Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's see if Paul Lambert can trump Archie Macaulay!

And maybe Lambert is more like this man.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKrGdY6VeAI

And now the Ryder Cup is over, an before this board gets busy again, I am wondering who the "not so good types of player as individuals" were.

Like Lambert, Saunders inherited the bulk of the players who took Norwich forward. Already at the club he had Keelan, Payne, Butler, Black, Forbes, Stringer, Foggo, Briggs and Anderson. Bone, Cross, Silvester, Paddon and Livermore were his additions. So it was midfield and forward players that Saunders had to replace whilst Lambert has had to replace defenders.

I wonder if Lambert inherited any "not so good types of player as individuals".

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

Oh sorry, I stand corrected.

Out of 923 views, 6 of you found this interesting.

Please accept my humblest apologies.

[;)]

[/quote]

I suspect 917 of the views were by you Morty....attempting to see if there was another single person that agreed with you. Here''s another one that does not. Please note I only speak for myself, a point you need to appreciate for yourself.

Good post Bly. Archie Macaulay''s influence was not only to the players under his charge but also everyone associated with the club, moving Norwich to a higher level of confidence in what their potential really was when, prior to his arrival, we were desperately close to going in the other direction. 

[/quote]

Exactly so Yankee. Excellent point.

OTBC

[/quote]

It is an excellent point but the thing is......

It wasn''t your point was it[:|]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC

[/quote]

Therefore Morty had more of a point than he''s being credited with.

There''s an old saying Babes, I believe first used by Abraham Lincoln, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time."

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

I suspect 917 of the views were by you Morty....attempting to see if there was another single person that agreed with you. Here''s another one that does not. Please note I only speak for myself, a point you need to appreciate for yourself.

Good post Bly. Archie Macaulay''s influence was not only to the players under his charge but also everyone associated with the club, moving Norwich to a higher level of confidence in what their potential really was when, prior to his arrival, we were desperately close to going in the other direction. 

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC

[/quote]

Two points I would like to add

Macaulay was a great guy as well as manager,gave me my first unlaced football!

Wilsons signature is on the 59ers football that is one of the prizes in the NCISA christmas raffle (You heard it here first folks!)

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC

[/quote]

Wilsons signature is on the 59ers football that is one of the prizes in the NCISA christmas raffle (You heard it here first folks!)

[/quote]

But it''s not on my team photograph with autographs on the back!

[:''(]

OTBC

Contrary to the ''gang'' view I''ve always found Bly''s posts interesting and searching....... This is an example of that and it''s nice to see him appreciated.Good on ya Bly........ Keep ''em coming!  [Y]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

To Purple and Ricardo, many thanks for correcting and amplifying my information about the 12th man during our  1958-59 FA Cup run - Bobby Wilson (not Williamson).

Certainly no need to google or go running to the archives with you two around.

OTBC

[/quote]Ricardo almost certainly simply reached back into the recesses of his elephantine memory. Sadly the Sixties[<:o)] took too much of a toll for me to do likewise; I had to resort to the statistics pages of Canary Citizens.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Contrary to the ''gang'' view I''ve always found Bly''s posts interesting and searching....... This is an example of that and it''s nice to see him appreciated.

Good on ya Bly........ Keep ''em coming!  [Y]
[/quote]

Well now..

With Nora''s endorsement what more is there to say......

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Contrary to the ''gang'' view I''ve always found Bly''s posts interesting and searching....... This is an example of that and it''s nice to see him appreciated.Good on ya Bly........ Keep ''em coming!  [Y][/quote]

Well now..

With Nora''s endorsement what more is there to say......

[/quote]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

Wow what a chance for you to add to that collection Bly. You will be able to buy tickets on line as well.

Knows your chance  to score!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

And once again they weren''t your points were they?

Therefore?

Good old Abraham Lincoln[Y]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]In my defence, you''re a cock.[:)]

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)[/quote]

Do you deliberately post on behalf of the entire messageboard, making an assumption that no one else would find this interesting. Your blanket negative responses to any of Bly''s posts without any consideration for the content are hypocritically tedious. Some of Bly''s posts are a tad ''leftfield'' but if you deem them to be dull or him to be a troll then ignore them.

Or feel free to continue your vendetta - you just come across as a bit of an arse, that''s all - no offense..

[/quote]Ah, and you would be some no mark who I have had some disagreement with at some time in the past, who now feels the need to disagree with anything I say here now.Who the hell are you to try and tell me what to post here, Mr "very far away keyboard warrior" who has lost any moral high ground he may think he had by becoming insulting, but even feeling the need to have a go on someone elses behalf shows a high degree of lameness."Leftfield" is an understatement.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

To Purple and Ricardo, many thanks for correcting and amplifying my information about the 12th man during our  1958-59 FA Cup run - Bobby Wilson (not Williamson).

Certainly no need to google or go running to the archives with you two around.

