Sign in to follow this  
|BA

How can so many people

[quote user="fearofambition"] Really? I''d consider a fan who sings and gets behind the team far superior to a supporter who sits mute with arms crossed for 90 mins. And i''m sure the players would agree. Unfortunately 95% of fans who attend carra rud fall into the latter category of ''supporter''[/quote]Frankly I think anyone who rattles on about being a "superior" or "bigger" or "more loyal" fan frankly needs to get a life and realise that people get different types of enjoyment from a football match.I havent lived in the Norwich area for about 10 years so took the chance to get a season ticket and enjoy watching Norwich with my dad. Call him an old fart ( he probably is ) but he wants to enjoy the match because as he rightly said, i paid for my seat, not standing room.Each to thier own to be honest.I don''t judge anyone on what they wish to do at a match ( obviously unless its plain illegal / racist / retarded etc etc ) and dont feel that anyones enjoyment should be compromised because they are not "proper fans"I guess thats why we have a family area and the Snakepit.If anything, whine at the other Barcley / Snakepit guys cos you lot are not making enough noise and even today were silent when we needed a boost in the last 10 mins of the first half.I was silent the entire time, you lapsed sunshine and let your team down ;)

I was trying to explain this atmosphere thing to a few yanks down the pub last night.First thing i said was we get very large attendances since there is not another side in the area to support "live".I also pointed out that we are a very middle class family orientated fan base (no bad thing since we arent considered scum by anyone [even half the ipswich fan base :P]).One thing i would point out however is that we have a large number of fans from all over.  The capital canaries, northern canaries and the Yarmouth lot tend to make a lot of noise......now im sure a lot of the Norwich lot do too but i have yet to hear the kind of noise and passion at Carrow Road that you can generally hear at away games down in London.I personally think its sad that people seem to link showing passion and singing to some form of vocal hooliganism :(I mean you dont go to a rock concert and sit down......As for people on their blackberries etc its a very sad indication of what is happening to football....just watch a premier league game and the planks spending all game trying to get on tv rather than getting behind their side.

I thoroughly expect to get blasted by Norwich fans for previous statement but it always rang true to my ears.  A bit too middle class perhaps.  Or perhaps its that the likes of city fans from cities with bigger sides have had so much piss ripped out of them thir whole lives that their passion is that bit more.Pointless thread anyway by the way but i for one would prefer 14000 singing their lungs out than 25000 zombies. In terms of atmosphere im sure the players would agree with that sentiment too.You are not a hooligan if you sing. So show some passion.

[quote user="fearofambition"]Norwich fans are and always have been ridiculously reserved. Considering there is 25, 000 fans at carrow road every week the atmosphere is embarrasing. Thank god for the few hundred in the barclay and snake pit who actually get behind the team. Main reason i gave up my season ticket is the match day experience at carrow road is not what football is about. Unless of course you''re a pensioner with a blanket keeping your lap warm in the city stand, or a family enjoying a picnic in the jarrold.[/quote]So you gave up your season ticket to watch football because the crowd are too quiet?  What a strange decision.I would be interested to know how much noise our fans made when Bad Bob Chase was pulling in gates of 13,000.  Louder, or quieter?

We are definitely quieter than most clubs who get 15000+ along with Ipswich, Watford and Saints. Doubt that and I would suggest you sit in a neutral area of more grounds. The only people who think Carrow Road is noisy are those that sit in the Lower B or the Pit. Try sitting elsewhere and see how poor it is.

Doesn''t make us ''bad'' fans ....just quiet

IBA,

With respect, thats just not the case.

Iswich fans have been going on about lack of atmosphere at PR for ages now.

Neither Watford or Saints are exactly hotbeds of passion at every game, and nor is anywhere else.

Fans are pretty much the same everywhere.

Sometimes noisy sometimes not.

[quote user="|BA"]make so little noise?

If loudies like yourself were at the game instead of starting yawn threads on here (I presume you wern''t at the game although you could of typed this on your phone?) then maybe the atmosphere would be better!

Urban myths coming out again!

The crowd will respond to what the teams doing and that has always been the case even in the so called good ole days where some fans seem to think that all 4 stands were constantly rocking which I can tell you as someone who was around then, it wasn''t like that!

