Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's see if Paul Lambert can trump Archie Macaulay!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]

Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.

[/quote]

Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.

If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.

[/quote]

Purple.. I think Rickyyyyyy was referring to Johnny Gavin as the legendary player that Moran was brought in to replace.

It''s amazing how we lost so many legends yet replaced them with others back then. Not Moran for Gavin obviously. But  Ralph Hunt and Johnny Gavin both left the club about a season before the famous cup run.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I thought you liked to ignore trolls Morty :P[/quote]

But Morty is the Troll Meister. Trouble is that he trolls on here so often (all the time it seems) it''s impossible to ignore him. I visit this MB from time to time, sometimes with intervals of several weeks, but it''s guaranteed that whenever I do thre''s good old Morty trolling away and getting up someone or other''s nose. Wouldn''t be the same without Morty, King of Trolls.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.[/quote]Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.[/quote]Yes PC, you are probably right about that. The problem with having witnessed 56 seasons is that the memory sometimes plays tricks and gets things out of sequence.Now, Tommy Bryceland. Time was when if Tommy didn''t play then City couldn''t win. He was not a s quick as Hill or as good a goal scorer but as you rightly comment he had a superb football brain. He was only a little guy but had a low centre of gravity and was not easily knocked off the ball. In some ways he had a very similar style to Wes Hoolahan. Tommy was a very astute and accurate passer and laid on many a goal for the likes of Ron Davies and Gordan Bolland. The footballers early sixties were a completely different kettle of fish to todays players and I can still remember seeing Tommy strolling down King St on the morning of a matchday.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''.[/quote]Nutty. I can''t rememember the game in question but I do remember that he was listed in the local press and/or the match programme as A.N.Other on his debut, a fact that Jimmy and I had a chuckle about many years later. He also figured in that 58/59 cup run (a fact that Bly seems to have forgotten) as he played in the 1st round v Ilford.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.[/quote]Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.[/quote]Yes PC, you are probably right about that. The problem with having witnessed 56 seasons is that the memory sometimes plays tricks and gets things out of sequence.Now, Tommy Bryceland. Time was when if Tommy didn''t play then City couldn''t win. He was not a s quick as Hill or as good a goal scorer but as you rightly comment he had a superb football brain. He was only a little guy but had a low centre of gravity and was not easily knocked off the ball. In some ways he had a very similar style to Wes Hoolahan. Tommy was a very astute and accurate passer and laid on many a goal for the likes of Ron Davies and Gordan Bolland. The footballers early sixties were a completely different kettle of fish to todays players and I can still remember seeing Tommy strolling down King St on the morning of a matchday.[/quote]Ricardo, I like the Hoolahan comparison. In those days Bryceland was what was known in Scottish slang as a tanner (or tannae?) ball-player. Meaning, I suppose, someone so skilful they could land their long passes on a sixpence. This may come as a shock to younger readers, but this was at a time when Scotland actually had some decent players. No, really! So Brycleand never got capped. Nowadays, Scotland being so bereft, he''d have a few at least.

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.[/quote]Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.[/quote]

Purple.. I think Rickyyyyyy was referring to Johnny Gavin as the legendary player that Moran was brought in to replace.

It''s amazing how we lost so many legends yet replaced them with others back then. Not Moran for Gavin obviously. But  Ralph Hunt and Johnny Gavin both left the club about a season before the famous cup run.

[/quote]Don''t get me started on Johnny Gavin, Nigel. He was my first Canary Hero. He could and did play anywhere on the front line. Either wing or Centre Forward it was all the same to him. He was not a big guy but had a prodigious leap and was very very good with his head. In a way he was a bit like Speedy who used to play for Coventry a few seasons back but much bulkier in frame. I may have mentioned before that I once saw him score 4 goals in a game (Southend "55,"56 or "57 ??). Anyway it was all a long time ago but I can still remember every goal and the snow all piled up round the pitch.Also Ralph Hunt. Imagine Grant Holt a couple of stone heavier and a couple of inches taller and you''ve got Ralph Hunt. I should also say a couple of yards slower because Ralph wasn''t quick and the game was a lot slower in those days. However I witnessed the season he broke Percy Varco''s scoring record and although a lot of those were laid on a plate for him by Bobby Brennan he was sill a decent old fashioned Centre Forward. I think Ralph went on to play for quite a number of teams in the 3rd and 4th divisions but was sadly killed in a car accident when still  quite young.You won''t get any of that from googling, mate.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"]If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''.[/quote]Nutty. I can''t rememember the game in question but I do remember that he was listed in the local press and/or the match programme as A.N.Other on his debut, a fact that Jimmy and I had a chuckle about many years later. He also figured in that 58/59 cup run (a fact that Bly seems to have forgotten) as he played in the 1st round v Ilford.[/quote]Thats how I remember it.You are older than you look Lapps.

