Sign in to follow this  
Syteanric

welcome to the championshp

newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form.

we lost the game today which is always disapointing and Lambert may have made a mistake in the team selection.

Lets face facts though, we are a newly promoted side and the aim is to avoid relegation. so far we are spot on for that, and lets pick up as many points as we can as quickly as we can in order to assure safety.

im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form.

we lost the game today which is always disapointing and Lambert may have made a mistake in the team selection.

Lets face facts though, we are a newly promoted side and the aim is to avoid relegation. so far we are spot on for that, and lets pick up as many points as we can as quickly as we can in order to assure safety.

im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.[/quote]If I thought that was true I''d give up watching Norwich.

Preston is pretty much the perfect game, away so no pressure in front of our fans, wont be an intimidating atmosphere, they are on a poor run and we have almost a fit squad to choose from.  We are more than capable of a result at Deepdale.

are we playoff contenders? again the good start has maybe made one or 2 of us over excited... do Blackpool think they are champions league contenders as they sit 4th in the premiership?

this season is consolidation and im happy with the way things have gone thus far. roll on saturday and hopefully back on the winning road.

Have to say I think given the signings we''ve made, and the performances ive seen this season we''re more than capable of reaching the playoffs this season. Would be interesting to know what the expectations of the board and manager are as well.

I hope this season we float around 10th position (at least) leaving us a chance of the playoffs come the end of the season

I agree that teams like doncaster are the ones we want to be beating, but they are established in this league now, and the championship is a far more tightly contested affair than League 1 was, we will beat teams better than doncaster this season, but also lose to worse.

in my opinion we''ll be alright and my guess (could be well out) is that we will be around 6-10th for most of the season

The league is so wide open, that if we dont give it a good go this year we might be in this division for a while.

To be fair we were played of the park for the first 45, but there 3 goals, 1 was a screamer, another free kick and a scrappy really lucky goal.

We had a really good 15 minute spell in the 2nd half.

We''ll be ok, though I feel there wont be an easier league than this!

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form.

im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.[/quote]These types of comments make me laugh, we have been in a higher league than Donny for probably about a 80 years, they spend one season in a higher league than us, and suddenly they are play off contenders and we are aiming to consolidate our place in the Championship? Norwich is 10x bigger than Doncaster, and we will be fighting for a top 6 finish just like they are, and we can finish in the top 6 without a doubt!

Wouldn''t worry too much, your more than good enough to stay up as are we. We got well and truly seen to in the second half at Barnsley, even more annoying, frustrating and aggravating is that it was a Yorkshire derby, and the feeling after that kind of result is sickening, But we''re not good enough to go the entire season without a fair few losses, and we will lose badly again. But at the same time we will demolish teams too.Peaks and troughs, this is a strong league and I''m not expecting to win every game by no stretch and nor should Norwich. I''d be happy with a top 10 finish and beating Doncaster on Friday, I can''t bear another loss to another Yorkshire club.I don''t feel good [:(]

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form. we lost the game today which is always disapointing and Lambert may have made a mistake in the team selection. Lets face facts though, we are a newly promoted side and the aim is to avoid relegation. so far we are spot on for that, and lets pick up as many points as we can as quickly as we can in order to assure safety. im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.[/quote]

These types of comments make me laugh, we have been in a higher league than Donny for probably about a 80 years, they spend one season in a higher league than us, and suddenly they are play off contenders and we are aiming to consolidate our place in the Championship? Norwich is 10x bigger than Doncaster, and we will be fighting for a top 6 finish just like they are, and we can finish in the top 6 without a doubt!
[/quote]

But being a "bigger" club doesn''t mean we are a better club, or more likely to be successful.

Before last night, quite a few people were saying it was "only Doncaster" and predicting victory, but there is no "only Doncaster" about them, just as there is "only Norwich" about us. We are two well matched teams who will probably end the season very close to one another in the league table. They have some good players-Oster and Sharp-in their squad, seems Coppinger is a bit sharp as well. They''ve also got a very experienced keeper and an excellent Manager. As has been said, the worry will be losing 3-4 games in a row, and, whilst another defeat on Saturday will not be a disaster, it will put a lot of pressure on the team to win their next match. However, its winnable, and we will go there with that expectation, as will the team.