In yesterdays game when the sun came out the tempo of the game dropped and Norwich more than Barnsley stopped playing for a while. Sunny games at Carrow Road mean that the Barclay is looking directly into the sun which always tend to kill the atmosphee This is football games a Carrow Road are normaly better under lights or on a cold Saturday afternoonin winter!

Also with no disrespect to Barnsley who are a good club, a home game against them in early September with the sun beating down isn''t going to set the pulses going. 

As for all the Northern clubs supposedly being more passionate, what drivel. I remember going to Newcastle in the Premiership who are universally known for having very passionate fans yet St James Park was like a morgue. Probably the same as Barnsley are for us, Newcastle playing Norwich at home normally won''t get the crowd going!

For the record yesterday, the Barclay and Snakepit made some good noise at times but mostly it was a bit quiet at times!   

I agree with most on here that all clubs have quiet and noisy spells both during individual matches and at different stages of the season.  When Carrow gets going properly e.g. Brentford and Leeds last year, the atmosphere can be excellent.  My biggest concern is the lack of variety of songs sung now e.g. PaulLambertsgreenandyellowarmy or yellowarmyyellowarmyyellowarmy and OTBC all sung at double speed.  

After Ruddy saved the penalty vs Swansea the atmosphere was buzzing. Also for Forest away the atmosphere and noise made was very good, best atmosphere for an away game since a derby i''d say.

Dreamteam mate. I wouldn''t waste your typing fingers on the OP.(Oop thats what I''m doing!) He''s a total... I noticed he made his post in the early part of the second half. Clever bloke - chanting his head off making loads of noise and yet typing at the same time. Women multi task don''t they?

If you ask the yella away support they will confirm that even the big clubs have quiet support either in parts of a game or even for the entire game and yes if watching a game on TV the sound can be manipulated.

Unfortunately the sound pick up for our games is nearer the away support.

I will just point out that the Lower N&P struggle with noise to the same extent my Great Auntie does, and she''s dead.Bought a season ticket in there  (Area PL row A) and me and my 3 mates sat there today. Whenever we joined in with anything about six or seven people would turn their heads as if to say "What''s all the shouting about?". It''s unfortunate, it''s almost as if being at the football is a chore for some of them! But i purchased my season ticket there so what position am i in to complain [:D]

Surely the amount of noise during a game reflects what we are seeing on the pitch? I am pretty noisy - even though I am one of the "old farts" who sit in the N&P Upper - but yesterday there wasn''t a lot to cheer about until the own goal.

I agree we are pretty noisy away - but away fans usually are!

I can''t see the point of trying to make out that the Barclay and Snakepit fans are the only ones who sing - we can''t always hear you down at the River End - so I assume you can''t always hear us. And as for suggesting that middle class people don''t make a noise!!! Have you ever been to a Rugby match somewhere like Bath?

Believe me the noise levels will ratchet up as the season continues - just like last year.

Perhaps it is quieter now than it was 10 years ago, certainly that seems symptomatic of football as a whole. But I often wonder about the ones who lambast the crowds we have these days. Are they being as truthful as they make out with their claims of regular attendance back then. I can tell you however that 24 doesn''t go into 16. And unless all those 8 are consisting of noise-cancelling vacuum cleaners, I can''t really fathom how the numbers add up.

I went with my Step Brother to Ipswich at home to Forest last season and I clocked it as being 40 minutes before they broke out a song. We''re no worse than other fans.

[quote user="fearofambition"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Boyo"]

When people talk about there own fans like this it quite annoys me.  People in the Barclay and Snake Pit think they are absolutely great fans because they make the most amount of noise (you don''t even make that much noise and most of the time you can''t really be heard at the other end of the ground).  But most of those fans are nothing compared to some of the old people they all laugh at, who sit in the river end or the main stand, who have been going for a lot more years than them and have been to a lot more games.

Just because someone likes to sign their heart out and another person dosn''t want to, dosn''t make them a far superior fan.

[/quote]

Excellent post.

[/quote] Really? I''d consider a fan who sings and gets behind the team far superior to a supporter who sits mute with arms crossed for 90 mins. And i''m sure the players would agree. Unfortunately 95% of fans who attend carra rud fall into the latter category of ''supporter''[/quote]

So your saying the side closest to the away fans in the Barclay and the Snake Pit are the only supporters because, they are the only fans at the ground who sing throught the whole game.

