Sign in to follow this  
Rupethebear

Judge us at the end of October

Okay so normally we say look at the table after 10 games but October is a tough month. We have unbeaten QPR away and Cardiff away, so lets see how we do this month and then we will know how good we really are.

So what do you think, will we be the first team to beat QPR? With 3000 fans behind the goal I think we will get a result at QPR, who else agrees?

[quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep can see QPR being like huddersfield last season. Fingers crossed x.[/quote]

They will loose one day, lets hope its 16th October.

Cardiff look good on some days but lack any consistency. This league is wide open, if we have a good October then we will be right in the mix.

[quote user="Rupethebear"][quote user="Bryangunnshairline"]Yep can see QPR being like huddersfield last season. Fingers crossed x.
[/quote] They will loose one day, lets hope its 16th October. Cardiff look good on some days but lack any consistency. This league is wide open, if we have a good October then we will be right in the mix.[/quote]

It most certainly is Rupe....hope you are well mate.

I''ve got a funny feeling that we will surprise them. If you saw their game at Palace they were pretty lucky to get a point from that game, let alone win it.

[quote user="paul moy"]I''ve got a funny feeling that we will surprise them. If you saw their game at Palace they were pretty lucky to get a point from that game, let alone win it.[/quote]Hmm, not sure I''d completely agree with this.

They took their chances and got the win, credit to them. [Y]

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="paul moy"]I''ve got a funny feeling that we will surprise them. If you saw their game at Palace they were pretty lucky to get a point from that game, let alone win it.[/quote]Hmm, not sure I''d completely agree with this.

They took their chances and got the win, credit to them. [Y][/quote]

Their first goal was from a stupid back pass by Edgar Davids and the winner was controversial and in the final seconds of the game, but Palace had many chances to win the game, and would have done but for an outstanding display from goalkeeper Paddy Kenny. Put that in the context of Palace being second from bottom in the Championship, and I really do believe that we can beat them.  

Paul sorry but I don''t see how QPR''s winner was controversial. Speroni got beat to the ball fair and square by Helguson. It''s only controversial because the Palarse players/fans/manager chose to moan about it. Speroni wasn''t fouled he misjudged the ball and Helguson beat him to it. Palarse were unlucky, only Davids mistake and Kenny''s performances stopped them from getting something. Let''s be fair Kenny has been one of the best goalies in this league for the last few years. Is it really a coincidence that Sheff Utd''s league places have slipped since he left?

I''m not saying for a second we can''t beat them, given our habit of beating teams at the top of the league I''m sure we can get something from the game.

Davo

[quote user="paul moy"]

[quote user="Brendo "][quote user="paul moy"]I''ve got a funny feeling that we will surprise them. If you saw their game at Palace they were pretty lucky to get a point from that game, let alone win it.[/quote]Hmm, not sure I''d completely agree with this.

Their first goal was from a stupid back pass by Edgar Davids and the winner was controversial and in the final seconds of the game, but Palace had many chances to win the game, and would have done but for an outstanding display from goalkeeper Paddy Kenny. Put that in the context of Palace being second from bottom in the Championship, and I really do believe that we can beat them.  

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it at all....if anything, the keeper was fouling the striker!!

I dunno why but I fancy us to beat QPR, not so confident about Cardiff away though, a lot will depend on whether Bellamy plays as does their whole season really.

October on paper is tough but I think should be winning the two home games against Boro and Palace.  If we come out of the next four games with 7 points then that isn''t to bad but I think we will get more.  November isn''t exactly easy either.  Ipswich at home, Burnley at home, Leeds at home, all tough games.  Also in that month we have Millwall and Reading away and the Reading game is on Sky so thats a loss already!

Tbh if we are still in the play offs come December then we have done really well.

Agree with Boyo, the run of games through until December is pretty tough all round. If we are still in the mix at that point I will allow myself to start getting excited about what we could achieve.

[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with it at all....if anything, the keeper was fouling the striker!!

[/quote]

According to the MoS, there was a handball in that incident.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="McCanary"][quote user="paul moy"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

According to the MoS, there was a handball in that incident.

[/quote]

Probably by an immigrant. Wonder what it did to house prices in the Norwood area.

[quote user="Davo"]Paul sorry but I don''t see how QPR''s winner was controversial. Speroni got beat to the ball fair and square by Helguson. It''s only controversial because the Palarse players/fans/manager chose to moan about it. Speroni wasn''t fouled he misjudged the ball and Helguson beat him to it. Palarse were unlucky, only Davids mistake and Kenny''s performances stopped them from getting something. Let''s be fair Kenny has been one of the best goalies in this league for the last few years. Is it really a coincidence that Sheff Utd''s league places have slipped since he left?

