Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's see if Paul Lambert can trump Archie Macaulay!

I think back then we had a different perspective than kids these days. It wasn''t until I was much, much older that I ever thought about where the money came from. The only money that mattered then was the 2 bob to get in and sixpence for the programme. All we cared about were the footballers and to a certain extent the managers. The trainer was just the guy who ran on with a bucket and sponge. We didn''t care about facilities, or hotdogs and drinks. The bogs were outside but so was that green wooden Aladdins cave with all the programmes and badges for sale.

Nowadays the owners are as well known as the football people. Many of those owners have no place in our game and yet younsters hanker for them like we used to wish for players we had seen on TV.

Earlier on Ricardo described the 60''s as dreary and yet some of my very best memories come from the 60''s because that was when I was growing up. My son would probably say his best memories came from the 80''s and early 90''s when he was growing up. (He''s maybe the lucky one but I wouldn''t swap!) And my daughter''s similar memories would be the late 90''s. Living them with her and then the days of Worthington and our memorable seasons 2002-5 is right up there for me. It was magical for her just as what happened with Ron Saunders in the early 70''s was for me.

Each generation will fall in love with the club but we can only see their perspective by looking at things from their point of view.

[quote]My son would probably say his best memories came from the 80''s and early

90''s when he was growing up. (He''s maybe the lucky one but I wouldn''t

swap!) And my daughter''s similar memories would be the late 90''s. Living

them with her and then the days of Worthington and our memorable

seasons 2002-5 is right up there for me. It was magical for her just as

what happened with Ron Saunders in the early 70''s was for me.[/quote]My son is coming up to 6 years old in December.  I''m hoping to get him to a couple of game when it gets warm again, and if he has the attention span for it ( bright kid, takes after mum, gets bored easily ).  Norwich are coming good just at the right time for him - and just as well, as the wifes team at Ashburton Grove is a bit of a commute !

[quote user="yellow hammer"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Lapp.. didn''t Jimmy Moran have a pub while he was managing and coaching local sides after he finished playing?

Rickyyyyy... Tommy Bryceland was my first hero in the 60''s. He was a real footballer, although a different player he was as important to us then as Wes is now. There''s similarities there because both players are the catalyst for others.

This was Tommy before he played for us and my avatar is when he was with us. Below is Tommy last year. He was of course a Saint even though we treated him as one of our own.

[/quote]

I think we played a pre-season friendly against St. Mirren the season that Tommy Bryceland signed for us, because it would have been on of the first games I ever attended at Carrow Road.

It has stuck in my memory because as we entered the ground, I accidently stood on the foot of a giant St. Mirren supporter. I couldn''t understand a word of what he said in reply because I''d never heard such a strong Scottish accent before and I was far too young to understand expletives.

Still, I was in awe. In 1962 coming up from the coast to Norwich seemed like a major expedition, coming all the way down from Scotland for a pre-season friendly was like travelling from the moon.

YH

[/quote]

It still is from Gorleston cliffs if one leaves the motor car. Same process. Same scenery, except riverside.

Walk. Wait. Bus. Walk. Wait. Train. Walk.

That''s how I do it - and still thoroughly enjoy it - when I visit these days.[:)]

Back in the day (late ''50s, ''60s anyway) we were spoilt by Jimmy Calver''s luxury Seagull Coaches (later Caroline?). Picked you up at various convenient points in Gorleston, dropped you at the top of Clarence Road for a quick stroll down to the ground past the vendors of wooden rattles and rosettes. No club shop in those days. We were always early so we could get an envied barrier spot - River End or Barclay, your choice). Afterwards back up Clarence Road to the coach to listen to the BBC Radio results and reports show on the way back. And a dip into the pocket to fill the drivers cap. Then a short walk back to the warmth of a real coal fire in time for mum''s dinner at about 6pm!

Yes, there were many good times.

Remember that in the 50s many of us did not have TV or were just getting used to it and in any event very little football was shown. So most of us only knew what we saw at Carrow Road or on Pathe news clips of internationals or FA cup matches in intermissions at the cinema! Different times indeed.

OTBC

It''s often said that back in the old days, players were just normal blokes. Accessible to the fans. That is true to some degree, though in 69 when I first went to CR aged 10, they were still Gods, and earnt a damn sight more than my old man ever would. The big difference for me, is that they did not live in this parallel universe that exists today between player and fan. These old players were special - but not for their flash cars and girlfriends but for their commitment to NCFC. Young people may not ''get that'' because it is something they will probably never ever witness. People like Bryceland, Curran and Allcock played for us not themselves. And whilst they were paid good money, it was never enough to put them on a different planet to the rest of us. For many, the prize after playing was a pub, newsagents shop or a job in sales.