I sit (yes sit) in the Aviva Community Stand.  I go to every home game and yes I often sit with my arms folded, and I am a Norwich fan.  I jump up and down wildly when we score.  Why am I not a good supporter?  Because I don''t stand up and sing?  Bit of a weak statement that.

And there is a man I know who sits in the main stand who goes to every single home and away game.  In his lifetime he has been to over 2,000 home games and 1,000 away games.  So how is someone who sits in the Barclay block E, who has been going for say 20 years, a far superior fan to the guy I know?

[quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Boyo"]

When people talk about there own fans like this it quite annoys me.  People in the Barclay and Snake Pit think they are absolutely great fans because they make the most amount of noise (you don''t even make that much noise and most of the time you can''t really be heard at the other end of the ground).  But most of those fans are nothing compared to some of the old people they all laugh at, who sit in the river end or the main stand, who have been going for a lot more years than them and have been to a lot more games.

Just because someone likes to sign their heart out and another person dosn''t want to, dosn''t make them a far superior fan.

[/quote]

Excellent post.

[/quote]

I wasn''t sure whether you were being sarcastic at first or not but after your other posts on this thread I think you are on my side???

Atmosphere isn''t helped when so many families choose to sit in lower barclay. Hard work carrying songs past e block in there sometimes. In my opinion if you dont want to sing dont sit in the barclay or snakepit!! sure there is plenty of people who would sing but who sit in jarrold or whatever, need them to get in barclay and the families to shift. nothing against families just shouldnt be in barclay.

"I mean you dont go to a rock concert and sit down......"Nor would you go to a football match and expect to join in the game

" In his lifetime he has been to over 2,000 home games" absolute twaddle !With a very rough average of 25 home games a season it would take him 80 years to achieve that total. Even were he to have started when he was a toddler there were very few games during the war.Posting up nonsense doesn''t help the debate ... or yourself.

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="fearofambition"][quote user="Nexus_Canary"][quote user="Boyo"]

[/quote]Excellent post.[/quote] Really? I''d consider a fan who sings and gets behind the team far superior to a supporter who sits mute with arms crossed for 90 mins. And i''m sure the players would agree. Unfortunately 95% of fans who attend carra rud fall into the latter category of ''supporter''[/quote]

So your saying the side closest to the away fans in the Barclay and the Snake Pit are the only supporters because, they are the only fans at the ground who sing throught the whole game.

I sit (yes sit) in the Aviva Community Stand.  I go to every home game and yes I often sit with my arms folded, and I am a Norwich fan.  I jump up and down wildly when we score.  Why am I not a good supporter?  Because I don''t stand up and sing?  Bit of a weak statement that.

And there is a man I know who sits in the main stand who goes to every single home and away game.  In his lifetime he has been to over 2,000 home games and 1,000 away games.  So how is someone who sits in the Barclay block E, who has been going for say 20 years, a far superior fan to the guy I know?

[/quote]Yeah but, just for a change, you could try unfolding your arms and making some noise. If you''re willing to do it when we score, why not during?[8] You only sing when you''re winning! [8]I personally feel vocal support definately urges the players to move forward, pass a bit quicker and get going - so i kindly request others to attempt to make a little noise; after their tea and scones of course.

I can only assume that those of you who think Carrow Road is overly quiet don''t get to many away games.

Obviously we could be far better, and there''s certain sets of fans who make far more noise than us, but even accounting for our good attendances, there''s plenty of far quieter grounds around than our''s.

Saying that all sets of fans are the same is rubbish though. Some make excellent noise, some are quiet. City fall somewhere in the middle.

Man Utd away fans make a lot of noise though. The quiet at Old Trafford is mostly down to corporate visitors and the like, i''d imagine. It''s the same at a lot of the bigger clubs in England. Chelsea and Arsenal, namely.

[quote user=""]Man Utd away fans make a lot of noise though. The quiet at Old Trafford is mostly down to corporate visitors and the like, i''d imagine. It''s the same at a lot of the bigger clubs in England. Chelsea and Arsenal, namely.[/quote]

The reason why Man U, Chelsea etc are louder away is due to 1 thing. A hell of a lot of their away following will not be travelling from Manchester etc, but from where the game is being played. Glory hunters. It is their first game and want to look great fans, when theyre not. I remember a NCFC vs Arsenal u18 game a few years back, an Arsenal ''fan''was shouting abuse and going wild when they scored, while chanting all game, a  normal fan wouldnt usually do this at a u18 game! We all laughed at him!

