Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Should McNamee start on Tuesday night?

He''s made an impact from the bench again, he doesn''t seem to have the same influence on a game when starting, so keep him as an option on the bench for me. It''s not as if the current side and system has been found wanting this season.

We should start with the same team that we had against Forest, as far as injuries allow, because that was our best away and overall performance.  MacNamee is great from the bench.  

All this ''start him from the sidelines to have more impact'' is a load of old balls.  He has genuine pace (the only one in the team) and is a football player that deserves to start.  If someone plays well, they should be played from the start.

[quote user="paul moy"]Surman is out for two months so it looks like McNamee will start !![/quote]

Oh dear. Where did you hear this? Well if it means Mc can start its no bad thing I guess.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]

[quote user="paul moy"]Surman is out for two months so it looks like McNamee will start !![/quote]

Oh dear. Where did you hear this? Well if it means Mc can start its no bad thing I guess.

[/quote]

Heard it on the radio, but I see there is also a thread on here about it..... [:(]

For me it depends on Chris Martins court date.

If he can''t play then a switch to 4-4-1-1 is in order imo, McNamee now being above Jackson for the start.

If Martin can play then I don''t think a 4 man midfield including McNamee and Hoolahan will be enough for 90 minutes away from home.

not for me, keep in for the last half an hour when he can make an impact.........as surman is out expect Lappin to start especially away from home. thought he was solid today and Lambert stated he was great for him today

I know McNamee won''t start in the next game, just because Lambo wants Lappin there to provide balance. In my opinion, McNamee should start. He adds a different dimension to the side. He is the most direct player in the squad, he''ll take his man and he usually beats them and puts in decent crosses. He also got back and defended when he had to. What would it say to any other players if he didn''t get a start after an impressive start to the season, whilst Lappin hasn''t really added anything so far this season? Play him.

Unfortunately I think much depends on how much Lambert wants to tinker with the formation after a win.  Obviously Macca helped us win, but purely based on my opinion Lambert won''t mess with the diamond unless he really has to.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"] It''s not as if the current side and system has been found wanting this season.[/quote]

You think?/

We all know he is good from the bench but for how well he has played so far this season and how poor Hoolahan has been he deserves a start.

[quote user="AndyJR"]All this ''start him from the sidelines to have more impact'' is a load of old balls.  He has genuine pace (the only one in the team) and is a football player that deserves to start.  If someone plays well, they should be played from the start.
[/quote]

I agree he has genuine pace.

But is it a  load of old balls?

He has the same genuine pace when he starts as when he comes off the bench - yet his impact/contribution to the game is significantly less when he starts sitting down.  Its the same with Oli Johnson and Cody Mac. 

Its as much about the defenders, who are more tired to face the fresher pace after 60 mins that from the start.   I would love to see the stats but the impression I have is that his assists, goals,  crossing and overall threat are significantly better when he does not start.

I also  think starting with a solid team (lappin far better defensively) is part of the reason we finish so strongly - let our opponents tire themselves against a more defensive line up and then we unleash the pace to supplement the attckers we have on to exploit/finish teams off.  Its working so why would we change it?   As fans perhaps we just need to trust lamberts assessment - its getting us victories and he chose surman and then lappin of MacNamee as a starter - who are any of us to quibble?

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="AndyJR"]All this ''start him from the sidelines to have more impact'' is a load of old balls.  He has genuine pace (the only one in the team) and is a football player that deserves to start.  If someone plays well, they should be played from the start. [/quote]

He has the same genuine pace when he starts as when he comes off the bench - yet his impact/contribution to the game is significantly less when he starts sitting down.  Its the same with Oli Johnson and Cody Mac. 

Its as much about the defenders, who are more tired to face the fresher pace after 60 mins that from the start.   I would love to see the stats but the impression I have is that his assists, goals,  crossing and overall threat are significantly better when he does not start.

I also  think starting with a solid team (lappin far better defensively) is part of the reason we finish so strongly - let our opponents tire themselves against a more defensive line up and then we unleash the pace to supplement the attckers we have on to exploit/finish teams off.  Its working so why would we change it?   As fans perhaps we just need to trust lamberts assessment - its getting us victories and he chose surman and then lappin of MacNamee as a starter - who are any of us to quibble?

[/quote]

Zipper, the stats would OBVIOUSLY weigh heavily in favour of him coming off the bench because he''s barely started a match.Dear oh dear, I do wonder about you people sometimes.

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]I would be hugely annoyed if he didnt. Though Im not testing Lambert.[/quote]

If Lambo is a man of his word, McNamee will start against Doncaster.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="AndyJR"]All this ''start him from the sidelines to have more impact'' is a load of old balls.  He has genuine pace (the only one in the team) and is a football player that deserves to start.  If someone plays well, they should be played from the start.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Zipper, the stats would OBVIOUSLY weigh heavily in favour of him coming off the bench because he''s barely started a match.

Dear oh dear, I do wonder about you people sometimes.
[/quote]

evidently you''re not a statistician, ever heard of a zippy new concept called percentages?

Lappin hardly missed a game last year. He then loses his place due to Surman, he starts yesterday and wasnt too bad. I think he deserves a chance, with Macca on the bench, ready to come on toward the end of the game when the oppo''s defence is tiring

The diamond has worked very well away from home so far this season (and most of last), no need to change it imo unless Wes really does continue to struggle.McNamee has looked brilliant whenever he''s came off the bench and pretty average when he''s started. Give it a few more games and then maybe go 442 with Fox in for Hoolahan and Smith out wide.

[quote user="Larry David"]The diamond has worked very well away from home so far this season (and most of last), no need to change it imo unless Wes really does continue to struggle.McNamee has looked brilliant whenever he''s came off the bench and pretty average when he''s started. Give it a few more games and then maybe go 442 with Fox in for Hoolahan and Smith out wide.[/quote]

How many games has McNamee actually started for us?

He''s made 7 starts, certainly hasn''t had half the threat in those starts that he has when coming from the bench.  The team certainly didn''t perform well in the majority those games with no balance to the side.

For me yes, he had a much better game then lappin. but i guess it depends on tomorrow and tuesdays training aswell.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]He''s made 7 starts, certainly hasn''t had half the threat in those starts that he has when coming from the bench.  The team certainly didn''t perform well in the majority those games with no balance to the side.[/quote]

Seven, as many as that!Weren''t some of those starts inconsequential friendly''s?

[quote user="Shyster"]Seven, as many as that!Weren''t some of those starts inconsequential friendly''s?[/quote]He had a run of games from just before Easter, he just doesn''t seem to be so much of a threat starting a game but most importantly the balance of the side just isn''t right if Hoolahan is starting as well. Lambert knows this because when he has brought McNamee on of late he''s pushed Hoolahan up behind Holty and moved Martin out wide.