Bryceland was actually slightly before my time, or at least my memory recall. But I do remember standing in the River End in the mid seventies, long after Tommy had gone, when a lad on the terrace took a ball right in the face. The opposition player just walked away. Somebody nearby to where I was standing recalled that he had once seen Tommy Bryceland do that, and TB was so concerned he ran straight over to help the kid he had hurt. And that is my memory of him.

Trevor Hockey was the biggest single reason for us staying up. Absolutely no doubt. One thing I always smile about all these years later, is that Saunders'' team had a tag of being hard and determined. Gritty. I think when Hockey arrived he actually gave new meanings to those words ! It was obvious he had plied his trade in this manner for a long time. And whilst I don''t argue with the comparison with Jones and Savage in more modern times, I am not actually sure whether even they would have survived 90 minutes with Trevor Hockey - the bearded buccaneer.

(p.s this is the best post on the forum for some time, with some good replies and memories).

[quote user="aitch"]It''s often said that back in the old days, players were just normal blokes. Accessible to the fans. That is true to some degree, though in 69 when I first went to CR aged 10, they were still Gods, and earnt a damn sight more than my old man ever would. The big difference for me, is that they did not live in this parallel universe that exists today between player and fan. These old players were special - but not for their flash cars and girlfriends but for their commitment to NCFC. Young people may not ''get that'' because it is something they will probably never ever witness. People like Bryceland, Curran and Allcock played for us not themselves. And whilst they were paid good money, it was never enough to put them on a different planet to the rest of us. For many, the prize after playing was a pub, newsagents shop or a job in sales.

Bryceland was actually slightly before my time, or at least my memory recall. But I do remember standing in the River End in the mid seventies, long after Tommy had gone, when a lad on the terrace took a ball right in the face. The opposition player just walked away. Somebody nearby to where I was standing recalled that he had once seen Tommy Bryceland do that, and TB was so concerned he ran straight over to help the kid he had hurt. And that is my memory of him.

Trevor Hockey was the biggest single reason for us staying up. Absolutely no doubt. One thing I always smile about all these years later, is that Saunders'' team had a tag of being hard and determined. Gritty. I think when Hockey arrived he actually gave new meanings to those words ! It was obvious he had plied his trade in this manner for a long time. And whilst I don''t argue with the comparison with Jones and Savage in more modern times, I am not actually sure whether even they would have survived 90 minutes with Trevor Hockey - the bearded buccaneer.

(p.s this is the best post on the forum for some time, with some good replies and memories).[/quote]I lived in Sprowston back in the 60s and many of the players lived in ''club'' properties on Cannerby Lane, Old Barn Road etc.  I used to call on the likes of Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland and the like regularly and never got turned away. Every piece of paper was signed or taken to the ground to get ''away team'' autographs.  Terry Allcock in Thorpe was also a regular call.Bryan Thurlow always gave me a ''gift'' to take home including a tie-pin from the clubs'' Hong Kong tour (which I still have) and a team shirt (which I also still have). I feel guilty now having pestered him so, but the pleasure he gave lives with me to this day.It''s hard to describe this close player/fan link the way things are today..... and it''s a shame the players of today are so distant from the kids who are just as starstruck as I was.Still.... hey ho.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I think back then we had a different perspective than kids these days. It wasn''t until I was much, much older that I ever thought about where the money came from. The only money that mattered then was the 2 bob to get in and sixpence for the programme. All we cared about were the footballers and to a certain extent the managers. The trainer was just the guy who ran on with a bucket and sponge. We didn''t care about facilities, or hotdogs and drinks. The bogs were outside but so was that green wooden Aladdins cave with all the programmes and badges for sale.

Nowadays the owners are as well known as the football people. Many of those owners have no place in our game and yet younsters hanker for them like we used to wish for players we had seen on TV.

Earlier on Ricardo described the 60''s as dreary and yet some of my very best memories come from the 60''s because that was when I was growing up. My son would probably say his best memories came from the 80''s and early 90''s when he was growing up. (He''s maybe the lucky one but I wouldn''t swap!) And my daughter''s similar memories would be the late 90''s. Living them with her and then the days of Worthington and our memorable seasons 2002-5 is right up there for me. It was magical for her just as what happened with Ron Saunders in the early 70''s was for me.