Lapp.. didn''t Jimmy Moran have a pub while he was managing and coaching local sides after he finished playing?

Rickyyyyy... Tommy Bryceland was my first hero in the 60''s. He was a real footballer, although a different player he was as important to us then as Wes is now. There''s similarities there because both players are the catalyst for others.

This was Tommy before he played for us and my avatar is when he was with us. Below is Tommy last year. He was of course a Saint even though we treated him as one of our own.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"]If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''.[/quote]Nutty. I can''t rememember the game in question but I do remember that he was listed in the local press and/or the match programme as A.N.Other on his debut, a fact that Jimmy and I had a chuckle about many years later. He also figured in that 58/59 cup run (a fact that Bly seems to have forgotten) as he played in the 1st round v Ilford.[/quote]Thats how I remember it.You are older than you look Lapps.[/quote]Thanks Ricardo. I remember with fondness all those names you list along with earlier ones like Ken Oxford, Tommy Johnston and Johnny Summers. And mingling with the away supporters and wondering about their ''funny'' accents. Mmmmm, great days.[:D]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]Lapp.. didn''t Jimmy Moran have a pub while he was managing and coaching local sides after he finished playing?[/quote]I really can''t remember Nutty but I know he enjoyed a pint as you would often find him in The Elm when Albert Bennett ran it. I do know he worked for the Post office for several years. I last saw him about five years ago when we walked into the City together.

Great to see him looking well Nigel. I think at one time he had a sports shop in St Augustines just after he packed up playing.He was a great player and enlivened many of those games in the dreary sixties when we spent so many seasons in the lower midle of Division 2. I can still see him now in my minds eye wriggling past players with total close control of the ball. I often think of him when I watch Wes, he was a bit bulkier in frame but he could make a fool of any defender who tried to dive in on him.

[quote user="ricardo"]
Don''t get me started on Johnny Gavin, Nigel. He was my first Canary Hero. He could and did play anywhere on the front line. Either wing or Centre Forward it was all the same to him. He was not a big guy but had a prodigious leap and was very very good with his head. In a way he was a bit like Speedy who used to play for Coventry a few seasons back but much bulkier in frame. I may have mentioned before that I once saw him score 4 goals in a game (Southend "55,"56 or "57 ??). Anyway it was all a long time ago but I can still remember every goal and the snow all piled up round the pitch.

Also Ralph Hunt. Imagine Grant Holt a couple of stone heavier and a couple of inches taller and you''ve got Ralph Hunt. I should also say a couple of yards slower because Ralph wasn''t quick and the game was a lot slower in those days. However I witnessed the season he broke Percy Varco''s scoring record and although a lot of those were laid on a plate for him by Bobby Brennan he was sill a decent old fashioned Centre Forward. I think Ralph went on to play for quite a number of teams in the 3rd and 4th divisions but was sadly killed in a car accident when still  quite young.

You won''t get any of that from googling, mate.
[/quote]

You won''t indeed Rickyyyyy

I was told about Willie Coxon and Peter Gordon as wingers from the same time. They apparently set up a lot of goals for Ralph Hunt and scored a few themselves too.

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="ricardo"][quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="nutty nigel"]If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''.[/quote]Nutty. I can''t rememember the game in question but I do remember that he was listed in the local press and/or the match programme as A.N.Other on his debut, a fact that Jimmy and I had a chuckle about many years later. He also figured in that 58/59 cup run (a fact that Bly seems to have forgotten) as he played in the 1st round v Ilford.[/quote]Thats how I remember it.You are older than you look Lapps.[/quote]Thanks Ricardo. I remember with fondness all those names you list along with earlier ones like Ken Oxford, Tommy Johnston and Johnny Summers. And mingling with the away supporters and wondering about their ''funny'' accents. Mmmmm, great days.[:D][/quote]Indeed Lapps. A long with Dennis Morgan, Reg Foulkes and Donny Pickwick.It was a different game then and Carrow Rd was a different place and On the Ball City was sung and not chanted but I''m glad I''ve lived in the era that I have.

