Sign in to follow this  
|BA

How can so many people

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]The point of this thread is basically so people can say "I''m a proper fan, you''re not", isn''t it?

I''ll have a sing and a shout at games, but so what if some people prefer not to?
[/quote]

So how do you differentiate between a "supporter" and a "spectator/nuetral" at football matches?  Getting behind your team can only be a positive thing and creates the kind of vibrant atmosphere i`m sure 99% of attendees love.  Sitting with your arms folded all game can only be a negative- and as i`ve already said, just imagine if everyone did it....?  Unfortunately there is definately a slightly strange mentality taking hold whereby people love a great atmosphere at a game, but have this selfish expectation that others will provide it for them.

[/quote]

Since you ask, I would differentiate them according to the individual''s motivation for being there.

As regards "imagining if everyone did it", well, it isn''t the case, so why worry about it? Some will sing, others won''t.  Obviously from one point of view, it would be amazing if every one of the 25k sang their hearts out for the full ninety, but it just isn''t gonna happen, just like it doesn''t happen at any other ground.
[/quote]

I`m really not sure i can fathom why someone who regards themselves as a "supporter" would go to games but behave like a nuetral- particularly if they prefer a vibrant atmosphere.  Very strange.  As for "it isn`t the case" that nobody gets behind the team, true, but then footy boards are full of threads like this bemoaning an increasing lack of atmosphere at games, so if it isn`t the case now it certainly seems to be going that way.  I know from experience that making a bit of noise in the South stand is often frowned upon.

So i`ll lay it on the line- supporters (clue`s in the word) who get behind the team and encourage then to victory are absolutely, 100%, without question better fans than those who choose to sit with their arms folded whilst enjoying the atmosphere created by the efforts of others, a., because the players and manager appreciate it and b., because they are the only people preventing our game becoming a sterile, soulless spectacle about as thrilling as tiddlywinks. 

And i bet when the atmosphere finally dies completely, the first to complain will be those who sit there quietly expecting others to create it for them....

[/quote]

Once again, spot on.

So can we go back to the days of 16,000, because sure as hell we didn''t "fans" like you requiring every member of the crowd to be rated on a decibel scale.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]So i`ll lay it on the line- supporters (clue`s in the word) who get behind the team and encourage then to victory are absolutely, 100%, without question better fans than those who choose to sit with their arms folded whilst enjoying the atmosphere created by the efforts of others.....[/quote]Yep! Those fans who blank the club when we''re losing and getting relegated but come back a whoopin'' an a'' hollerin'' when we start winning again, they''re the true fans bless ''em! Where would we be without them? [:S]

Okay so, because I go to a Norwich game, as a Norwich fan, wanting Norwich to win, but don''t stand up and sing, I therefore am just a spectator and neutral am I Mr Carrow?  Do you know what neutral means?  It means someone goes to a game and dosn''t care who wins.  I wan''t Norwich to win so how can I be neutral?

And how can people say that they want it to go back to 16,000 fans every game because we would get 16,00 hardcores!?  If all the people who didn''t sing didn''t go then it wouldn''t be 16,000, it would be more like 4,000.

Also when you say what if everyone had my attitude? Well not everyone does have my attitude so why worry!?!?

Mr Carrow, I am a Norwich fan and I support Norwich whether you like it or not.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]

[quote user="Fr. Chewy Louie"]The point of this thread is basically so people can say "I''m a proper fan, you''re not", isn''t it?

I''ll have a sing and a shout at games, but so what if some people prefer not to?
[/quote]

So how do you differentiate between a "supporter" and a "spectator/nuetral" at football matches?  Getting behind your team can only be a positive thing and creates the kind of vibrant atmosphere i`m sure 99% of attendees love.  Sitting with your arms folded all game can only be a negative- and as i`ve already said, just imagine if everyone did it....?  Unfortunately there is definately a slightly strange mentality taking hold whereby people love a great atmosphere at a game, but have this selfish expectation that others will provide it for them.

[/quote]

The way you think that standing up and singing is doing a sort of job for those at the other end really does make me laugh!

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="Mr.Carrow"]So i`ll lay it on the line- supporters (clue`s in the word) who get behind the team and encourage then to victory are absolutely, 100%, without question better fans than those who choose to sit with their arms folded whilst enjoying the atmosphere created by the efforts of others.....[/quote]Yep! Those fans who blank the club when we''re losing and getting relegated but come back a whoopin'' an a'' hollerin'' when we start winning again, they''re the true fans bless ''em! Where would we be without them? [:S][/quote]

I agree.  Can`t say i know any fans who "blanked" the club though.....

I do however know that fools such as yourself would have happy-clapped the previous board down to non-league level because you couldn`t face up to the obvious faults within the club.  Thank goodness Bowkett had the guts to speak out against the flock and Delia had the sense to change direction.

[quote user="Boyo"]

Okay so, because I go to a Norwich game, as a Norwich fan, wanting Norwich to win, but don''t stand up and sing, I therefore am just a spectator and neutral am I Mr Carrow?  Do you know what neutral means?  It means someone goes to a game and dosn''t care who wins.  I wan''t Norwich to win so how can I be neutral?

And how can people say that they want it to go back to 16,000 fans every game because we would get 16,00 hardcores!?  If all the people who didn''t sing didn''t go then it wouldn''t be 16,000, it would be more like 4,000.

Also when you say what if everyone had my attitude? Well not everyone does have my attitude so why worry!?!?

