Sign in to follow this  
InLambertWeTrust!

Coincidence? I think not.

Against Swansea and again today we  didnt look like winning until 2 things happened:Hoolahan went off and McNamee came on.This post isnt a criticism of Hoolahan, more a criticism of the ''diamond'' midfield. When we try and play through Wes we dont look as good as when we have McNamee on and the width that he offers us.In an ideal world the midfield (for me) would be:                  WesMcNamee    Crofts              KoreyThis gives us the option of using McNamee''s pace and width when Hoolahan doesnt quite pull it off.Thoughts welcome [:)]

It''s getting that balance isn''t it? McNamee would clearly offer more going forward than Lappin but Lappin does give good cover to his left back. 

[quote user="CT"]He''s never really had a chance starting has he?I thought Lappin was poor today.[/quote]

Were you at the game?!!!!

Lappin was immense in the first half and looked like he has gained some pace over the summer. Some really clever and nice play that worked some oppertunities. Him, Smith and Crofts were great in the first half.

And strangely it wasn''t a straight swap. Talking as someone who was sitting in the Jarrold stand - MacNamee did not play left wing, neither did Crofts or Smith. Hoolahan was pushed up front and Martin dropped to the left wing.

If you are going to play MacNamee I seriously think you have to drop Hoolahan. The reason why MacNamee was able to play the way he did was because Smith and Crofts switched to playing central allowing them to play their more natural game and to really battle their central midfielders.

Martin can play anywhere on the wings or up front and again scored from the left wing. It was pretty much a flat 4-4-2 from the moment Lappin came off.

There is no way McNamee & Hoolahan will play in the same midfield 4 whether it be flat or a diamond, Lambert knows it leaves us vulnerable, as chicken said Lambert moves Martin wide instead and pushes Hoolahan up top off of Holt. Lambert likes the solid 3 in the midfield area with the diamond, i''m not sure it would work for a full 90 mins, particularly away from home but it''s an option for periods during a match when we''re chasing a goal as the system

requires an incredible amount of defensive work from the 2 central

midfield players and leaves us very vulnerable.

McNamee has to be knocking on the door for a start soon.  Admittedly he has come on against tiring opposition but against Swansea and Barnsley he has changed the game. He is the one player we have who is capable of really turning defenders and getting them to face their own goal. This has forced two massive mistakes which have to led us winning both games.. How you incorporate him into the team I am not sure. But Lambert seems to have that covered so I''ll go with him on that one!

The change from Hooly to Mcnanee is a terrific substitution for us. It replaces one player the opposition are frightened of with someone else who they are equally afraid of and it also changes the shape of the team and the way we play. I cant think of a better way to completely change our game in one substitution. A great tactic for Lambert to use!

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]The change from Hooly to Mcnanee is a terrific substitution for us. It replaces one player the opposition are frightened of with someone else who they are equally afraid of and it also changes the shape of the team and the way we play. I cant think of a better way to completely change our game in one substitution. A great tactic for Lambert to use![/quote]

Couldn''t have put it better myself