Sign in to follow this  
scotty is here LOL

How the Hell is korey not pick for U21's?

"He is brilliant against championship team, but would he be ready for an extra step up so quick?"

You are insane if you think that U21 internationals are in anyway close in standard to competitive championship games.

Keep him away from that mickey mouse football and let him play for those who pay his wages and those who developed him as a footballer.

[quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="GJP"]In my opinion Korey is a little bit short of what they''d be looking at for the U21''s. If you were to compare him to someone like Jordan Henderson (who can play central or right side of midfield) you can see that Korey isn''t quite at that level yet. Henderson can hold his own in the Premier League and although Korey always works very hard, he doesn''t always have a strong influence on the way the game is going.[/quote]

How you can say that absolutely baffles me!  I''m not going to write about all his talents because people have already done so but he really is excellent.

I take it you weren''t there on Saturday?  I know it was only Barnsley but he was an absoulte country mile ahead of everyone on the park, including Norwich players.  He is just getting better every game and we are not the same team without him.

I agree though that the longer his name is kept quiet the better.  Look at Connor Wickham, Ipswich flash his name about and he gets into England U18''s or whatever and all of a sudden Arsenal and Tottenham apparently put in a bid.  He won''t be there for anymore time than two seasons at the absolute max.

[/quote]

Which bit of that baffles you?

It was probably Korey''s best game on Saturday and he did play really well but at the same time he didn''t do anything spectacular. He played with a lot of energy (as always) but this time his work on the ball was better than usual. A few nice little bits of control and skill in the early stages really pleased the crowd. He had a good game in an average game full of average performances from individuals.

He does a great job for us but I don''t believe at this moment that his all round game is quite there, not if you want to be talking about the U21''s and getting ahead of some lads that play Premier League football.

As with my earlier post, if you to compare him to Jordan Henderson (who plays in similar positions) you would have to say that Henderson has got a bit more going for him and looks more like the finised article.

[/quote]

The bit where you say he dosn''t have a strong influence on the game.  We are not the same team without him.

[quote user="I am a Banana"]He is brilliant against championship team, but would he be ready for an extra step up so quick?[/quote]Championship >>>> England U21s.Korey Smith would own any midfield at U21 level. 

Perhaps it''s because he''s played a total of 5 games in the 2nd tier whilst the midfielders selected are regulars in the Premier League?

Not a chance Smith is at the same level as Henderson, Cleverley, Wilshire, Muamba, or Mancienne?

....yet

I watched the U21s last week at Colchester and Korey Smith is a mile off this level.

Many of these players are pretty much regulars in Prem or Championship sides, while Korey has been doing all right for about a season in League 1, and only now in the Championship.

Granted they played Mancienne in midfield on last Tuesday, but when Wiltshire (Arsenal) and Henderson (Sunderland) were playing with Albrighton (Aston Villa) and Danny Rose, I dont think he''d trouble the selectors there.

Meanwhile at fullback there''s Kelly from Liverpool!

Sorry, but he''s not good enough, despite all the green and yellow tinted glasses!

[quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="I am a Banana"]He is brilliant against championship team, but would he be ready for an extra step up so quick?[/quote]Championship >>>> England U21s.Korey Smith would own any midfield at U21 level.  [/quote]

Dont think he would own any of the players mentioned above!

Korey Smith v Jack Wiltshire = Korey Fail!

Yeah he works hard and puts a tackle in but passing quality, pace. crossing, eye for a defence splitting pass?????

[quote user="Boyo"][quote user="GJP"][quote user="Boyo"]

[quote user="GJP"]In my opinion Korey is a little bit short of what they''d be looking at for the U21''s. If you were to compare him to someone like Jordan Henderson (who can play central or right side of midfield) you can see that Korey isn''t quite at that level yet. Henderson can hold his own in the Premier League and although Korey always works very hard, he doesn''t always have a strong influence on the way the game is going.[/quote]

How you can say that absolutely baffles me!  I''m not going to write about all his talents because people have already done so but he really is excellent.

I take it you weren''t there on Saturday?  I know it was only Barnsley but he was an absoulte country mile ahead of everyone on the park, including Norwich players.  He is just getting better every game and we are not the same team without him.

I agree though that the longer his name is kept quiet the better.  Look at Connor Wickham, Ipswich flash his name about and he gets into England U18''s or whatever and all of a sudden Arsenal and Tottenham apparently put in a bid.  He won''t be there for anymore time than two seasons at the absolute max.

[/quote]

Which bit of that baffles you?

It was probably Korey''s best game on Saturday and he did play really well but at the same time he didn''t do anything spectacular. He played with a lot of energy (as always) but this time his work on the ball was better than usual. A few nice little bits of control and skill in the early stages really pleased the crowd. He had a good game in an average game full of average performances from individuals.

He does a great job for us but I don''t believe at this moment that his all round game is quite there, not if you want to be talking about the U21''s and getting ahead of some lads that play Premier League football.

As with my earlier post, if you to compare him to Jordan Henderson (who plays in similar positions) you would have to say that Henderson has got a bit more going for him and looks more like the finised article.

[/quote]

The bit where you say he dosn''t have a strong influence on the game.  We are not the same team without him.

[/quote]

Yeah but what he mainly brings to us as a team is energy.

But does he dictate the play? Does he run the tempo of the game? Does he pull the strings?

I''m not convinced he does enough of that.

