Sign in to follow this  
Methane

BARNETT

The newcomer was marginally behind Korey in my man-of-the-match award. Barely put a foot wrong,made 90% of his headers and reads the game so well that he was rarely out of position. Another master-stroke by the clubscout?

its funny isn''t it? How some people can have differing opinions on a performance.

I didn''t particularly rate him today - thought he headed out far too much when he perhaps could''ve bought it down and played it out. I also thought he didn''t get close enough to the forwards + when he did he panicked.

All in all I think we might of just signed the black Gary Doherty on loan! Well they''re both from Luton.

Barnett had a good game today and certainly looks solid. Definitely want us to bring him in on a permanent deal if at all possible.Following on from an earlier comment, if we have indeed signed ''the black Gary Doherty'' (which is a strange comment given they''re such different players) then we''ll have done well.

Thought he had a good composed game. Maybe headed a bit too much but at the end of the day, he got rid each time and it was with a higher percentage to our own players than to the opposition so you can''t ask for much more. Definitely think we should try and get him on a permanent deal. Whitbread is probably going to be very injury prone leaving us with just Askou, Nelson and Ward as our centre backs.

I''m also really pleased with how Ward has improved and how good he''s looking now.

Will Nelson get his place back if these two keep doing as they are?

[quote user="CallsignViper"]Thought he had a good composed game. Maybe headed a bit too much but at the end of the day, he got rid each time and it was with a higher percentage to our own players than to the opposition so you can''t ask for much more. Definitely think we should try and get him on a permanent deal. Whitbread is probably going to be very injury prone leaving us with just Askou, Nelson and Ward as our centre backs.

I''m also really pleased with how Ward has improved and how good he''s looking now.

Will Nelson get his place back if these two keep doing as they are?[/quote]agreed... he headed too much, he could of chested and controlled the ball on a few occasions.

[quote user="Canaries Utd"][quote user="CallsignViper"]Thought he had a good composed game. Maybe headed a bit too much but at the end of the day, he got rid each time and it was with a higher percentage to our own players than to the opposition so you can''t ask for much more. Definitely think we should try and get him on a permanent deal. Whitbread is probably going to be very injury prone leaving us with just Askou, Nelson and Ward as our centre backs.

Will Nelson get his place back if these two keep doing as they are?[/quote]agreed... he headed too much, he could of chested and controlled the ball on a few occasions.[/quote]Completely agree on both of these points. I saw Barnett practising his headers with great fervour in the warm up, so the coaching staff probably want him to do that more. It could even be that they''ve identified a weakness when he brings the ball down and tries to play it out. However, I do think that he''s a solid defender and he''s got a bit of pace too which is much needed!

I find it hard to believe that a central defender is being criticised for heading the ball too much. While I''d love to see our defenders playing like Franz Beckenbauer, I don''t think that they have that level of skill, and I, for one, am happy to see them dealing with high balls in the manner they feel most comfortable with. Given that he''s new to the club, I think that Barnett has been a revelation; quick, strong and able to pass the ball. He and Ward look like a formidable partnership, flanked by two solid fullbacks. We should be happy, but then there would be nothing to moan about, would there?

[quote user="Beauseant"]I find it hard to believe that a central defender is being criticised for heading the ball too much. While I''d love to see our defenders playing like Franz Beckenbauer, I don''t think that they have that level of skill, and I, for one, am happy to see them dealing with high balls in the manner they feel most comfortable with. Given that he''s new to the club, I think that Barnett has been a revelation; quick, strong and able to pass the ball. He and Ward look like a formidable partnership, flanked by two solid fullbacks. We should be happy, but then there would be nothing to moan about, would there?[/quote]

I agree. If he wasnt heading the balls out he would be getting criticised for over-playing and not dealing with the danger. He is a no nonsense defender, which is exactly what we need and if you noticed his heading practice in the warm up, he has a bullet header and they were going twice as far as Elliot Ward''s. Looks very impressive!

[quote user="Beauseant"]I find it hard to believe that a central defender is being criticised for heading the ball too much. While I''d love to see our defenders playing like Franz Beckenbauer, I don''t think that they have that level of skill, and I, for one, am happy to see them dealing with high balls in the manner they feel most comfortable with. Given that he''s new to the club, I think that Barnett has been a revelation; quick, strong and able to pass the ball. He and Ward look like a formidable partnership, flanked by two solid fullbacks. We should be happy, but then there would be nothing to moan about, would there?[/quote]

I take exception to you calling me ''moaner'' Beausent. I always try and main positive (unlike some Norwich fans) however I was just offering some constructive critisicm levelled at Leon Barnett. When the ball comes into his midrift I don''t want to see him duck to header the ball I would prefer him to bring it down and play it out rather than aimlessly heading the ball forward. Is that too ''moany'' for you?