Each generation will fall in love with the club but we can only see their perspective by looking at things from their point of view.

[/quote]Nigel, perhaps an explanation is due regarding my view of the sixties as a dreary time in the annuls of NCFC. T o begin with I would mention that after our promotion to division 2 in ''61 we had to endure a string of pretty uneventful seasons hanging around the middle of that division. There was the odd bit of cup excitement but until Ron Saunders arrived we never looked like going places.For me the late fifties marked the end of the golden post war period when clubs still played the old system with 2 fullbacks, a half back line of three and 5 forwards (inc 2 wingers). This formation would be considered naive today but it certainly made for exciting end to end football. In those days if a winger crossed a ball that was too high or too far for the centre forward there would always be the other winger to pick it up or shoot. Nowadays these balls just run out of play because there is no width to the forward line. There was no midfield as such but I suppose you could equate inside forwards with todays attacking midfielders but in essence they were more like forwards and scored plenty of goals. Just look at the records of people like Peter Gordon and Jimmy Hill and you will see what I mean. Football in the 1950''s seemed to be filled with much more goalmouth action and certainly more goals than todays game.During the sixties, all this changed with the introduction of 4-2-4 and Alf Ramsays England method with fullbacks becoming more like wingbacks. The thing I noticed most at Carrow Rd was that we lost the exciting wing play of people like Gavin, Coxon and Crossan and instead of the winger beating his back and being clear to cross it always seemed that another defensive player was covering. We still had the odd exciting winger of course and Billy Punton on his day could bring the crowd to their feet when providing the ammo for Ron Davies but this sort of play gradually faded out through the 60''s.Where wingers had been crossing from the bye line they were now crossing from 20 or 30 yards back making it much easier for defenders to head clear. I realise that players are fitter today and the game is more technical but nothing will convince me that it has become more exciting.Football is still an evolving game but it seems to me that more emphasis is put on not losing than going all out to win.Perhaps it was just the excitement of youth but I can''t help feeling that the changes in the 1960''s made the game more predictable and duller than it was in the 1950''s.

You are absolutely right Cluckbert. Players lived in the community, unlike these days where some even buy a luxury place locally whilst their wives and kids live elsewhere. Basically they are not expecting to be around long enough to put roots down.

My mother and father both followed City, though never went to CR for games. But they knew so many Canary players from the fifties and sixties......from local pubs, bookies, workplaces. They knew their parents or brothers and sisters and friends. These players meant something to everyone who lived in and around the city.

In fairness to modern day players, they have to keep away from modern day fans to a large extent. There is so much nastiness attached to the game these days, it just isn''t safe anymore.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Nigel, perhaps an explanation is due regarding my view of the sixties as a dreary time in the annuls of NCFC. T o begin with I would mention that after our promotion to division 2 in ''61 we had to endure a string of pretty uneventful seasons hanging around the middle of that division. There was the odd bit of cup excitement but until Ron Saunders arrived we never looked like going places.

For me the late fifties marked the end of the golden post war period when clubs still played the old system with 2 fullbacks, a half back line of three and 5 forwards (inc 2 wingers). This formation would be considered naive today but it certainly made for exciting end to end football. In those days if a winger crossed a ball that was too high or too far for the centre forward there would always be the other winger to pick it up or shoot. Nowadays these balls just run out of play because there is no width to the forward line. There was no midfield as such but I suppose you could equate inside forwards with todays attacking midfielders but in essence they were more like forwards and scored plenty of goals. Just look at the records of people like Peter Gordon and Jimmy Hill and you will see what I mean. Football in the 1950''s seemed to be filled with much more goalmouth action and certainly more goals than todays game.

During the sixties, all this changed with the introduction of 4-2-4 and Alf Ramsays England method with fullbacks becoming more like wingbacks. The thing I noticed most at Carrow Rd was that we lost the exciting wing play of people like Gavin, Coxon and Crossan and instead of the winger beating his back and being clear to cross it always seemed that another defensive player was covering. We still had the odd exciting winger of course and Billy Punton on his day could bring the crowd to their feet when providing the ammo for Ron Davies but this sort of play gradually faded out through the 60''s.Where wingers had been crossing from the bye line they were now crossing from 20 or 30 yards back making it much easier for defenders to head clear. I realise that players are fitter today and the game is more technical but nothing will convince me that it has become more exciting.

