Sign in to follow this  
Raymond De Waard

What is our current squad worth? And who's our most valuable asset?

Looking at this from a financial point of view based on promise and potential i would have to say that Korey Smith is our most valuable asset in our side at the moment.  With the current market the way it is i reckon he would be worth a good £1.5m to a side to buy him now.

If he continues the way he has started the season and has a good, solid season at this level then i would expect his value to rise to anything around £3-3.5m.

Good, solid young players like Korey Smith do not come along very often.  There will be clubs sniffing around soon and i''m sure our club has the sense to knock back any offers for him. 

If you think back to the season when we got relegated, we didn''t have any players who were worth very much?  The ones who did went, such as Marshall, Clingan and Croft, but we didn''t get massive fee''s for any of these.

You look at our side now though!  If Chris Martin scores another 15-20 goals this season then you can expect him to have a value to us of around £2.5m.  Same with players like Surman and Hoolahan.  Even given that Holty is now the wrong side of 30, he would still command a fee in excess of £1m easily.

Not that i''m wishing for any players to leave should i add, but it''s good to see that there are players there who have a bit of value to them - which means they are quality players.

What would you value our current squad at? 

I don''t think Holt is worth that much tbh. I think Korey, Chris Martin, Hoolahan and Surman would be our most sought after players.I see the value of players a very similar concept to house value really, its more about their actual value to us as a team member as opposed to as a saleable asset. And if you sell a player you only have to buy a replacement for him. I think the old production line concept really works if you have great youth coming through.I''m hoping the board continue to back Lambert and we sell no one.

Well players are worth what people are prepared to pay for them, and that''s hard to predict.I''d guess Korey Smith or Chris Martin might be our most sale-able playing asset, but after a bad season or two they could end up released on a free. I notice Kerrea Gilbert is on a trial at Leyton Orient today - I reckon people would have paid good money for him a couple of years ago..

Could be Smith will be worth a few quid in the future but think this is all a bit premature for a player with barely a season of first team football behind him.  Sadly as pointed out in the other Smith thread there are a lot of young Prem players that get snapped up by lower prem/champ teams every year.  You look at the likes of Muamba and Larsson and still dont think that Korey compares.

It has been shown that the real money lies in the goal scorers and if both Smith and Martin were to leave next summer after successful seasons think that CM would be the one bringing in the bigger bucks.