Sign in to follow this  
Sideshow Tim

Declan Rudd

I was really pi $$ ed with several City fans around me today that kept critisising Declan Rudd''s kicking. I had to turn around to the stupid old sod behind me to tell him to shut up and if that was the worst thing that he would do all afternoon then it''s not been a bad afternoon. there were several others around also moaning.

The lad is very young and it was his first Championship game.

FFS give this lad some confidence and get off of his back for such a small mistake

To be fair Rudd had a good day out but could deffinatly work on his kicking not getting much length.He looked very comfortable and Peter Czech would have been equally stranded vs that first goal.Hes young and will only get better !

this bloke sat in front of me in the jarrold decked out in norwich shirt and  scarfe and asked his mate if it was rudd or ruddy in goal..ones a gangly teenager and the others a bald bloke with a more fuller figure surely he could tell the difference ?

"I was really pi $$ ed with several City fans around me today"Don''t drink before the game then

[quote user="Excited Canary"]RN were impressed with his kicking. Saying it was one of his main talents....they were describing it as ''box to box''.[/quote]It was box to sideline a few times first half. Sorted it out second, and his kicks were straight and true.

Whenever I have seen Rudd prior to this his kicking has been excellent. And it wasn''t horrendous today. When they went straight out for a throw, they still went beyond the halfway line. I remember Ben Foster''s literally fell apart a couple years when he played at Carrow Road for Watford and who can forget Fraser''s shank against Leeds.

I thought the lad had a good game. Didn''t have much to save (only saved one didn''t he?), he looked very confident, espeically when the ball was going about in the area and he came out and claimed it. I''m not sure who I''d rather have in goal really, maybe Ruddy just because he has a little more experience. Maybe use Rudd in a few games against the lower sides in the League.

I think people were disappointed with his kicking because it is usually of a very high standard. not only is he a very long kicker - he is also usually very accurate as well. That is why he was noticeably annoyed when he kicked it straight out of play, and the more knowledgeable fans understand his distribution was not as good as usual.

Still a top talent - just remember he is 19.

Saw him play at Blackburn, his kicking wasn;''t great there but neither was Forster''s last season. He looks like he will be a great keeper in times to come

Yeah kicking was unexpectedly below par. I had a tool sitting behind berating him for not rolling it out. Regardless of the fact a) it wasn''t on as the defenders were in no space and b) no defender was even presenting himself.

Good take at the end, not so sure he should have let it bounce though... But I''m no keeper and he still made it his.

JackP, that annoyed me too. Moaners having a go and giving sarcastic cheers when Rudd did roll it out. You could see the strikers were waiting for a roll out and ready to pounce, so lets keep it safe and blast it upfield.

I thought he had a decent solid game today,he didn''t really have much to do - personally I thought his kicking was fine - got plenty of distance on it, and towards, if not directly at city players. As a previous poster has already said, couldn''t do anything about the goal. Some people need to have a moan - In many peoples eyes (not mine!) Ruddy was apparently awful until the swansea game, and Rudd was ab easy target today. I do wonder why some people bother going, they seem to want to have one of our payers to slag off no matter how well the team played!

[quote user="BlyBlyBabes"]

Joe Hart laced it out of play from his hands several times today.

OTBC

[/quote]

And absolutely gifted Blackburn their goal - but the media pal gets little criticism over that shocker does he?  Gilks had an absolute stormer though!

Rudd has a big future too - but will make some mistakes.  Was not there but again seems to have done little wrong, organises his defence with authority and had no chance with the goal.   If Ruddy is out for a while I have every confidence in his understudy. 

[quote user="pennywise "]this bloke sat in front of me in the jarrold decked out in norwich shirt and  scarfe and asked his mate if it was rudd or ruddy in goal..ones a gangly teenager and the others a bald bloke with a more fuller figure surely he could tell the difference ?[/quote]

Great isn''t it, Norwich fans, attend the games, don''t know who our goalie is!

Bet they are wondering when the Doc will get back into the team and for how much longer Ashton is going to be out as well?

[quote user="pennywise "]this bloke sat in front of me in the jarrold decked out in norwich shirt and  scarfe and asked his mate if it was rudd or ruddy in goal..ones a gangly teenager and the others a bald bloke with a more fuller figure surely he could tell the difference ?[/quote]

Great isn''t it, Norwich fans, attend the games, don''t know who our goalie is!

Bet they are wondering when the Doc will get back into the team and for how much longer Ashton is going to be out as well?

Rudd done his job yesterday but in all honesty didn''t have to do alot against a largely toothless Barnsley attack!

Some fans need something to moan about!

The best example of this is Russell Martin who whilst limited at this level is doing a reasonable job so far (apart from his crossing!) yet some fans made their mind up on him before this season and don''t rate him!

The average footy fan will always question why a keeper has booted a goal kick into touch, like with Rudd yesterday.  BUT, the reality is that he is actually instructed to aim his kicks out wide.  That''s because it keeps the ball away from the strong centre backs and we actually therefore have a better chance of keeping the ball "live" and not being headed directly back to our CB''s and putting pressure on them.  By aiming goal kicks to the opposition RBs, we possibly stand a better chance of winning the ball (maybe Lappin vs their RB for example), or even winning a throw-in just past the dugouts.  With this tactic, keepers therefore actually have a lot smaller target to aim at and the chance of missing this target and kicking it staright out is highly possible - more so at least than the average fan realises!!

His kicking wasn''t great yesterday, but I wasn''t really bothered. Normally his distribution is brilliant, so I will let him off. [:)]

Whilst he let few go out he has superb range and usually excellent distribution. Quality keeper who could play week in, week out at this level. Why do people get on his back?

We had far bigger concerns out there on Sat, mainly being a leggy Holt and something mot quite there with Wes......

However we all know what they say about class and form and to bring this bk to topic. Rudd = Class!