Football is still an evolving game but it seems to me that more emphasis is put on not losing than going all out to win.Perhaps it was just the excitement of youth but I can''t help feeling that the changes in the 1960''s made the game more predictable and duller than it was in the 1950''s.
[/quote]

There are times Ricardo when you should be banned for writing stuff like that[:D]

I was back walking down Riverside road with my Dad (now dead these past 10years)

The smell the excitement the hero worship. Being passed down to the front over the heads of the crowd. Watching the likes of Bly, Butler and all.

You should not be allowed to make grown men cry!!

The crowds on Thorpe station after the away games. Travelling on the old corridor steam trains to matches.(I lived in the country)

Most of all I remember the feeling of belonging that you had in the crowds then. Didn''t matter if you stood next to a Spurs supporter or whoever, you all belonged to that big family that was football.

Sadly I don''t think that can or will ever be the same again.

A cynic would say the reason why the sixties at Norwich were drear in comparison to the fifties was that the sainted Geoffrey Watling kept picking lousy managers and selling off our talented players. That''s what a heartless cynic would say...

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]Nigel, perhaps an explanation is due regarding my view of the sixties as a dreary time in the annuls of NCFC. T o begin with I would mention that after our promotion to division 2 in ''61 we had to endure a string of pretty uneventful seasons hanging around the middle of that division. There was the odd bit of cup excitement but until Ron Saunders arrived we never looked like going places.For me the late fifties marked the end of the golden post war period when clubs still played the old system with 2 fullbacks, a half back line of three and 5 forwards (inc 2 wingers). This formation would be considered naive today but it certainly made for exciting end to end football. In those days if a winger crossed a ball that was too high or too far for the centre forward there would always be the other winger to pick it up or shoot. Nowadays these balls just run out of play because there is no width to the forward line. There was no midfield as such but I suppose you could equate inside forwards with todays attacking midfielders but in essence they were more like forwards and scored plenty of goals. Just look at the records of people like Peter Gordon and Jimmy Hill and you will see what I mean. Football in the 1950''s seemed to be filled with much more goalmouth action and certainly more goals than todays game.During the sixties, all this changed with the introduction of 4-2-4 and Alf Ramsays England method with fullbacks becoming more like wingbacks. The thing I noticed most at Carrow Rd was that we lost the exciting wing play of people like Gavin, Coxon and Crossan and instead of the winger beating his back and being clear to cross it always seemed that another defensive player was covering. We still had the odd exciting winger of course and Billy Punton on his day could bring the crowd to their feet when providing the ammo for Ron Davies but this sort of play gradually faded out through the 60''s.Where wingers had been crossing from the bye line they were now crossing from 20 or 30 yards back making it much easier for defenders to head clear. I realise that players are fitter today and the game is more technical but nothing will convince me that it has become more exciting.Football is still an evolving game but it seems to me that more emphasis is put on not losing than going all out to win.Perhaps it was just the excitement of youth but I can''t help feeling that the changes in the 1960''s made the game more predictable and duller than it was in the 1950''s.[/quote]

There are times Ricardo when you should be banned for writing stuff like that[:D]

I was back walking down Riverside road with my Dad (now dead these past 10years)

The smell the excitement the hero worship. Being passed down to the front over the heads of the crowd. Watching the likes of Bly, Butler and all.

You should not be allowed to make grown men cry!!

The crowds on Thorpe station after the away games. Travelling on the old corridor steam trains to matches.(I lived in the country)

Most of all I remember the feeling of belonging that you had in the crowds then. Didn''t matter if you stood next to a Spurs supporter or whoever, you all belonged to that big family that was football.

Sadly I don''t think that can or will ever be the same again.

[/quote]Sorry Butler but it brings tears to my eyes as well. Perhaps its something to do with lost youth and looking back down that long hill we''ve climbed. The consolation is they can''t take those memories away from us and maybe we should just be grateful that we lived through such times.I never tire of talking about my memories of times past because this football club has been such a big part of my life and I hope in some small way it helps the next generation of supporters to realise the rich legacy that is being passed down to them.OTBC mate.