And Rusty will either score for them or get sent off!

Jas - You talk as if we have been sculling around in League 1/2 for years before finally breaking into the Championship. We are a Championship side that spent one year in League 1, if avoiding relegation is the target for Norwich City (and I do not believe that McNally would allow us to set out sights so low) then god help us.... 

With Old Shuck, I presumed that by ''side'' Jas meant our current team rather than the club.

So SoB is right to say we''re really a Championship club (in status, or ambition too...or both?) and need to be aiming for more than avoiding relegation.

But Jas is also right in that our current *team* (minus recent additions) is only proven at division 3 level, and although holding our own at the moment W3 D1 L2 we''ll have to see what happens by the end of the season (or, say, halfway through) before really knowing how we''re shaping up.

In an aside, many of the other results last night seemed quite topsy turvy on the face of it. Welcome back to the madhouse, indeed.

OTBC!

Norwich fans are too arrogant in my opinion- and I include myself in that.

We were in league one last year and as PL himself would put it ''we are  not an established championship side''.

Dont get me wrong - Norwich City FC as a CLUB is championship/premiership standard but if you look at the playing squad then put simply not yet.

The likes of Ruddy, Nelson, Holt, Martin x 2, Korey and McNamee have little to no championship experience- doesnt make them bad players, it just means they need experience.

Paul Lambert himself has never managed above league 1 level- again I think he''s a fantastic manager, he just needs the experience of higher leagues. I do think he''s done wonderfully well so far this year.

I would take a top half finish.

OTBC!

It should be a breeze for a club of our size to prosper in Division Two.....  which only underlines the depths to which our once proud club has sunk.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]It should be a breeze for a club of our size to prosper in Division Two.....  which only underlines the depths to which our once proud club has sunk.

[/quote]The fat lady isn''t even warming up yet, never mind breaking into song.Turn that frown upside down.[:)]

Can I just remind people that WBA lost 7 times last season on their way to automatic promotion, Nottingham Forest 11 on their way to a very respectable 3rd and Blackpool 14 times. Its very early doors and we wont win every game, its just not realistic.

I can see that we have started the season brightly. We are playing some nice stuff but have shown a little niaivety at times. We can only grow stronger and get better. There will be plenty more defeats for sure, but also plenty more wins. Play off contenders? for sure. Mid table safety, absolutely guaranteed.

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form. we lost the game today which is always disapointing and Lambert may have made a mistake in the team selection. Lets face facts though, we are a newly promoted side and the aim is to avoid relegation. so far we are spot on for that, and lets pick up as many points as we can as quickly as we can in order to assure safety. im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.[/quote]

These types of comments make me laugh, we have been in a higher league than Donny for probably about a 80 years, they spend one season in a higher league than us, and suddenly they are play off contenders and we are aiming to consolidate our place in the Championship? Norwich is 10x bigger than Doncaster, and we will be fighting for a top 6 finish just like they are, and we can finish in the top 6 without a doubt!
[/quote]

I''m with Ellis on this one, and wish everyone would get rid of the thoughts of just staying up

[/quote]

So what?  That was then, this is now.  They hadnt beaten us since 1930-something but they have now

Donny are a good, solid side.  They''ll give most teams in this division a run for their money especially at home and beat Hull - who were in the Prem for the last 2 seasons - last time out.  They may not be promotion contenders in the classic sense but nor were Blackpool

Dont get sucked into size of crowds or league history - it means nothing especially in the Championship.  If history is your guide look at Preston - until Arsenal did it a few years back they were the only team to go through an English top-flight season unbeaten.  Burnley, Blackpool, both ''Big'' sides not that many years ago.  And Manchester City - bigger crowds in the 3rd tier than we managed.  OK theyre near the top of the Prem now but only because they have billions being pumped in