[quote user="ricardo"]Don''t get me started on Johnny Gavin, Nigel. He was my first Canary Hero. He could and did play anywhere on the front line. Either wing or Centre Forward it was all the same to him. He was not a big guy but had a prodigious leap and was very very good with his head. In a way he was a bit like Speedy who used to play for Coventry a few seasons back but much bulkier in frame. I may have mentioned before that I once saw him score 4 goals in a game (Southend "55,"56 or "57 ??). Anyway it was all a long time ago but I can still remember every goal and the snow all piled up round the pitch.Also Ralph Hunt. Imagine Grant Holt a couple of stone heavier and a couple of inches taller and you''ve got Ralph Hunt. I should also say a couple of yards slower because Ralph wasn''t quick and the game was a lot slower in those days. However I witnessed the season he broke Percy Varco''s scoring record and although a lot of those were laid on a plate for him by Bobby Brennan he was sill a decent old fashioned Centre Forward. I think Ralph went on to play for quite a number of teams in the 3rd and 4th divisions but was sadly killed in a car accident when still  quite young.You won''t get any of that from googling, mate.[/quote]

You won''t indeed Rickyyyyy

I was told about Willie Coxon and Peter Gordon as wingers from the same time. They apparently set up a lot of goals for Ralph Hunt and scored a few themselves too.

[/quote]Peter Gordon''s knickname was flash but that was more to do with his hair being fair like Buster Crabbe than him being very quick. Billy Coxon used to take all the penalties and he could really leather a dead ball. They used to say Peter Lorimer had the hardest shot in football but Coxon''s was certainly the hardest I''ve ever seen.

Those dreary 60''s weren''t dreary to me Rickyyyyy. I didn''t have the 50''s to compare so players like Kevin Keelan, Mal Lucas, Tommy Bryceand and Hugh Curran were real heroes of mine. Bryceland scored in my first game at Carrow Road against Sheffield Wednesday in the cup. The previous round we had beaten manchester United at Old Trafford. A victory as unlikely as any I can remember. I reckon he scored as many goals from midfield as Wes does.

Anyway.. I gotta get on and do what I''m supposed to be doing but I''ll leave you with my pointless but interesting stat about Tommy Bryceland. As St Mirren Manager he sold us Jim Blair!

I forgive him........

Do you?

[;)]

Those dreary 60''s weren''t dreary to me Rickyyyyy. I didn''t have the 50''s to compare so players like Kevin Keelan, Mal Lucas, Tommy Bryceand and Hugh Curran were real heroes of mine. Bryceland scored in my first game at Carrow Road against Sheffield Wednesday in the cup. The previous round we had beaten manchester United at Old Trafford. A victory as unlikely as any I can remember. I reckon he scored as many goals from midfield as Wes does.

Anyway.. I gotta get on and do what I''m supposed to be doing but I''ll leave you with my pointless but interesting stat about Tommy Bryceland. As St Mirren Manager he sold us Jim Blair!

I forgive him........

Do you?

[;)]

[/quote]Hmm, thats a hard one Nigel but I guess Tommy brought us more joy than Blair brought us sorrow so alls forgiven from me.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

Yeah you did Davo. But not from him, we learned from those who had something interesting to share. I never tire of talking about our great club with those who have something interesting to say. But I won''t be fooled any of the time by the trolls.

[/quote]Here we go. The wounded hero is at it again.I''m genuinely touched to see the youngsters showing interest in what Bly says. Only by looking back to where we have come from can we fully understand where we are going .....and Bly is a very good source of this knowledge.After your humiliation during the fabled PURIST GROUP nonsense I thought you might have learnt your lesson.[/quote]

Bly has no knowledge of our football club as has been proved over again. Yet do you Nora. You both have plenty to say but none of it will help the youngsters understand anything except the trolling of messageboards. Which that Purist Group nonsense, when you totally embarrassed the very people who you claimed had an insight in our club, was a great example of.

I think I might actually die waiting for these steamrollers arrive but I''m not surprised you coming here to try and cause havoc on a thread where folk who DO HAVE an insight into the history of our club are having a discussion.

Go on.. prove me wrong.. you and Bly join the discussion properly......