Can I just say to all you guys.................... If you have any desire to record your memories on a site that will do them justice, contact me through Sing Up The River End ! http://canaryseventyninety.blogspot.com/ ( e mail address is at bottom of blog)

I know there is often a reluctance to accept blogs, but hopefully mine will be seen as slightly different to many others. I want to continue growing it into a lasting record of everything NCFC and will happily develop a ''Supporters Memories'' section if anyone is interested. Your thoughts will be safe there as it is not a forum. It is free from the nastiness of modern football and is a tribute site to the club we all love. Collectively we all have so many good things to recall..........they do ought to be permanently recorded.

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?

(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)
[/quote]

I thought it was a pretty decent post as I wasnt around in the 60''s so didn''t know how good Archie was. Well done BBB, one of your better posts ol'' chap.

Anyone would think Morty would say anything to attract attention....I think I''ll have a go at that. Morty, youre a wally of the highest order. Hows that folks?

Question for Rickyyyyy - Who was the better centre-half, Barry Butler or Monty Norman?

As for memories, we all have them and I reckon the most treasured will always be from the first years you fell in love!! For me those 60''s years were special. I never saw Terry Allcock in his prime scoring goals for Norwich but I saw him play one game at centre forward after they broke my heart and sold Hugh Curran. He scored the winner in an Easter Monday game against Huddersfield and that memory is mine. So while I know and appreciate what he did before my time, my time is my memories. I never saw Jimmy Hill but did Tommy Bryceland. However much folk tell me about Jimmy Hill won''t gain him a place above Tommy in my heart.

And sometimes we forget all of this when we tell youngsters that they will never see what we did and what they have is nothing compared to what we grew up with. Because it is to them. I''m lucky enough to have shared my club with my kids. And so the more recent past means more to me than some of the other old-timers. So those years when we had success under Worthy mean as much to me if not more than the same sorts of times way back when I was a teenager under Ron Saunders. For the simple reason that I shared the Worthy years with my daughter and watched them from her perspective. Same with my son but everybody enjoyed those years at the end of the 80''s start of the 90''s. And now they both share a season ticket and stand beside me in the Barclay. Except for when we take the Grandkids and sit with the coaches in the technical area otherwise known as the Jarrold.

Because now my grandchildren are on the bottom rungs of the supporter ladder. If they too fall in love I will be lucky enough to see the club from their perspective. So that probably means it will be at least another dozen or so years before I become bitter about how my club has changed from the one I fell in love with.

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote]

I thought it was a pretty decent post as I wasnt around in the 60''s so didn''t know how good Archie was. Well done BBB, one of your better posts ol'' chap.

Anyone would think Morty would say anything to attract attention....I think I''ll have a go at that. Morty, youre a wally of the highest order. Hows that folks?

[/quote]Cock.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="aitch"]It''s often said that back in the old days, players were just normal blokes. Accessible to the fans. That is true to some degree, though in 69 when I first went to CR aged 10, they were still Gods, and earnt a damn sight more than my old man ever would. The big difference for me, is that they did not live in this parallel universe that exists today between player and fan. These old players were special - but not for their flash cars and girlfriends but for their commitment to NCFC. Young people may not ''get that'' because it is something they will probably never ever witness. People like Bryceland, Curran and Allcock played for us not themselves. And whilst they were paid good money, it was never enough to put them on a different planet to the rest of us. For many, the prize after playing was a pub, newsagents shop or a job in sales. Bryceland was actually slightly before my time, or at least my memory recall. But I do remember standing in the River End in the mid seventies, long after Tommy had gone, when a lad on the terrace took a ball right in the face. The opposition player just walked away. Somebody nearby to where I was standing recalled that he had once seen Tommy Bryceland do that, and TB was so concerned he ran straight over to help the kid he had hurt. And that is my memory of him. Trevor Hockey was the biggest single reason for us staying up. Absolutely no doubt. One thing I always smile about all these years later, is that Saunders'' team had a tag of being hard and determined. Gritty. I think when Hockey arrived he actually gave new meanings to those words ! It was obvious he had plied his trade in this manner for a long time. And whilst I don''t argue with the comparison with Jones and Savage in more modern times, I am not actually sure whether even they would have survived 90 minutes with Trevor Hockey - the bearded buccaneer. (p.s this is the best post on the forum for some time, with some good replies and memories).[/quote]

I lived in Sprowston back in the 60s and many of the players lived in ''club'' properties on Cannerby Lane, Old Barn Road etc.  I used to call on the likes of Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland and the like regularly and never got turned away. Every piece of paper was signed or taken to the ground to get ''away team'' autographs.  Terry Allcock in Thorpe was also a regular call.

