch, we got a 4-3 thriller!  Managed to get to the Lambert press conf after and also walked on the pitch and got a few photos...Anyway, just had to report back that it was an amazing time and thanks to all those who suggested sitting in the Jarrold - the view was top.  Next time, might have to be the Barclay -- there''s real atmosphere over there!  Wont be another 31 years tho...Cheers!

Great to hear you enjoyed your trip over nycanary, and glad that you got seats near Hucks! You picked a fantastic game to go to! Will you have an opportunity to post any of your pics onto here?

Was your pilgrimage based purely on watching Norwich or were you over to see family/friends etc?

[quote user="Largey"]Great to hear you enjoyed your trip over nycanary, and glad that you got seats near Hucks! You picked a fantastic game to go to! Will you have an opportunity to post any of your pics onto here?

Was your pilgrimage based purely on watching Norwich or were you over to see family/friends etc?[/quote]was over to see family too.  they live in surrey.  i do have some pics/vids and when i download them, i''ll put them up here.....just have to say that wherever i''ve been, i''ve always been the only norwich supporter around.  and after 30 years of that, to be surrounded by 25,000 of us....it was just surreal.

Congratulations on making the pilgrimage all the way from NY to Norwich. I think you certainly picked a good night for it!

It''s good to see we have good support across the pond.

I''m hoping to make a similar journey soon. I''m hoping to go to NY to see the Flyers then move to Philly to watch them play at home. I hope my trip is as much fun as yours seems to have been.

Davo

- when saturday comes - the pub in new york is up in the columbia university area.  here''s the website:  http://nycanaries.wordpress.com/i grew up in hong kong and went to a british school there.  i got into football when i turned 7 or 8 and i had to choose at team.  coincidentally, my sis was leaving to go to uni and i asked her if the town where her uni was had a football team.  she went to UEA....so, i chose norwich!  all my mates were man u or liverpool fans so i was laughed at a fair bit when i wore my yellow and green kit.  i still remember the first elevent from back then with ken brown as manager - woods, haylock, downs, mcguire, walford, watson, barham, o''neill, deehan, bertschin, bennett....its imprinted forever.  anyway, you have to be loyal so i now live in the states and could not possibly support any other team.  its just the way it is.  mind you, there have been times over the years that i yelled at my sis for not going to uni in manchester or london....i thought carrow road was brilliant.  the only other grounds i''ve been to in the UK are white hart lane and selhurst park.  carrow road is much more along the lines of spurs home than palace, obviously.  just smaller, that''s all.  it certainly didn''t disappoint.  i hope one day when we''re in the prem we redevelop and get to 35-40,000 capacity somehow - maybe total rebuilding of the norwich&peterborough stand?  dunno if that''s poss.to be honest, i was not being particularly objective when i was there.  i loved every minute of it and it did not disappoint in the slightest.  as an aside, i had just finished a holiday with my fiancee in france before coming to norwich and after hundreds of photos around paris she poked that the only time i smiled properly in a photo was at carrow road.....haha.  too true.  a happy night.

glad you had a great time NYCanary, i think it always amazes the locals how much support there is around the world for lil old Norwich.

Just a point on the ground size, if we were to be in the premier league for a few years the club can increase the City stand and also add a tier to the Jarrold, i believe.

Not quite the new Meadowlands but as you found out a smashing place with a great atmosphere.

[quote user="nycanary"]- when saturday comes - the pub in new york is up in the columbia university area.  here''s the website:  http://nycanaries.wordpress.com/i grew up in hong kong and went to a british school there.  i got into football when i turned 7 or 8 and i had to choose at team.  coincidentally, my sis was leaving to go to uni and i asked her if the town where her uni was had a football team.  she went to UEA....so, i chose norwich!  all my mates were man u or liverpool fans so i was laughed at a fair bit when i wore my yellow and green kit.  i still remember the first elevent from back then with ken brown as manager - woods, haylock, downs, mcguire, walford, watson, barham, o''neill, deehan, bertschin, bennett....its imprinted forever.  anyway, you have to be loyal so i now live in the states and could not possibly support any other team.  its just the way it is.  mind you, there have been times over the years that i yelled at my sis for not going to uni in manchester or london....i thought carrow road was brilliant.  the only other grounds i''ve been to in the UK are white hart lane and selhurst park.  carrow road is much more along the lines of spurs home than palace, obviously.  just smaller, that''s all.  it certainly didn''t disappoint.  i hope one day when we''re in the prem we redevelop and get to 35-40,000 capacity somehow - maybe total rebuilding of the norwich&peterborough stand?  dunno if that''s poss.to be honest, i was not being particularly objective when i was there.  i loved every minute of it and it did not disappoint in the slightest.  as an aside, i had just finished a holiday with my fiancee in france before coming to norwich and after hundreds of photos around paris she poked that the only time i smiled properly in a photo was at carrow road.....haha.  too true.  a happy night.[/quote]nycanary, I really enjoyed reading this and I''m delighted you had such a good visit... you should definitely thank your sister for picking UEA! Make sure you visit Norwich again soon, hopefully we''ll still be winning! And I have another place to visit now (the ncfc supporting bar) for when I visit NYC (soon I hope).OTBC!

[quote user="nycanary"]- when saturday comes - the pub in new york is up in the columbia university area.  here''s the website:  http://nycanaries.wordpress.com/i grew up in hong kong and went to a british school there.  i got into football when i turned 7 or 8 and i had to choose at team.  coincidentally, my sis was leaving to go to uni and i asked her if the town where her uni was had a football team.  she went to UEA....so, i chose norwich!  all my mates were man u or liverpool fans so i was laughed at a fair bit when i wore my yellow and green kit.  i still remember the first elevent from back then with ken brown as manager - woods, haylock, downs, mcguire, walford, watson, barham, o''neill, deehan, bertschin, bennett....its imprinted forever.  anyway, you have to be loyal so i now live in the states and could not possibly support any other team.  its just the way it is.  mind you, there have been times over the years that i yelled at my sis for not going to uni in manchester or london....i thought carrow road was brilliant.  the only other grounds i''ve been to in the UK are white hart lane and selhurst park.  carrow road is much more along the lines of spurs home than palace, obviously.  just smaller, that''s all.  it certainly didn''t disappoint.  i hope one day when we''re in the prem we redevelop and get to 35-40,000 capacity somehow - maybe total rebuilding of the norwich&peterborough stand?  dunno if that''s poss.to be honest, i was not being particularly objective when i was there.  i loved every minute of it and it did not disappoint in the slightest.  as an aside, i had just finished a holiday with my fiancee in france before coming to norwich and after hundreds of photos around paris she poked that the only time i smiled properly in a photo was at carrow road.....haha.  too true.  a happy night.

[/quote]Good for you for staying loyal, yes you could have taken the easy route and supported a big club like Man Yoo, Liverpool or Arsenal to fit in with the crowd but then you would be just one of many millions of glory hunters around the world who support a big club just because they are successful. There''s something charming about supporting smaller clubs like Norwich instead of your typical overseas fan who supports Man United and claims to be passionately in love with them even though he/she will have never seen them play live.

Must be quite hard being in that situation really, supporting a club for that long, waiting so long to see them live, but must have been extra special when you finally did, and what a great game to see :D

Great posts NY and glad you had such a good time.  I took my (18 year old) daughter with me and she hadn''t been since she was about 10.  Her boyfriend also came with us and he had never been to a game in his life before - he now can''t wait to go to another one!  I told him not to expect such levels of excitement every game but maybe this season could prove me wrong!