Sign in to follow this  
city-till-i-die

Lambert to Liverpool

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

[quote user="CanaryJames"]Old Shuck - Why won''t Liverpool go down? They''ve got one of the worst squads in the division! One good striker (who is unfit and out of form), and absolutely nothing in reserve. A pretty limited defence - Carragher and Johnson are poor for a start. Nothing much out wide. The few wingers they do have (Babel/etc) have flopped. No world class defensive midfield since they got rid of first Alonso and then Mascherano. They may not go down this year, but I firmly believe they will be relegated within 3 seasons.[/quote]

They won''t go down because they have the same sort of reverence in this country that Real Madrid have in Spain.

Sooner or later, a "rescue plan" of some sort will enable them to re-schedule their debts very favourably, they''ll also get the go-ahead to build that new stadium. They''re too "establishment" to suffer for too long, remember Heysel, well, Norwich City FC and Liverpool FC got the same punishment for that night-we lost out on Europe because of Liverpool FC, maybe I am being cynical, but I haven''t forgotten or forgiven their "wonderful" fans for that, even reading through this post, I suspect I''m not the only one. Remember when they finished out of the Champions League places and wriggled their way back into it, taking Everton out of the equation in doing so? One way or another, in whatever way you can look at it, they get looked after, and they will again. It wouldn''t surprise me one little bit to see taxpayers money heading their way sooner or later.

Playing wise, they''ll get out of it. Compared to the three players cited, their squad is mediocre, however, there are plenty more squads with mediocre players who have just that-so they will survive and they''ll come out of their self-annointed financial crisis. Cynical-yes, over-emotional-yes, ridiculous-yes; all of those. But don''t you just know they will?

Looks like their saviour may have come riding over the hill already!

Paying off debts, transfer kitty, redevelop Anfield, ticking all the boxes for them at the moment-mind you, their previous owners said the same things!

Same old Liverpool though, same old same old...

[/quote]

[quote user="Old Shuck"]

Remember when they finished out of the Champions League places and wriggled their way back into it, taking Everton out of the equation in doing so?

[/quote]No I don''t remember that, maybe you can remind me because I seem to remember Everton losing to Villareal in the qualifying stages - that year England had 5 representatives in the tournament. Afterwards, the rules were changed meaning Everton would have lost out on their place if it happened again.

You''re right and time and antipathy towards Liverpool is frying my brain!

They finished 5th I believe, and, normally, would not have qualified for the next CL, but pleaded and bleated that they should get in as holders, and were eventually given a place in the 1st Qual Round, where they had to face the might of Total Network Solutions, before then playing FBK Kaunas-so two bytes into the 3rd final qual rd really!

I think there was initially a suggestion that they should play Everton to see which English club should play Villareal in that final qual rd, hence my muddle!