Bryan Thurlow always gave me a ''gift'' to take home including a tie-pin from the clubs'' Hong Kong tour (which I still have) and a team shirt (which I also still have). I feel guilty now having pestered him so, but the pleasure he gave lives with me to this day.

It''s hard to describe this close player/fan link the way things are today..... and it''s a shame the players of today are so distant from the kids who are just as starstruck as I was.

Still.... hey ho.

[/quote]

I agree Cluck, it''s sad that those days have gone and in some respect the players/agents/clubs have brought it on themselves as lots of them are far from saintly...but I''m sure if Terry Allcock chatted to a girl in a pub after a match the photo of him chatting to her (at a dodgy angle) wouldnt be all over the press the next day as she would have gone to them with a made up kiss and tell story...like messrs Lampard, J.Cole, etc. I think the footballers being so distant to fans is a bit more complex than just them/us nowadays. Are they the untouchables or is it us?

Still, NCFC are a long way of Chelsea/manure/arse on those stakes....and a good job too.

[quote user="morty"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cock.
[/quote]

what a prize bell-end,...are you ever off this forum? Life - get one.

[quote user="spencer 1970"][quote user="morty"][quote user="spencer 1970"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote]

[/quote]Cock.[/quote]

what a prize bell-end,...are you ever off this forum? Life - get one.

[/quote]Go F uck yourself.[:)]

Reply Quote

Question for Rickyyyyy - Who was the better centre-half, Barry Butler or Monty Norman?

Can I answer that Nutty.

Obviously for me Barry Butler, although surprisingly over the years (and I have witnesses) I have been mistaken for Monty Norman!

Butlers timing was perfection, he very seldom got beaten in the air and always semed to be in the right place at the right time.

Should have played for England and had we been in a higher league then I am sure he would have.

One for Ricardo, Can you remember his shouts of "turn the floodlights on Archie" as it got dusk?

[quote user="aitch"]Can I just say to all you guys.................... If you have any desire to record your memories on a site that will do them justice, contact me through Sing Up The River End ! http://canaryseventyninety.blogspot.com/ ( e mail address is at bottom of blog)

I know there is often a reluctance to accept blogs, but hopefully mine will be seen as slightly different to many others. I want to continue growing it into a lasting record of everything NCFC and will happily develop a ''Supporters Memories'' section if anyone is interested. Your thoughts will be safe there as it is not a forum. It is free from the nastiness of modern football and is a tribute site to the club we all love. Collectively we all have so many good things to recall..........they do ought to be permanently recorded.[/quote]---

Since we were on Tommy Bryceland, this is a memory of him, but one which now

seems so unlikely I may have imagined it. Anyway, on my only visit to Portman

Road, in the 67/68 season, we are drawing 0-0 going into injury time at the end

of the second half. We get a corner. Over comes Bryceland to take it. Up into

the Ipswich penalty area trudge our knackered central defenders. Is this our

chance for last-minute glory??? Hurrah!!!!!!

Bryceland takes his time, and then, very carefully and very deliberately,

nudges the ball over the goal-line. And just stands there, as if nothing has

happened. And nothing does happen for a moment. Then pandemonium as the players

cotton on. An Ipswich defender rushes over to get the ball to take a quick

goal-kick, our knackered (and probably cursing) central defenders run back. Our

hurrahs get stuck in our throats. It ends 0-0. Ipswich go up as champions. We

finish ninth.

I hope I didn''t imagine this.

Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[/quote]Surely that would have been post #2 in the whole thread...[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no

one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote]

[quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[/quote]Surely that would have been post #2 in the whole thread...[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no

one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote][/quote]Lol, is it morty gangf uck night?I think Bly is a boring old windbag, with troll like tendancies, that is my opinion and I really don''t care if anyone else shares it or not.I was perfectly happy to just let it go, until various people decided to jump on the anti morty bandwagon.[:)]

