Sign in to follow this  
BlyBlyBabes

Let's see if Paul Lambert can trump Archie Macaulay!

The previous manager to get City promoted from the Third Division (1959-60) was Archie Macaulay who then led us to 4th place in the Second division the following season (1960-61):

FAWDLFAWDLFAGAPt 
1Ipswich Town4226791005515335524114645311.8259
2Sheffield United4226610815116234922104732291.5958
3Liverpool4221101187581452492175938371.5052
4Norwich City4220913705315334620561024331.3249
5Middlesbrough42181212837413624420561039541.1248
6Sunderland4217131275601254472458828361.2547
7Swansea City42181113777314434926471028471.0547
8Southampton4218816848112455735641127461.0444
9Scunthorpe United421415136964984392557930391.0843
10Charlton Athletic4216111597911236604248937491.0743

I reckon not many of us realised that Lambert had such a hard act to follow!

But records are there to be beaten, and I''m sure Archie would be delighted.

OTBC

Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I thought you liked to ignore trolls Morty :P[/quote]I make special exceptions for some.[:)]

[quote user="dotsandthingys"]Sorry Morty but there is nothing wrong with this post, which is quite interesting (apart from a certain team being top)[/quote]And there you have it in one........

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Nout wrong with this post IMHO[/quote]But Morty has already said that no one cares about it. Retract your post immediately [:@][;)]

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

The previous manager to get City promoted from the Third Division (1959-60) was Archie Macaulay who then led us to 4th place in the Second division the following season (1960-61):

FAWDLFAWDLFAGAPt 

OTBC

[/quote]

Tip top googling there Babes[Y]

Now about this Bobby Williamson - Did he play any games in the Second Division[:^)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

FAWDLFAWDLFAGAPt 

OTBC

[/quote]

Tip top googling there Babes[Y]

Now about this Bobby Williamson - Did he play any games in the Second Division[:^)]

[/quote]

Well some say education is significantly about knowing where to look plus a developed capacity to put things together in a logical framework. Google is wonderful a modern research tool  - and its use thereof not to be derided! Tut tut.

And googling doesn''t help all the time like with Bobby Williamson as you have no doubt discovered for yourself - no matter what key words one uses.

Now archives, they are far more reliable aren''t they? Unfortunately I lost my 1958-59 complete Pink Un collection when my old mum threw them away in a fit of spring cleaning. This was some time after I flew the nest and I guess she felt I had no more use of ''childish things''!!

This Bobby Williamson matter. Now if I was in Norwich I would trot down to Archant and wade though their Pink Un archives and settle the matter, but...........

I have it firmly in my mind that Bobby Williamson was a youngish Scottish halfback who was 12th man (not Jimmy Moran) for much of the cup run and played a handful of League matches that season.

Perhaps Yankee or some other from that era could confirm as to whether or not I am having a senior moment on this matter.

But wait. I wonder if Archant has an electronic archive???? I''m going to have a look. Back later.

OTBC

This Bobby Williamson matter. Now if I was in Norwich I would trot down to Archant and wade though their Pink Un archives and settle the matter, but...........

I have it firmly in my mind that Bobby Williamson was a youngish Scottish halfback who was 12th man (not Jimmy Moran) for much of the cup run and played a handful of League matches that season.

Perhaps Yankee or some other from that era could confirm as to whether or not I am having a senior moment on this matter.

But wait. I wonder if Archant has an electronic archive???? I''m going to have a look. Back later.

OTBC

[/quote]Well now. That season we had a John Ian WILLIAMSON, who was Scottish, but a winger, not a half-back, and was out of the side before the Cup run started. And we had a John Christopher WILSON, who was a Norwich-born right-back, who also lost his place before the cup run. We also, though, had a Robert Smail Whitelaw (I''m not making this up) WILSON, who was Scottish, and a half-back (get your grandparents to explain what they were). He too featured early on. Not a Bobby Williamson but a Bobby Wilson.What seems to have happened was that McCrohan (and John Wilson) played right-back at the start of the season, with Robert Wilson at right-half. Thurlow came in at right-back and McCrohan went to right-half, pushing Robert Wilson on to the sidelines.Whether Robert Wilson was 12th man (if we had such a thing) for the cup run is unclear. Once that side got settled it stayed fit and there were remarkably few changes as the season went on.

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?[/quote]This seemed like a perfectly reasonable post to me, comparing two City managers who got promotion from D3 into D2.

Think Morty was playing the man not the ball. BBB''s posts are normally a total waste of time, but this is quite interesting and a useful corrective to those who were asking yesterday if Lambert was our greatest ever manager.

Problem is, will we be happy with fourth?

Nothing wrong with this post, surely a bit of history is good for us all, either reminiscing or learning about it.

Lets hope things don''t pan out exactly the same though or it would mean the sc*m going up as Champions. 4th place would be a grand achievement still and give us something great to build on but I would swap it glad for one of those top 2 places of course.

I know some people don;t like talk of promotion at this stage of the season but for the optimistic fan it is essential. Let the cagey nervous ones worry about jinxing our cracking start to the campaign.

I think BBB is getting his Williamsons and Wilsons mixed up.The 12th man for the cup run was Bobby Wilson.Although there were no substitutes allowed in those days Wilson was the one on permanent standby in case of injury. I think most of his games were played at fullback or halfback. I can''t remember much about him other than he was a big fair haired lad.Purple Canary has the information spot on.

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?

(Pre-empting a reply of "Do you?" feel free to poke off in advance.)
[/quote]

Do you deliberately post on behalf of the entire messageboard, making an assumption that no one else would find this interesting. Your blanket negative responses to any of Bly''s posts without any consideration for the content are hypocritically tedious. Some of Bly''s posts are a tad ''leftfield'' but if you deem them to be dull or him to be a troll then ignore them.