Lets be avin you  !!DS ridiculed when she asked for more supportFootball is supposedly about passion and excitement.I dont understand people who just go and watch. Supporting is about being engaged and showing your support for the team.  I for one feel that making people sit down has had a massively detrimental effect on support.  It is my belief it was nosier but has never been intimidating for the opposition.I do have to say that though that for the number of supporters I think Carrow Road is quieter than equivalent sized grounds.

[quote user="ryan1992"]

[quote user=""]Man Utd away fans make a lot of noise though. The quiet at Old Trafford is mostly down to corporate visitors and the like, i''d imagine. It''s the same at a lot of the bigger clubs in England. Chelsea and Arsenal, namely.[/quote]

The reason why Man U, Chelsea etc are louder away is due to 1 thing. A hell of a lot of their away following will not be travelling from Manchester etc, but from where the game is being played. Glory hunters. It is their first game and want to look great fans, when theyre not. I remember a NCFC vs Arsenal u18 game a few years back, an Arsenal ''fan''was shouting abuse and going wild when they scored, while chanting all game, a  normal fan wouldnt usually do this at a u18 game! We all laughed at him!

[/quote]Firstly Man Utd''s away support is by far the best in the country. Not even debatable. I have to stick up for their away fans cos I have respect for them. At home games its full of  glory hunters yes but you cant forget they have a huge following in Manchester. More Man Utd fans in Manchester than Man City fans. Your reasoning is laughable, you say they have 3-7,000 fans attending their first game every other week looking to seem great fans? Don''t be daft lad. Their away support is basically just all men and all from Manchester. Their home support is dire and filled with glory hunters but their away support is top notch and that cannot be questioned.

[quote user="the king"][quote user="ryan1992"]

[/quote]Firstly Man Utd''s away support is by far the best in the country. Not even debatable. I have to stick up for their away fans cos I have respect for them. At home games its full of  glory hunters yes but you cant forget they have a huge following in Manchester. More Man Utd fans in Manchester than Man City fans. Your reasoning is laughable, you say they have 3-7,000 fans attending their first game every other week looking to seem great fans? Don''t be daft lad. Their away support is basically just all men and all from Manchester. Their home support is dire and filled with glory hunters but their away support is top notch and that cannot be questioned.[/quote]

I wouldn''t say they''re the best, but they''re very good.

Spot on with the rest of it though.

I can see both sides. I loathe the "I sing loudly all game and am therefore a bigger fan than you brigade". Your passion for your team can manifest itself in many different ways.

The fervent support can indeed help the team on the pitch and the lack of support can certainly have a neagtive impact on the field.

I like to join in with singing and banter when I''m home or away, but I will do it on my terms, not because I think I should or the bloke on row G is waving his arms at me in an attempt to get me and all around me to join in his song, whilst simultaneously stroking his ego and making him feel like he''s important.

This doesn''t make me less of a fan, or the guy next to me who isn''t making any noise, less of a fan. Nor does it make the guy standing up all game with his arms in the air baiting the away fans and singing all game more of a fan.

I enjoy the game, I am a bundle of nervous energy in anticipation for the game. I notice peoples runs, off the ball work, intricate or subtle formation changes etc etc. You don''t often get the chance to do this if you watch a game on TV.

As an exile from our fair City who works on Saturdays, I only have a chance to see a few away games and 2 or 3 home games a season. I enjoy every second of the game, and the build up, and the aftermath. My fervency as a fan is through my inner passion, the ability for the right or wrong result to affect my mood all day (ask Mrs Funster), and the amount I defend my team against a myriad of local supporters wherever I live at the time. I have done so since the age of 8.

I don''t look at other fans and think they are more or less of a fan than I do depending on their attendance or decibel level at games. They are fellow supporters.

I will however say that people who twitter at games via IPhones and Blackberrys, whilst invaluable to exiles etc on this and other sites, just miss so much of the game, it really leaves me cold as to why. They seem to get their buzz from being the first to twitter the score or scorer or news. I don''t get it. Nothing''s more important than the game itself surely.

One question i would have for the quiet majority at CR (and those who have admitted being quiet at games on this thread), is whether you prefer a vibrant, passionate, supportive atmosphere at matches or a quiet library-like atmosphere?  If it`s the latter, fair enough, if it`s the former- how about you help create the atmosphere you enjoy, rather than expecting others to do it for you?