[/quote]Oh dear......That tripe needs no other reaction than pity. What a spiteful little fellow you are.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="ricardo"]

Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.

[/quote]

Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.

If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don''t get me started on Johnny Gavin, Nigel. He was my first Canary Hero. He could and did play anywhere on the front line. Either wing or Centre Forward it was all the same to him. He was not a big guy but had a prodigious leap and was very very good with his head. In a way he was a bit like Speedy who used to play for Coventry a few seasons back but much bulkier in frame. I may have mentioned before that I once saw him score 4 goals in a game (Southend "55,"56 or "57 ??). Anyway it was all a long time ago but I can still remember every goal and the snow all piled up round the pitch.

Also Ralph Hunt. Imagine Grant Holt a couple of stone heavier and a couple of inches taller and you''ve got Ralph Hunt. I should also say a couple of yards slower because Ralph wasn''t quick and the game was a lot slower in those days. However I witnessed the season he broke Percy Varco''s scoring record and although a lot of those were laid on a plate for him by Bobby Brennan he was sill a decent old fashioned Centre Forward. I think Ralph went on to play for quite a number of teams in the 3rd and 4th divisions but was sadly killed in a car accident when still  quite young.

You won''t get any of that from googling, mate.
[/quote]

It was 1957 against southend. I was there too. Me and Doris were friends with his his wife Bridie although we havent spoken for many years.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]

Oh dear......

That tripe needs no other reaction than pity. What a spiteful little fellow you are.
[/quote]

• Starts with Oh dear..... [Y]
  • Contains nothing of substance [Y]
  • Ends with an insult [Y]
  • Adds nothing to the thread whatsoever[Y]

I didn''t think it was spiteful though, it''s not like I wanted to see anyone dead or anything. I bet you''re a right minger Nora!

Remember the wise words of Abe[:-*]

[quote user=":o)"]Sorry Morty but there is nothing wrong with this post, which is quite interesting apart from a certain team being top/quote]

The fact they went on to win the 1st Division the following season is a bit of a pisser as well.  I suggest all posts that show the scum near the top of a table should be banned.  BlyBlyBabes should be taken out and shot as an example.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The previous manager to get City promoted from the Third Division (1959-60) was Archie Macaulay who then led us to 4th place in the Second division the following season (1960-61):

FAWDLFAWDLFAGAPt 
1Ipswich Town4226791005515335524114645311.8259
2Sheffield United4226610815116234922104732291.5958
3Liverpool4221101187581452492175938371.5052
4Norwich City4220913705315334620561024331.3249
5Middlesbrough42181212837413624420561039541.1248
6Sunderland4217131275601254472458828361.2547
7Swansea City42181113777314434926471028471.0547
8Southampton4218816848112455735641127461.0444
9Scunthorpe United421415136964984392557930391.0843
10Charlton Athletic4216111597911236604248937491.0743

I reckon not many of us realised that Lambert had such a hard act to follow!

But records are there to be beaten, and I''m sure Archie would be delighted.

OTBC

[/quote]

I can remember standing in the Barclay when we beat Liverpool 2-1 that season.

It was a considerable achievement at that time, and we were very proud.

In fact, I think it was my first match in the Barclay having alternately tolerated soakings, balmy spring days, snow, bitter winds and sunburn at the River End for a little over 2 years. Maybe by that time I''d also found the better paying school holiday jobs and could divi up a bit more at the turnstiles! Of course there was also a bit less chance of some old boy clipping you on the back of the head with his rattle when City scored.

[:)]

OTBC

Two of the crucial decisions taken by Bill Nicholson in his creation of the Spurs 1960-61 League/FA Cup double winning side had their roots in their defeat by City in the FA Cup in 1959.

Defeat by a Third Division side caused him to think deeply and reconsider his team-building strategy. He reversed his decision to drop and dispense with the services of Danny Blanchflower (who was no spring chicken by then) and instead re-instaed him and made him captain. He also reversed his decision to bring in Mel Charles (brother of the legendary John) to strengthen their midfield and instead went out and signed Dave Mackay one of our games legendary midfield enforcers - although in those days I''m sure he was characterised as a defensive wing-half!

So out of ''bad'' came ''good'' for Spurs.

Maybe that''s a reason they''ve let us have so many good players over the years. One never knows! 

Of course former Norwich and England centre-half Monty Norman was also key member of that legendary Spurs double-winning team.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Of course former Norwich and England centre-half Monty Norman was also key member of that legendary Spurs double-winning team.