Or feel free to continue your vendetta - you just come across as a bit of an arse, that''s all - no offense..

''you just come across as a bit of an arse, that''s all - no offense..''

No offense! Really? lol

[quote user="Jason Shackells limp Tackle"]

[quote user="morty"]Do you deliberately post things that absolutely no one gives a flying frig in a doughnut about, or is it coincidence?[/quote]

Do you deliberately post on behalf of the entire messageboard.

[/quote]That seems to be his role, doesn''t it? I''m petitioning Archant to start charging the guy for bandwidth, seeing as he regularly accounts for two-thirds of it.

It''s hard to compare Lambert with Macaulay because of the 50 years between the two but for once this was an interesting post from Bly. I did notice yesterday on Wiki that Macauley won over 46% of his 200+ games no mean feat by anyone''s standards. Then add in the 1959 cup run and you certianly have anotehr candidate for our Greatest Manager Ever.

Davo

Morty youre the only troll on this thread.

can''t a fan share a bit of history of the club?

great bit of info.

Well some say education is significantly about knowing where to look plus a developed capacity to put things together in a logical framework. Google is wonderful a modern research tool  - and its use thereof not to be derided! Tut tut.

And googling doesn''t help all the time like with Bobby Williamson as you have no doubt discovered for yourself - no matter what key words one uses.

Now archives, they are far more reliable aren''t they? Unfortunately I lost my 1958-59 complete Pink Un collection when my old mum threw them away in a fit of spring cleaning. This was some time after I flew the nest and I guess she felt I had no more use of ''childish things''!!

OTBC

[/quote]

Education is a little favourite of yours isn''t is Babes. I bet your mum told you how clever you were before she binned your Pink Uns. Us poor old Secondary Modern Types wouldn''t have a clue how to use Google. So maybe it''s a good job we don''t need to. Did you find your electronic archive? It would be pretty pointless looking under Archant I''d imagine. Or even Argent! You could try ECN (Eastern Counties Newspapers) and maybe, if you know where to look, you''d be able to go all the way back to the 90''s. Before that would be much more difficult. But as a grammar school boy you were resourceful enough to work out what to do. Ask someone who was there. A Yankee or a Ricardo. Once upon a time we were all lucky enough to be able to ask Arrdee.

But why would you need to ask? Surely you were there? That''s what always confuses me. You were there and yet your only anywhere close to being accurate recollections are what can be found on google. Otherwise one of those oldtimers comes on here and says "I think you remembered that wrong Bly". Anyway, I do hope you find this post pompous and condescending because that''s how most people find yours.

Back to 1958/59 and 21 players played for the Canaries during that season. That''s the 13 googled for your sig plus Robert Wilson (17), James Moran (16), Keith Ripley (12), Ian Williamson (10), Hunt Morgan (7), Joe Mullett (4), Peter Cleland (3), John Wilson (3).

Bobby Wilson had been our top appearance maker the previous season but lost his place to Roy McCrohan during 58/59. He never regained his place and a year or so later moved to Gillingham. Later in his career he was captain of the ill-fated Accrington Stanley when they folded in 1962. Another one of my useless but interesting stats about Bobby Wilson was that he played for the same Junior Scottish team as Duncan Forbes (But obviously not at there same time).

Keith Ripley was signed by Macaulay but played just 12 games, scoring 6 times, before Macaulay moved him on again. He had previously played for Leeds United at the same time as Jack Charlton was starting his career and played 51 games with the legendary John Charles. But my useless but interesting stat about Ripley was that he was in Peterborough''s promotion side the year Terry Bly went goal crazy.

Do Lambert and Macaulay have things in common? I reckon so. I reckon they are both great Scottish managers of Norwich City. But comparing their respective eras would not be fair on either. The Third Division, Second Division and FA Cup in 1959 are not the same as those equivalent competitions today. There game has changed beyond recognition. What if we were to win the Championship this season? Would that devalue Macauleys achievements? Of course not. Just as if we finish mid-table it won''t devalue the tremendous progress we have made under Lambert. Benchmarking the past to measure performances now is tiresome in the extreme. With this criteria Worthington was a better manager than Macaulay and even I wouldn''t go that far......

Oh sorry, I stand corrected.

Out of 923 views, 6 of you found this interesting.

Please accept my humblest apologies.

[;)]

[quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

I suspect 917 of the views were by you Morty....attempting to see if there was another single person that agreed with you. Here''s another one that does not. Please note I only speak for myself, a point you need to appreciate for yourself.

Good post Bly. Archie Macaulay''s influence was not only to the players under his charge but also everyone associated with the club, moving Norwich to a higher level of confidence in what their potential really was when, prior to his arrival, we were desperately close to going in the other direction. 

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

I suspect 917 of the views were by you Morty....attempting to see if there was another single person that agreed with you. Here''s another one that does not. Please note I only speak for myself, a point you need to appreciate for yourself.

Good post Bly. Archie Macaulay''s influence was not only to the players under his charge but also everyone associated with the club, moving Norwich to a higher level of confidence in what their potential really was when, prior to his arrival, we were desperately close to going in the other direction. 

[/quote]

Exactly so Yankee. Excellent point.

OTBC

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

It is an excellent point but the thing is......

It wasn''t your point was it[:|]

To Purple and Ricardo, many thanks for correcting and amplifying my information about the 12th man during our  1958-59 FA Cup run - Bobby Wilson (not Williamson).

Certainly no need to google or go running to the archives with you two around.

OTBC

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="BlyBlyBabes"][quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="morty"]

[;)]

[/quote]

[/quote]

OTBC

[/quote]

It is an excellent point but the thing is......

It wasn''t your point was it[:|]

[/quote]

?

Therefore?

OTBC