[quote user="spencer 1970"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="aitch"]It''s often said that back in the old days, players were just normal blokes. Accessible to the fans. That is true to some degree, though in 69 when I first went to CR aged 10, they were still Gods, and earnt a damn sight more than my old man ever would. The big difference for me, is that they did not live in this parallel universe that exists today between player and fan. These old players were special - but not for their flash cars and girlfriends but for their commitment to NCFC. Young people may not ''get that'' because it is something they will probably never ever witness. People like Bryceland, Curran and Allcock played for us not themselves. And whilst they were paid good money, it was never enough to put them on a different planet to the rest of us. For many, the prize after playing was a pub, newsagents shop or a job in sales. Bryceland was actually slightly before my time, or at least my memory recall. But I do remember standing in the River End in the mid seventies, long after Tommy had gone, when a lad on the terrace took a ball right in the face. The opposition player just walked away. Somebody nearby to where I was standing recalled that he had once seen Tommy Bryceland do that, and TB was so concerned he ran straight over to help the kid he had hurt. And that is my memory of him. Trevor Hockey was the biggest single reason for us staying up. Absolutely no doubt. One thing I always smile about all these years later, is that Saunders'' team had a tag of being hard and determined. Gritty. I think when Hockey arrived he actually gave new meanings to those words ! It was obvious he had plied his trade in this manner for a long time. And whilst I don''t argue with the comparison with Jones and Savage in more modern times, I am not actually sure whether even they would have survived 90 minutes with Trevor Hockey - the bearded buccaneer. (p.s this is the best post on the forum for some time, with some good replies and memories).[/quote]I lived in Sprowston back in the 60s and many of the players lived in ''club'' properties on Cannerby Lane, Old Barn Road etc.  I used to call on the likes of Bryan Thurlow, Jackie Bell, Gordon Bolland and the like regularly and never got turned away. Every piece of paper was signed or taken to the ground to get ''away team'' autographs.  Terry Allcock in Thorpe was also a regular call.Bryan Thurlow always gave me a ''gift'' to take home including a tie-pin from the clubs'' Hong Kong tour (which I still have) and a team shirt (which I also still have). I feel guilty now having pestered him so, but the pleasure he gave lives with me to this day.It''s hard to describe this close player/fan link the way things are today..... and it''s a shame the players of today are so distant from the kids who are just as starstruck as I was.Still.... hey ho.[/quote]

I agree Cluck, it''s sad that those days have gone and in some respect the players/agents/clubs have brought it on themselves as lots of them are far from saintly...but I''m sure if Terry Allcock chatted to a girl in a pub after a match the photo of him chatting to her (at a dodgy angle) wouldnt be all over the press the next day as she would have gone to them with a made up kiss and tell story...like messrs Lampard, J.Cole, etc. I think the footballers being so distant to fans is a bit more complex than just them/us nowadays. Are they the untouchables or is it us?

Still, NCFC are a long way of Chelsea/manure/arse on those stakes....and a good job too.

[/quote]Totally right......it is a different world now and I guess just as I think the Beatles were/are the best band/group in the history of music..... the footballers we cheered on back then will always be up on there on a pedestal.One of the joys of getting older I''m afraid.......  [:)]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote][/quote]Lol, is it morty gangf uck night?I think Bly is a boring old windbag, with troll like tendancies, that is my opinion and I really don''t care if anyone else shares it or not.I was perfectly happy to just let it go, until various people decided to jump on the anti morty bandwagon.[:)]

[/quote]I''m not on any bandwagon, I think you''re usually pretty fair but I think on this occasion you were quite quick to jump on what turned out to be a fair enough post.  No big.  Hope Holland''s treating you well. [Y]

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[/quote]

I''m reading through this thread, enjoying it immensely and thinking: ''There''s a book in there''.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

As for memories, we all have them and I reckon the most treasured will always be from the first years you fell in love!! For me those 60''s years were special. I never saw Terry Allcock in his prime scoring goals for Norwich but I saw him play one game at centre forward after they broke my heart and sold Hugh Curran. He scored the winner in an Easter Monday game against Huddersfield and that memory is mine. So while I know and appreciate what he did before my time, my time is my memories. I never saw Jimmy Hill but did Tommy Bryceland. However much folk tell me about Jimmy Hill won''t gain him a place above Tommy in my heart.

And sometimes we forget all of this when we tell youngsters that they will never see what we did and what they have is nothing compared to what we grew up with. Because it is to them. I''m lucky enough to have shared my club with my kids. And so the more recent past means more to me than some of the other old-timers. So those years when we had success under Worthy mean as much to me if not more than the same sorts of times way back when I was a teenager under Ron Saunders. For the simple reason that I shared the Worthy years with my daughter and watched them from her perspective. Same with my son but everybody enjoyed those years at the end of the 80''s start of the 90''s. And now they both share a season ticket and stand beside me in the Barclay. Except for when we take the Grandkids and sit with the coaches in the technical area otherwise known as the Jarrold.