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

[quote user="ellis206"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]newly promoted team against seasoned championship side goes down 3-1 after recent good form. we lost the game today which is always disapointing and Lambert may have made a mistake in the team selection. Lets face facts though, we are a newly promoted side and the aim is to avoid relegation. so far we are spot on for that, and lets pick up as many points as we can as quickly as we can in order to assure safety. im not worried about losing to a side who could well be playoff contenders today.. as long as we dont lose a few on the bounce.[/quote]These types of comments make me laugh, we have been in a higher league than Donny for probably about a 80 years, they spend one season in a higher league than us, and suddenly they are play off contenders and we are aiming to consolidate our place in the Championship? Norwich is 10x bigger than Doncaster, and we will be fighting for a top 6 finish just like they are, and we can finish in the top 6 without a doubt! [/quote]

So what?  That was then, this is now.  They hadnt beaten us since 1930-something but they have now

Donny are a good, solid side.  They''ll give most teams in this division a run for their money especially at home and beat Hull - who were in the Prem for the last 2 seasons - last time out.  They may not be promotion contenders in the classic sense but nor were Blackpool

Dont get sucked into size of crowds or league history - it means nothing especially in the Championship.  If history is your guide look at Preston - until Arsenal did it a few years back they were the only team to go through an English top-flight season unbeaten.  Burnley, Blackpool, both ''Big'' sides not that many years ago.  And Manchester City - bigger crowds in the 3rd tier than we managed.  OK theyre near the top of the Prem now but only because they have billions being pumped in

[/quote]The ''size'' of a a club and history has nothing to do with it when your club collapses and drops into league one. What matters is how you respond to that disaster and come out of it, the kind of manager you bring in and the quality of players.Norwich are in a great position once again, as are Leeds. You have very good players and a good manager. Unless you have practically a Premiership team like Newcastle did your really not gonna go through the season unbeaten and undefeatable. I new we were gonna get hammered by someone, it''s just a bi*ch that it was Barnsley. Just hope you fair better against Ipswich [:)] Footballs not just about walking around with a big smile on your face, it''s about feeling like sh*t too, the two go hand in hand.

Donny will be the most likely to do a Blackpool this year - be in the play-offs come season end and although probably not going all the way like Blackpool will be in the play-offs. 

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]are we playoff contenders? again the good start has maybe made one or 2 of us over excited... do Blackpool think they are champions league contenders as they sit 4th in the premiership?

this season is consolidation and im happy with the way things have gone thus far. roll on saturday and hopefully back on the winning road.[/quote]But did Blackpool think they were play-off contenders, let alone expecting to be promoted last season?

Binner coming to join reasoned debate..

The thing is with Norwich (Just like Ipswich) is the fans remember the glory days…of what happened ten years back etc…The reality is like, Like Ipswich, Norwich will probably fall short of the play-offs…

There is the same talk about what Blackpool did last season on our boards as well…But you need a lot of luck with your signings and to be excellent in the loan market…Holloway was superb with this last season…Adam was a bargain at 500k and his loan signings (Campbell and Coleman to name 2) were superb…

Having said that, the league is very open this season. Only the teams who invested heavily are likely to "run away" with it….QPR were superb last night and Cardiff you would have to expect to be there as well (although a lot of that depends on Bellamy staying fit) and I''d expect Middlesbrough to certainly get going eventually...But it''s a very competitive division which will be decided by small margins…

I cant believe how disappointed you lot are about losing to Doncaster. They are a very good team and will certainly be in and around the play-offs…Norwich have no divine right to be beating sides like that...

Norwich are in a great position once again,Eh?We are back in Division Two where we spent many years in the wilderness before Arthur South and Robert Chase made us a force worth reckoning with.....Playing at this level might be ''great'' for the likes of Barnsley and Doncaster.... but it is a retrograde step for NCFC.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]Norwich are in a great position once again,Eh?We are back in Division Two where we spent many years in the wilderness before Arthur South and Robert Chase made us a force worth reckoning with.....Playing at this level might be ''great'' for the likes of Barnsley and Doncaster.... but it is a retrograde step for NCFC.[/quote]Times change, deal with it.[:)]