OTBC

[/quote]

I believe the deal for Norman was £20,000 plus Johnny Gavin. A decent amount for a 3rd Division centre half but in the light of Monty Normans subsequent career, it was a great bargain for Spurs.

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]Two of the crucial decisions taken by Bill Nicholson in his creation of the Spurs 1960-61 League/FA Cup double winning side had their roots in their defeat by City in the FA Cup in 1959.

Defeat by a Third Division side caused him to think deeply and reconsider his team-building strategy. He reversed his decision to drop and dispense with the services of Danny Blanchflower (who was no spring chicken by then) and instead re-instaed him and made him captain. He also reversed his decision to bring in Mel Charles (brother of the legendary John) to strengthen their midfield and instead went out and signed Dave Mackay one of our games legendary midfield enforcers - although in those days I''m sure he was characterised as a defensive wing-half!

So out of ''bad'' came ''good'' for Spurs. Maybe that''s a reason they''ve let us have so many good players over the years. One never knows! Of course former Norwich and England centre-half Monty Norman was also key member of that legendary Spurs double-winning team.[/quote]But that doesn''t really address your opening post does it Bly apart from your footnote where you mention Monty Norman who had already departed? I don''t see how waxing lyrical about Spurs circa 1960 helps us decide whether Paul Lambert can trump Archie Macaulay! Two questions for you........

1. Did you ever see any of the players mentioned in this thread and if so, which ones?

2. Do YOU think Paul Lambert will be as successful as Archie Macaulay?

All these old accounts are great to read, especially those from the memory. I''m afraid my memories only stretch back to about 85, however, I look forward to regaling those probably not even born about my early heroes, the likes of Deehan, Bruce and Drinkell. In the meantime I''m loving hearing about the years before me, the feeling and atmosphere that your words create cannot be replicated in books or on the net, I appreciate the history lesson.

[quote user="ricardo"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

OTBC

[/quote]

I believe the deal for Norman was £20,000 plus Johnny Gavin. A decent amount for a 3rd Division centre half but in the light of Monty Normans subsequent career, it was a great bargain for Spurs.

[/quote]

I have a vaguely interesting but useless stat about him too Rickyyyyyy. When he first went to Spurs he played full back and replaced a certain Alf Ramsey in their side.

They called him "the one that got away" but given that we signed Barry Butler shortly afterwards a friend of mine told me that getting Gavin plus cash was a great deal for City too.

Lapp.. didn''t Jimmy Moran have a pub while he was managing and coaching local sides after he finished playing?

Rickyyyyy... Tommy Bryceland was my first hero in the 60''s. He was a real footballer, although a different player he was as important to us then as Wes is now. There''s similarities there because both players are the catalyst for others.

This was Tommy before he played for us and my avatar is when he was with us. Below is Tommy last year. He was of course a Saint even though we treated him as one of our own.

[/quote]

I think we played a pre-season friendly against St. Mirren the season that Tommy Bryceland signed for us, because it would have been on of the first games I ever attended at Carrow Road.

It has stuck in my memory because as we entered the ground, I accidently stood on the foot of a giant St. Mirren supporter. I couldn''t understand a word of what he said in reply because I''d never heard such a strong Scottish accent before and I was far too young to understand expletives.

Still, I was in awe. In 1962 coming up from the coast to Norwich seemed like a major expedition, coming all the way down from Scotland for a pre-season friendly was like travelling from the moon.

YH

[quote user="yellow hammer"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

I think we played a pre-season friendly against St. Mirren the season that Tommy Bryceland signed for us, because it would have been on of the first games I ever attended at Carrow Road.

It has stuck in my memory because as we entered the ground, I accidently stood on the foot of a giant St. Mirren supporter. I couldn''t understand a word of what he said in reply because I''d never heard such a strong Scottish accent before and I was far too young to understand expletives.

Still, I was in awe. In 1962 coming up from the coast to Norwich seemed like a major expedition, coming all the way down from Scotland for a pre-season friendly was like travelling from the moon.

YH

[/quote]The same year as me versus Bury.I''m sure alot of the youngsters on here get tired of us going on about ''the old days'' .... but they really were so ''different''. It was much more basic in so many ways and a good percentage of the players we had on the park were ordinary to say the least..... but they were easy to equate with, gave their all and win or lose we still loved them.