Its not about being Franz Beckenbauer, other players such as Elliot Ward do it so why not Barnett? As you say though Leon is reasonably new to the setup at CR so maybe when he''s settled in he''ll start being a little bit more composed!

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]

I take exception to you calling me ''moaner'' Beausent. I always try and main positive (unlike some Norwich fans) however I was just offering some constructive critisicm levelled at Leon Barnett. When the ball comes into his midrift I don''t want to see him duck to header the ball I would prefer him to bring it down and play it out rather than aimlessly heading the ball forward. Is that too ''moany'' for you?

Its not about being Franz Beckenbauer, other players such as Elliot Ward do it so why not Barnett? As you say though Leon is reasonably new to the setup at CR so maybe when he''s settled in he''ll start being a little bit more composed!

[/quote]

I''m sorry you read it like that, it wasn''t intended to be a dig at you in particular, it''s just that I find it annoying that the lad has come in for two games and not really put a foot wrong yet is getting stick over something so peripheral. He''s a  defender  and his primary job is to stop the other side scoring, which he''s proven himself pretty good at. If he started bringing the ball down and got caught in possession he''d get slaughtered ( quite justifiably), so he''s playing the percentages. Maybe he''ll be more prepared to do it when he feels more at home here, but I just feel it''s a bit of a carping criticism at this point in his City career.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]agreed about Crofts - he''s an absolute revelation.[/quote]From all his performances, with yesterday''s re-emphasising this, you can see why Crofts has been so popular with the fans at his previous clubs; winning several POTS awards in the process. I liked what I saw from him in the Everton friendly and he has risen in my estimation. Long may this continue for us as we need players of this calibre and passion for our club.

He is not going to be as physical as Nelson, but he has a good turn of pace and a great leap, hence winning a lot of headers. Solid and glad to see him at the back.

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]

[/quote]

I''m sorry you read it like that, it wasn''t intended to be a dig at you in particular, it''s just that I find it annoying that the lad has come in for two games and not really put a foot wrong yet is getting stick over something so peripheral. He''s a  defender  and his primary job is to stop the other side scoring, which he''s proven himself pretty good at. If he started bringing the ball down and got caught in possession he''d get slaughtered ( quite justifiably), so he''s playing the percentages. Maybe he''ll be more prepared to do it when he feels more at home here, but I just feel it''s a bit of a carping criticism at this point in his City career.

[/quote]

Yeah, exactly. Defenders are there to defend.

You often hear (or rather read) fans going on about defenders should bring the ball down and play it out of defence. Normally accompanied by words like "calm and composed". Which is all easier said than done.

I just like a safe defender. I like a defender who is going to win the ball and then either bang it away or just play it nice and simple if they''ve got the time. If they can pick out a defence splitting 40 yard ball then fair enough but for me that would be the icing on the cake but not a pre-requisite.

As it goes I thought Leon Barnett did very well yesterday and I thought he seemed like a thinking player with the way he approached the game.

I wasn''t actually complaining about his headering either. I said while he "may" have headed it out a bit too much, they went to our own players more than the opposition so what more could you ask for? Hardly a criticism.

Spot on.

Aslong as he''s stopping the opposition from scoring i''m happy to have him here, regardless of how he clears the ball.

He wasn''t quite as good as Korey or Crofts but in my opinion he was still awesome.  He won almost all his headers.  Got it clear when not using his head.  He looks like he could deal with pace.  He just looked a very good defender to me.

As for him being critisized for heading to much well that is a load of rubbish.  If he was constantly heading it about two foot in front of him straight to an attacker then fair enough but, he wasn''t.  He got some serious distance on his headers and got it well clear.  Ward passes it out, why do we need two centre backs like that?  One defender who can play out and another who just gets rid is a perfect partnership IMO.

Don''t get me wrong - he shouldn''t bring it down and play it out everytime, but then he shouldn''t try and head the ball everytime especially when it is at waist height!

I will re-iterate (i''m not sure some people on this forum are capable of taking a point on board 1st time around) I would fully expect him to improve with time. Like Ruddy and Ward did.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]All in all I think we might of just signed the black Gary Doherty on loan! [/quote]

http://www.fais.ie/fs/img/pele%20pic.jpg?