Sign in to follow this  
Hunter106

Chris Martin vs Jackson

Both will have their chances through the season and both will score goals. To be succesfull you need competition.

If you watch him, you can quite clearly see how he plays, and that isn''t really up to opinion is it? You can chose wether he does it well or not, but what he does is not an opinion and he does work very hard....

i say again, chris martin has scored 1 champinship goal in 3 years. jackson has scored 3 in 2 months.

which lower league side shall we loan martin too then?

Apart from we went thought this Jas, he scored 4 in his first 1/2 months in the Championship....

What the hell is your problem with him?

And what is Holts strike rate in the Championship? I make it 5 in about 32 starts and 10+ sub appearances......

Which makes Martin just as successful (if not more so) than Holt in the championship, at a much younger age as well....

I just really can''t see how you say he''s a hard worker. He doesn''t get stuck in, gets beaten in the air every time, doesn''t run on to Holt''s flicks, looks disinterested and sulks when things don''t go his way. I agree with Jas, It''s Jackson''s place to lose now.

21 goals last year in a lower league, 4 against Paulton Rovers, numerous tap in due to others'' hard work and a few free kicks. He''s an average player who had a bit of luck.

Well sorry, i must be going to a diffrent ground....

What Holt flick ons? Holt seems to rarely win the ball in the air, most of the time he doesn''t try....

He does get stuck in, this season, the first few home games, it was Martin doing all the chasing up front.... Holt wasn''t ''match fit'' so stood still most of the games....

I give up really, why can''t you appreciate we have a fairly talented youngster here, he is 21, broke into the first team, then got his progress disrupted by Roeder (mainly because of, off the field activities....), then had a good season in League two, with a average/poor side, then had a very very good season last season, and is making the step up again this season, he is still young, who''s to say by the end of the season, Jackson will be on 5 goals, and Martin will have gotten 20 again? or even Next season, Martin comes good again....We''ve actually got a striker (the first out and out striker since Iwan) we will keep hold of for a few seasons, who has done little wrong so far, yet still gets criticism....He''s not perfect, he''s a long way from that, but he is still improving....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Apart from we went thought this Jas, he scored 4 in his first 1/2 months in the Championship....

What the hell is your problem with him?[/quote]1 Goal in his past 10 League games this season?If we''re truly honest, he hasn''t produced as much as an average run of goalscoring form for a striker after that run when he first hit the scene. I don''t doubt his capability, but apart from the odd performance here and there (re. Forest), regardless of his much debated work ethic, he hasn''t played to the kind of standards we''d need him to if we''re to contend with the higher echelons of the division. Statistics, i''m afraid more than prove that, and whilst there''s a player within him worth persevering with, one can only stick by a player that isn''t quite hitting the same heights as the rest of the team for so long without it making some sort of impact.Without disheartening Martin, and allowing him opportunities to prove his worth is the best way to go about it, whilst not shutting him out. And with a deserving player ahead of him on the priority to play list, things seem to be shaping up as they should be, from a personal man-management type perspective.

(PS. "Bryan Gunn built this team" on Canary Call - Grant Holt... That''s it. I weep for the ignorance of the masses that hoard this station)

[quote user="John"][quote user="Gingerpele"]Apart from we went thought this Jas, he scored 4 in his first 1/2 months in the Championship....

What the hell is your problem with him?[/quote]1 Goal in his past 10 League games this season?If we''re truly honest, he hasn''t produced as much as an average run of goalscoring form for a striker after that run when he first hit the scene at this level (of course). I don''t doubt his capability, but apart from the odd performance here and there (re. Forest), regardless of his much debated work ethic, he hasn''t played to the kind of standards we''d need him to if we''re to contend with the higher echelons of the division. Statistics, i''m afraid more than prove that, and whilst there''s a player within him worth persevering with, one can only stick by a player that isn''t quite hitting the same heights as the rest of the team for so long without it making some sort of impact.Without disheartening Martin, and allowing him opportunities to prove his worth is the best way to go about it, whilst not shutting him out. And with a deserving player ahead of him on the priority to play list, things seem to be shaping up as they should be, from a personal man-management type perspective.

(PS. "Bryan Gunn built this team" on Canary Call - Grant Holt... That''s it. I weep for the ignorance of the masses that hoard this station)[/quote]

''regardless of his much debated work ethic, he hasn''t played to the kind of standards we''d need him to if we''re to contend with the higher echelons of the division''

And with Chris Martin starting 8 of the 10 Championship games, we are in the higher echelons of the devision....

I''m not trying to say Chris Martin is a world class player, but he certainly isn''t poor. He can do a job, and will score goals at any level, be they tap ins (which he doesn''t score that many off thinking about it, i thought a few of his goals last season, where him cutting in from the left, and hitting them from the edge of the box, but that must have been a case of me being at the wrong ground again) free-kicks or anything, he has ability but i also think he does put in a decent shift and when he''s on form, he is a key player....