OTBC

[/quote]Ricardo almost certainly simply reached back into the recesses of his elephantine memory. Sadly the Sixties[<:o)] took too much of a toll for me to do likewise; I had to resort to the statistics pages of Canary Citizens.[/quote]Yes PC, old Ricardo seems to have a good memory for all things NCFC. Another piece of useless info I can impart concerning Archie Macaully is that he lived in a semi detatched house on Plumstead Road. I know this because I used to deliver his morning paper. His wife was a lovely woman, she gave me half a crown for a Christmas box.Half Crowns ay! Thats 2 shillings and sixpence in old money or twelve and a half pence decimal. Boys only paid sixpence to get into the ground in those days, or ninepence for the enclosure.Happy days.

Back to 1958/59 and 21 players played for the Canaries during that season. That''s the 13 googled for your sig plus Robert Wilson (17), James Moran (16), Keith Ripley (12), Ian Williamson (10), Hunt Morgan (7), Joe Mullett (4), Peter Cleland (3), John Wilson (3).

[/quote]I suspect these are all a bit before your time Nigel. Jimmy Moran was probably the best known as he stayed in the region after his pro career ended and played for several local teams. I''m not sure if he was at Yarmouth or Lowestoft but he was certainly about for quite a few years. The thing I remember about him was that his first match was in an evening friendly game and it was billed in the Evening News that a "mystery man would be playing tonight". Needless to say plenty of us mugs turned out to see who he was.I liked Keith Ripley, he was a big guy with a tremendous shot and I never really found out why we got rid of him so quickly. The others only played bit parts in the Canary story except for Joe Mullet who became a fixture at fullback for several years.

Great post bbb, always nice to hear a bit of ncfc history

IGnore those posters who try and ruin it for you.

[quote user="ricardo"]
I suspect these are all a bit before your time Nigel. Jimmy Moran was probably the best known as he stayed in the region after his pro career ended and played for several local teams. I''m not sure if he was at Yarmouth or Lowestoft but he was certainly about for quite a few years. The thing I remember about him was that his first match was in an evening friendly game and it was billed in the Evening News that a "mystery man would be playing tonight". Needless to say plenty of us mugs turned out to see who he was.

I liked Keith Ripley, he was a big guy with a tremendous shot and I never really found out why we got rid of him so quickly. The others only played bit parts in the Canary story except for Joe Mullet who became a fixture at fullback for several years.
[/quote]

Indeed it was before my time Rickyyyyyyyyyy. But you remember it so well, in fact you remember it the way I remember the players and teams in the 60''s. Your memories exactly match what I have read myself or been told by others. If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''. Moran was then managing and coaching in local football right the was through to the 1990''s. Interestingly for this thread one of the clubs he managed was Gorleston Town.

Nobody I ever asked could ever shed any light on why Ripley was here for just three months.

Which one''s you Rickyyyyyyy.......[:)].......

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]Great post bbb, always nice to hear a bit of ncfc history IGnore those posters who try and ruin it for you.[/quote]

Now Jez, I am appreciative of your efforts on behalf of us Barclay Boys the other week, but I''m sorry to tell you that you have more chance of hitting the crossbar three times than you have of learning a bit of NCFC history from Babes.

Nutty whilst I agree it was Bly''s post that started the history lesson. OK he was like an American who repeats a Hollywood film as true history only to get found out by those who were there. Still he did start the discussion and some of us youngsters have learnt something.

Davo

Yeah you did Davo. But not from him, we learned from those who had something interesting to share. I never tire of talking about our great club with those who have something interesting to say. But I won''t be fooled any of the time by the trolls.

NN. Give it a rest. You and the rest of bly''s haters are getting a Tad boring. I have Much info for this thread for the "young''uns" but I really am finding it hard to get Involved with personal vendettas.

I don''t come on here in months, come back to have a look to find out that there are adults acting extremely childish and pathetic. How sad, I used to like reading these forums especially as a fan of another team, now what''s the point when people are putting their personal hate and vendetta''s versus somebody trying to create a good discussion. Personally I thought this was an interesting topic to pick up and besides the immaturity of what I sincerely hope are teenagers not adults, have enjoyed reading.

What is it you''d like me to give a rest to Arthur? I have no hatred for anyone either on this board or off it. What a waste of time that emotion is. Now if you have something of interest to us youngsters then why don''t you post it? You never know, you may really enjoy talking about NCFC.

Ciderkidd - I''m amazed that a Yeovil fan would enter a discussion about the history of NCFC just to accuse some of those posters of being childish. Pot and kettle doesn''t even begin to cover it! Anyway, I went to Yeovil for the cup game last season and would be interested in a Yeovil fans opinion of the game. Forgetting what happened a few days afterwards and what has happened since what was your opinion of the Norwich team and performance that night?

[quote user="morty"][quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?

(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)
[/quote]

Do you deliberately post on behalf of the entire messageboard, making an assumption that no one else would find this interesting. Your blanket negative responses to any of Bly''s posts without any consideration for the content are hypocritically tedious. Some of Bly''s posts are a tad ''leftfield'' but if you deem them to be dull or him to be a troll then ignore them.

Or feel free to continue your vendetta - you just come across as a bit of an arse, that''s all - no offense..

[/quote]

Ah, and you would be some no mark who I have had some disagreement with at some time in the past, who now feels the need to disagree with anything I say here now.