I''m not saying for a second we can''t beat them, given our habit of beating teams at the top of the league I''m sure we can get something from the game.

Davo[/quote]This is misleading - you can''t just say "but for a great performance from a goalkeeper" that''s like saying "but for a striker who scored a hattrick" Kenny had a good game because he''s a good goalkeeper. He''s going to be just as likely to put in a good performance every game.

October is more than likely too early to judge too.  Winnable matches against Palace and Middlesborough mean that we should be top 6 or thereabouts by the end of October.  Some tough matches coming up in November too - Burnley, Millwall, Reading, Leeds & Ipswich - if anything tougher than October.

If our previous and current time in this division has taught us nothing else though it should be that the only predictable thing about it is its unpredictability. Its all very well saying palace and middlesbrough at home look like winnable games but just as i think we are capable of beating any team in this league, on their day i think any team can win at Carrow Road. Arguably, Hull at home should have been something of a banker but we all know what happened there. I also think that on another day we could have lost the Swansea game as well. Conversely, however, we are playing well away and I think are capable of winning anywhere.

For what its worth, for some reason I have a good feeling about QPR. Although i think they will go up, if we were in their position we would lose disappointingly at home at some point to end our run and with the confidence we have at the moment we could be the team to bring them down to earth. Not so confident about Cardiff if Bellamy plays. I know he''s only one player but our defence is still a little bit leaky at times and I am just not that confident we can contain him. As for the other games god knows. As commented above though if we are still in the mix come the start of December then I will start to believe we have a real chance of making the playoffs.

[quote] Its all very well saying palace and middlesbrough at home look like

winnable games but just as i think we are capable of beating any team in

this league, on their day i think any team can win at Carrow Road[/quote]It''s fair to say that you should never bet on a championship match, all teams are quite evenly matched.  However, I was basing this on current form, which is probably one of the few reasonable sign-posts.  Boro are 0-1-4-2-11 away from home, and Palace are 0-1-4-0-12 away from home.I expect you to say that it would be typical of Norwich to lose both these matches, on the basis of the opponents'' poor form. [:)]

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote] Its all very well saying palace and middlesbrough at home look like winnable games but just as i think we are capable of beating any team in this league, on their day i think any team can win at Carrow Road[/quote]

It''s fair to say that you should never bet on a championship match, all teams are quite evenly matched.  However, I was basing this on current form, which is probably one of the few reasonable sign-posts.  Boro are 0-1-4-2-11 away from home, and Palace are 0-1-4-0-12 away from home.

I expect you to say that it would be typical of Norwich to lose both these matches, on the basis of the opponents'' poor form. [:)]
[/quote]

Fair point. I wasn''t meaning to get at you when i said that was simply expressing the view that more so than any division form in the champ appears to count for very little! Palace do appear to be very weak away but having said that they have some good players and I think will ultimately do ok under Burley this season. Middlesbrough i''m not so sure if Strachan is the answer but there is no doubt they ahve a decent squad as well. The one thing in our favour though is that we will rarely, if ever, be outdone by the opposition in terms of desire and commitment so hopefully that makes us less prone to "upsets" than other teams.

PS - It would indeed have been typical of the old Norwich to lose both those games. Thankfully we are now in the Lambert era!

I know you weren''t getting at me Jim, it''s just that, well, if we can''t beat these showers, we may as well give up now [:)] I reckon we have a good chance of getting a better points total in October than November.  That said, I thoroughly agree about desire and commitment, which shows itself in the number of late goals we seem to score under Lambert, players playing to the final whistle for the first time in too long really.Also Jim, you have to ask yourself, if Gordon Strachan is the answer, then what on earth is the question ?

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I know you weren''t getting at me Jim, it''s just that, well, if we can''t beat these showers, we may as well give up now [:)] I reckon we have a good chance of getting a better points total in October than November.  That said, I thoroughly agree about desire and commitment, which shows itself in the number of late goals we seem to score under Lambert, players playing to the final whistle for the first time in too long really.

Also Jim, you have to ask yourself, if Gordon Strachan is the answer, then what on earth is the question ?
[/quote]

Hopefully which irritating ginger scottish manager will be sacked in October following an away defeat to Norwich City at Carrow Road?

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]I know you weren''t getting at me Jim, it''s just that, well, if we can''t beat these showers, we may as well give up now [:)] I reckon we have a good chance of getting a better points total in October than November.  That said, I thoroughly agree about desire and commitment, which shows itself in the number of late goals we seem to score under Lambert, players playing to the final whistle for the first time in too long really.Also Jim, you have to ask yourself, if Gordon Strachan is the answer, then what on earth is the question ?[/quote]

Hopefully which irritating ginger scottish manager will be sacked in October following an away defeat to Norwich City at Carrow Road?

[/quote]I like the sound of that !