Because now my grandchildren are on the bottom rungs of the supporter ladder. If they too fall in love I will be lucky enough to see the club from their perspective. So that probably means it will be at least another dozen or so years before I become bitter about how my club has changed from the one I fell in love with.

[/quote]I think I was probably 10 or 11 when I first saw Monty Norman play. It was in a reserve match as my dad first introduced me to Carrow Rd through reserve games. I would go with him to the occasional first team match but I think he worried about me when there was a large crowd. In those days it was standing only apart from the main stand  and boys had to get near the front in order to see. I can remember my dad saying that Norman would be an England player one day but being a young lad this largely went over my head. However I think Normans subsequent career with Spurs and England speaks volumes for the fact that he was a great player and that my old chap was a pretty decent judge of a footballer. Barry Butler will stay in my memory forever. a big strong player, good in the air and supremely calm on the ground. Its hard to equate players from different era''s and different levels but in my 56 years I can''t say I''ve seen better in yellow and green. I only met Barry once. My pal and I were chucking stones in the river near foundry bridge when he pulled up in his car to get a newspaper from the little kiosk that used to stand there. I got to shake his hand and I''m sure his head was surrounded with a golden aura, but perhaps that was just the sun in my eyes.You say you missed seeing Terry Allcock in his prime, well I can tell you that you missed a sight. Superb with his head and deadly with his feet. He came from Bolton where he was billed as Nat Lofthouses understudy.  Those of you who know your football history will remember Lofthouse  as the "Lion of Vienna". He was what I always term an "old fashioned centre forward" the type who could run through brick walls. Terry was tall but not so stocky and more of the build of Ron Davies who I''m sure you remember well. Whenever I think of Terry I see him in my minds eye heading a goal at the Barclay End but for the life of me I can''t see who we were playing against. Funny thing is memory.Like you Nigel, I introduced my son to football at an early age. It was the mid seventies and his earliest memories go back to Martin Peters, Ted Mac and all. I only have grandaughters so its a harder task getting them intersted but I also have a 1 year old Great grandson so fingers crossed the magic will be passed on.

[quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[/quote]I''m not on any bandwagon, I think you''re usually pretty fair but I think on this occasion you were quite quick to jump on what turned out to be a fair enough post.  No big.  Hope Holland''s treating you well. [Y][/quote]Yeah, i''ll agree with you, as it has turned out it has been more interesting threads, as opposed to the tripe he posts, knowing full well it winds certain people up. I know you weren''t part of the bandwagon lol, but it makes me chuckle when people feel justified in having a pop at me, for having a pop at someone else, there really is a bizarre, skewed irony in it.Ta, Holland is hard work but not too bad.[:)]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.[:)]

[/quote]

I''m reading through this thread, enjoying it immensely and thinking: ''There''s a book in there''.[/quote]My advice is get a good ghost writer, and I want 10%.

[quote user="Shyster"]I''m reading through this thread, enjoying it immensely and thinking: ''There''s a book in there''.[/quote]I thought that about the Trevor Hockey thread, but realise I actually meant "there''s a booking there."

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"][quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="morty"]Oh and before one of you oldies have a pop for soiling your happy thread, feel free to read back and see who saw fit to start having a go.

[:)]

[/quote]

Surely that would have been post #2 in the whole thread...

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lol, is it morty gangf uck night?

I think Bly is a boring old windbag, with troll like tendancies, that is my opinion and I really don''t care if anyone else shares it or not.

I was perfectly happy to just let it go, until various people decided to jump on the anti morty bandwagon.

[/quote]

I''m not on any bandwagon, I think you''re usually pretty fair but I think on this occasion you were quite quick to jump on what turned out to be a fair enough post.  No big.  Hope Holland''s treating you well. [Y]

[/quote]

Yeah, i''ll agree with you, as it has turned out it has been more interesting threads, as opposed to the tripe he posts, knowing full well it winds certain people up. I know you weren''t part of the bandwagon lol, but it makes me chuckle when people feel justified in having a pop at me, for having a pop at someone else, there really is a bizarre, skewed irony in it.

Ta, Holland is hard work but not too bad.

[/quote]

I think you should get yourself down to a coffee shop [:D][:D][:D]