[/quote]

Haven`t posted anything about "standing up and singing" Boyo, it`s possible to back your team whilst sitting down as i regularly do in the South, much to the disapproval of some people around me for some really weird reason.  Are your team more or less likely to win if you get behind them, rather than sitting with your arms folded?  Why not just do it, as you`ve already said you much prefer a loud atmosphere?

I think the 16k thing was tongue-in-cheek.

More and more people are developing your attitude Boyo, to the extent that some clubs are even introducing singing sections to encourage atmosphere.  The more acceptable it becomes, the more people will take the cop-out option of expecting others to create a good atmosphere for them to enjoy and the more dull and sterile the game will become.

Earlier in the thread you stated you "go to watch Norwich"- i think the choice of words says alot....

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Thank goodness Bowkett had the guts to speak out against the flock and Delia had the sense to change direction.[/quote]You mean.....it was Bowkett..... and not all those accountancy lessons you gave us.....that changed things?

Wow!....who''d have thunk it?

BTW, what exactly did he say "against the flock"?

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"]Thank goodness Bowkett had the guts to speak out against the flock and Delia had the sense to change direction.[/quote]You mean.....it was Bowkett..... and not all those accountancy lessons you gave us.....that changed things?

[/quote]

Yep, it was Bowkett, but i don`t think he`d have come out with his criticisms if he didn`t think he had a fair bit of backing- just as high-profile critics of Chase didn`t stick their heads above the parapet until the fan unrest started.

Did you and your little back-slapping gang support his open letter when it was published LIU?  Because it read very similar to posts on here you lot had branded "anti-club"......

firstly im not really surprised that this thread hasnt died down yet.secondly i honestly believe it is not an "im a better fan than you" thread......What it should be and most probably is however is an airing of two differing personalities. I for one cannot understand the mentality of someone who goes to watch football and not make any noise....its like going to church and not singing hymns in my eyes. I do however accept that other people dont feel the same way as myself, and that of course there are parts of the ground where people prefer not to make noise.  One thing that does drive me mad though is people moving into the small areas of the ground that DO actually create an atmosphere and then dont contribute to it....i mean there is about 85% of Carrow Road where you can sit and be quiet so why come into areas such as the lower barclay if you dont want to sing/dont want to hear foul language/dont want to have to stand up every time an attack is mounted. Common sense really. I mean when i eventually have a son, i wouldnt dream of taking him in any "hardcore" section of a ground until he was old enough. Family enclosures and family orientated areas of the ground are for that very purpose!Having travelled in South America and watched some football out there, the passion shown by fans was unbelievable.  I still wish 25k people at Carrow Road would jump around all game singing but i realise that us English are far too reserved for some tomfoolery.

[quote user="lappinitup"]

[/quote]

Always good to go back to the source and remind ourselves what Bowkett actually did say in the open letter:

"we have been dissatisfied with the executive management of the club for a number of years"

"Sadly, our advice has been dismissed the majority of the time."

"To the board''s continuing shame you categorically refused to meet your own shareholders to discuss the proposals"

"good intent is not the only skill required to manage an enterprise: skill, leadership, vision and empathy with all stakeholders are essential. The board does not have these attributes"

"The mistakes during your stewardship are legion and well documented in correspondence and internet postings throughout the county and beyond."

So, we can see that Bowkett himself directly, and specifically mentioned internet postings in the open letter, and we may assume he had the Pinkun forum in mind.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Norwich fans are and always have been ridiculously reserved. Considering there is 25, 000 fans at carrow road every week the atmosphere is embarrasing. Thank god for the few hundred in the barclay and snake pit who actually get behind the team. Main reason i gave up my season ticket is the match day experience at carrow road is not what football is about. Unless of course you''re a pensioner with a blanket keeping your lap warm in the city stand, or a family enjoying a picnic in the jarrold.[/quote]

How can you call yourself a "Norwich Fan" if you''ve given up your season ticket because of the match day experience at carrow road? To me that is a very pointless excuse. If you are a Norwich fan with a season ticket, you should enjoy the day however it is, win or lose!!!!!

How can you call yourself a "Norwich Fan" if you''ve given up your season ticket because of the match day experience at carrow road?

If you don''t know any better then you cannot understand such thinking.  The jingoistic slop dished up at Carrow Road these days is a mere shadow of what the ''matchday experience'' was... and still could be. The club''s roots are infected and sooner or later it will die.I feel sorry for those on here who think that what they are getting for their money under Smith is so wonderful.  Basically you haven''t got a clue.

[quote user="Mr.Carrow"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]

Haven`t posted anything about "standing up and singing" Boyo, it`s possible to back your team whilst sitting down as i regularly do in the South, much to the disapproval of some people around me for some really weird reason.  Are your team more or less likely to win if you get behind them, rather than sitting with your arms folded?  Why not just do it, as you`ve already said you much prefer a loud atmosphere?

I think the 16k thing was tongue-in-cheek.

More and more people are developing your attitude Boyo, to the extent that some clubs are even introducing singing sections to encourage atmosphere.  The more acceptable it becomes, the more people will take the cop-out option of expecting others to create a good atmosphere for them to enjoy and the more dull and sterile the game will become.

Earlier in the thread you stated you "go to watch Norwich"- i think the choice of words says alot....

[/quote]

So your still trying to say that I am not a fan?  So everyone who sits in the main stand is not a fan?  What about the riverend?

I am a Norwich fan.

Do those words hurt you?