[quote user="Gingerpele"]''regardless of his much debated work ethic, he hasn''t played to the kind of standards we''d need him to if we''re to contend with the higher echelons of the division''

And with Chris Martin starting 8 of the 10 Championship games, we are in the higher echelons of the devision....[/quote]I should have been more specific, granted, in that in the long term we''re going to need better stats than those hanging over the heads of our strikers if we''re to sustain a position at these heady heights.

Am I alone in thinking this tussle for the starting line up between Jackson and Martin can only ever be a good thing? Jackson grabbed his chance today and should keep his spot for QPR, but Martin will be back no doubt. He has quality but he''s yet to fire on all cylinders this season.

He is hardly ''young'' though is he, he has been about for quite a long time in the professional game, and compared to other clubs young talent (im not a binner fan, but wickham is a quality player, shelve etc) he is no where near as good. Last season he scored in league one, which if you havent noticed is a massive step down from the championship. There have been may strikers who have set the championship alight and then failed to make the transition to the premier league (scotland comes to mind). In the first season he played in the championship he scored something like 4 goals in a little amount of time and everybody raved about how he was the next big thing, man u interested etc and then what? He failed to score for the rest of the season. He IS lazy, like another poster said, he never chases people down, gets tackled too easily, and walks around the pitch with the demeinor of someone who has an arrogant attitude because of his highly paid job.

Lets not forget that Jackson came from non league, has never experienced playing at a big club, and so far has scored 3X what martin has.

It does seem strange, that we are in this position with out Holt or Martin hitting top form....And Hoolahan hadn''t been on fire as such until tuesday, our Goal difference shows that.

So 21 (22 in next month) isn''t young?

He has had 4 seasons, one was only a half season, and as soon as EArnie was fit, he was out of the team again, and then the next season, was ruined by his off the field actions/Roeders dislike of him, and then he had a season in League Two, and one in League one...

He hasn''t had a full season in the Championship (well he has but like i said, Roeder......) People where calling Cody Macdonald young when we singed him at 24...Chris Martin has at least 10/12 years in him, maybe a more. He is young.

I Think this criticism of Chris Martin is slightly unfair. Every time I have seen him he seems to work hard for the team. In my opinion he is doing no less than Holty is

A rough stat, Chris Martin and Grant Holt have scored about 1 in every 3 games in all games (competitive) so far, and Jackson, is just over 1 in every 2 games....

I think Jackson can be a very good player this season, but i think Martin will be too, i kind of wish Holt wasn''t the captain as he probably wouldn''t get as much game time, its harder taking off/not starting the captain (unless they are really under performing), i think it might be worth seeing how well Martin and Jackson play together but i don''t think Holt will be dropped any time soon (and he hasn''t had anywhere near enough yellow cards yet :P)

So 21 (22 in next month) isn''t young?

He has had 4 seasons, one was only a half season, and as soon as EArnie was fit, he was out of the team again, and then the next season, was ruined by his off the field actions/Roeders dislike of him, and then he had a season in League Two, and one in League one...

I actually agree with you here!! He hasn''t had the best of luck in his career (although sometimes he does bring it on himself) and he is young. There is time for him to improve and hopefully after playing with Holty for a while he''ll learn.

I hope to be bringing this thread up in 7/8 months when he fires us the premier league, so I hope I''m wrong.

Why do we have to choose? Lambert rates Chris Martin that is obvious and i would take his opinion over anyone elses on this forum, i dont think he would be a first team player if Lambert thought he was lazy. All players get tired and/or struggle for alittle form at times thats why Jackson was bought, Jackson has done well today and deserves to stay in the side, but one game doesnt make him a success or prove the orginal poster right. 

As for Martin learning from Holt, i hope for one that  Chris Martin doesnt start charging around like a bull in a china shop, getting drawn out of the areas where we need our striker to be, Holt makes the best of what he has and i''m glad he makes the most of that raw abiltiy, but Chris Martin doesnt need to be doing that aswell. Isnt it a good thing we have three strikers with completely different styles?

Just read the 86 posts on this thread plus the 10 on another thread asking whether Jackson should start the next few games and not a word from our friend Smudger.The strange thing is he is on Facebook telling everybody how he has been saying that Jackson is a class act.I am not saying he is wrong but anybody got any ideas where he has been enlightening people with this view?[;)]

Not quite, just because i go to games it doesnt mean I dont know what I am talking about. I have seen Martin play in about 20 games, and have always came away with the same opinion. Now you are telling me that somehow I am unlucky and miss the games where he plays exceptionally well?

Nope, what we are telling you is that if you had watched him 20 times, you would understand how good a player he is, if you knew what you were talking about. Are you suggesting that Paul Lambert, 25,000 Norwich fans, The Luton manager, Sir Alex Ferguson and numerous other admirers should now all be thinking, ''Damn, if only we had listened to Hunter, he knows what he is talking about. He''s been to twenty game you know. What he don''t know aint worth knowing'' Please stop entertaining me with this. I have to go to work Monday and if I carry on laughing like this, I won''t be able to drive.