Who the hell are you to try and tell me what to post here, Mr "very far away keyboard warrior" who has lost any moral high ground he may think he had by becoming insulting, but even feeling the need to have a go on someone elses behalf shows a high degree of lameness.

"Leftfield" is an understatement.
[/quote]

Don''t be so precious, fella. I don''t remember having a major dissagreement with you in the past. I was merely pointing out the glaring hypocrisy to your initial post on this thread and incidentally the embolded part of your response above.

In fact, in terms of dissagreement, I was accused by some, of being the one that tipped Wiz over the edge, on the thread were you discussing Delia Smith''s Norwich (I think) - the one where he started his self-imposed excile! You see we have agreed in the past.. sort of! I certainly have no ''beef'' with you and do not feel the need to ''have a go at someone on someone else''s behalf. I am sorry you feel so insulted by the word ''arse''. I am in no way upset by someone I have never met calling me a ''no mark'' - my Mum is proud of me and that is all that matters!!

The only person, that I know of, on this mb that I have met in person is Nutty and Duncan Edwards due to where we sit at Carra; however this does not mean to say I will agree with everything they say in order to become part of a ''clique''. I have not been on here long enough to know what the gripe is with Bly, and. quite frankly I don''t care; I thought that the original thread was interesting before we corrupted it!! hehehe

[quote user="ricardo"]I suspect these are all a bit before your time Nigel. Jimmy Moran was probably the best known as he stayed in the region after his pro career ended and played for several local teams. I''m not sure if he was at Yarmouth or Lowestoft but he was certainly about for quite a few years. The thing I remember about him was that his first match was in an evening friendly game and it was billed in the Evening News that a "mystery man would be playing tonight". Needless to say plenty of us mugs turned out to see who he was.I liked Keith Ripley, he was a big guy with a tremendous shot and I never really found out why we got rid of him so quickly. The others only played bit parts in the Canary story except for Joe Mullet who became a fixture at fullback for several years.[/quote]

Indeed it was before my time Rickyyyyyyyyyy. But you remember it so well, in fact you remember it the way I remember the players and teams in the 60''s. Your memories exactly match what I have read myself or been told by others. If the game you remember was against Aberdeen then "The Mystery Man" played under the non de plume of ''Johnstone''. Moran was then managing and coaching in local football right the was through to the 1990''s. Interestingly for this thread one of the clubs he managed was Gorleston Town.

Nobody I ever asked could ever shed any light on why Ripley was here for just three months.

Which one''s you Rickyyyyyyy.......[:)].......

[/quote]Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.Macaully was very fond of bringing in Scottish players in those days. The previously mentioned Peter Cleland was one who didn''t quite live up to expectations as was Jim Conway, another big bustling centre forward. One of Macaully''s best buys from north of the border was Jimmy Oliver who also stayed around these parts and featured in local sides.

Yeah you did Davo. But not from him, we learned from those who had something interesting to share. I never tire of talking about our great club with those who have something interesting to say. But I won''t be fooled any of the time by the trolls.

[/quote]Here we go. The wounded hero is at it again.I''m genuinely touched to see the youngsters showing interest in what Bly says. Only by looking back to where we have come from can we fully understand where we are going .....and Bly is a very good source of this knowledge.After your humiliation during the fabled PURIST GROUP nonsense I thought you might have learnt your lesson.

[quote user="ricardo"]Thanks Nigel, I wasn''t sure who the friendly was against, for some reason I had it in my mind that it was against Leicester but when you mentioned Aberdeen it all came flooding back. I remember standing in the Barclay End that night and Moran dummied a pass into the box but his quick thinking was miles too quick for the rest of the forwards. Funny how that incident has stuck in my mind. He was a decent enough player but  if memory serves he was brought in as a replacement for the legendary Jimmy Hill so that was never going to be easy for him.[/quote]Ricardo, you''re right about the talent of Jimmy Hill (who scored a brace in my first Canary game) but he didn''t leave until the end of the 62-63 season, to waste that talent in the Everton reserve team.If anyone was brought in to replace him for the start of the next season it was another (absurdly over-used word but true in both these cases) legend. Ron Davies. Not, of course, anything like the same kind of player. If there was a replacement for Hill in terms of style it was probably Bryceland, who was already at the club. More of a midfielder than Hill and less of a goalscorer, but the same quicksilver footballing brain.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Here we go. The wounded hero is at it again.

I''m genuinely touched to see the youngsters showing interest in what Bly says. Only by looking back to where we have come from can we fully understand where we are going .....and Bly is a very good source of this knowledge.

After your humiliation during the fabled PURIST GROUP nonsense I thought you might have learnt your lesson.

[/quote]

Bly has no knowledge of our football club as has been proved over again. Yet do you Nora. You both have plenty to say but none of it will help the youngsters understand anything except the trolling of messageboards. Which that Purist Group nonsense, when you totally embarrassed the very people who you claimed had an insight in our club, was a great example of.

I think I might actually die waiting for these steamrollers arrive but I''m not surprised you coming here to try and cause havoc on a thread where folk who DO HAVE an insight into the history of our club are having a discussion.

Go on.. prove me wrong.. you and Bly join the discussion properly......