He can do a lot of things well but, apart from being full of energy, I''m not sure if he''s an outstanding talent on the ball.

they always used to put at least 1 player from the hosting club to attract punters to U21 games - perhaps they will do that again and pick Martin or Smith

Having looked at the team for their last game , doesn;t thrill me at all

[quote user="gary "]they always used to put at least 1 player from the hosting club to attract punters to U21 games - perhaps they will do that again and pick Martin or Smith Having looked at the team for their last game , doesn;t thrill me at all[/quote]

This game is too important for them to pick Korey or C Martin just to attract some extra crowd. It is the first leg in the play-off to get to the European Championship and if England failed to make it, it will be another black mark against young English players. Also if you aren''t excited by Wilshere and Rodwell then I don''t know who would excite you; these two will be the England midfield pairing in the future and will hopefully play better together than Lampard and Gerrard.

Utter rubbish that!

Not every player in the team can pull the strings and dictate the game!

It''s down to players like Smith and Crofts that players like Hoolahan can do what they do best.

He would be in a team to break up play and work hard for the team (i.e do the donkey work of other midfielder)

So in this case Wilshere would be the creator and Smith would be the destroyer, so your argument that because he doesn''t pull the strings he isn''t good enough is ridiculous.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[quote user="gary "]they always used to put at least 1 player from the hosting club to attract punters to U21 games - perhaps they will do that again and pick Martin or Smith Having looked at the team for their last game , doesn;t thrill me at all[/quote]

This game is too important for them to pick Korey or C Martin just to attract some extra crowd. It is the first leg in the play-off to get to the European Championship and if England failed to make it, it will be another black mark against young English players. Also if you aren''t excited by Wilshere and Rodwell then I don''t know who would excite you; these two will be the England midfield pairing in the future and will hopefully play better together than Lampard and Gerrard.

[/quote]

I thought Wilshere was on the bench in the previous game - a good player , but until he learns to tackle he will have problems - Rodwell will move to one of the big four ( Probably Man Utd ) not play many games and stagnate - however if Gerrard can misplace as many passes as he does and still captain England then teh sights are not set too high

[quote user="gary "][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]

[/quote] I thought Wilshere was on the bench in the previous game - a good player , but until he learns to tackle he will have problems - Rodwell will move to one of the big four ( Probably Man Utd ) not play many games and stagnate - however if Gerrard can misplace as many passes as he does and still captain England then teh sights are not set too high[/quote]

Wilshere was on the bench due to his little legal problems and his head wasn''t quite right according to Pearce, he was putting in some decent tackles against Braga on Wednesday night and already looks comfortable in the Arsenal midfield. Rodwell is doing well at Everton and won''t change clubs for a couple of years yet, he just signed a new contract and no one (apart from Man City) really has the money to buy anyone. I actually think a move to Man U could be perfect for Rodwell, Fergie is good at developing young players and the Man U midfield is lacking a combative midfielder who is also good on the ball; not too many players stagnate at Man U either - they go to Man City or Chelsea to do that.

I still think Korey has some way to go but does have a long term opportunity if he takes itThe U19''s and U21''s should be development squads for the full sides and players should be given a chance.  Some players react well to playing with good players and step up their game and some freeze and dont do themselves justice.  This doesnt work too well with the amount of competitive games they play.  This restricts playing plays for a look and see approachWith Korey I think he has to have a run of good games to prove he is worth a call up.  A couple of games in Championship isnt enough but inclusion in the squad would give them an opportunity to look at him even if it is only because the game is at carrow Road

[quote user="PL"]Utter rubbish that!

Not every player in the team can pull the strings and dictate the game!

It''s down to players like Smith and Crofts that players like Hoolahan can do what they do best.

He would be in a team to break up play and work hard for the team (i.e do the donkey work of other midfielder)

So in this case Wilshere would be the creator and Smith would be the destroyer, so your argument that because he doesn''t pull the strings he isn''t good enough is ridiculous.[/quote]

Perhaps I''m not explaining myself very well.

I don''t think Korey Smith has enough about him (at the moment, at least) to impact a game in the way that they''d be looking for.

[quote user="gary "]

I thought Wilshere was on the bench in the previous game - a good player , but until he learns to tackle he will have problems - [/quote]

Firstly - I think "good" is selling Wilshere a bit short

Secondly - look at Paul Scholes'' tackling, hasn''t stopped him being one of the best midfielders in football over the last 10-20 years.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="gary "]

I thought Wilshere was on the bench in the previous game - a good player , but until he learns to tackle he will have problems - [/quote]

Secondly - look at Paul Scholes'' tackling, hasn''t stopped him being one of the best midfielders in football over the last 10-20 years.

[/quote]

Wilshere has potential but to describe him as anythimng other than good is a bit premature - Not in the same league as Fabregas at the moment

If Paul Scholes played for any other team than Man Utd his disciplinary record would be horrendous , he is a good passer , but a midfielder is more than that

[quote user="gary "][quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="gary "]

[/quote] Wilshere has potential but to describe him as anythimng other than good is a bit premature - Not in the same league as Fabregas at the moment If Paul Scholes played for any other team than Man Utd his disciplinary record would be horrendous , he is a good passer , but a midfielder is more than that[/quote]

Wilshere has huge potential. To label him as "good" just seems to be overlooking and ignorning his young age and the clear talent he has for the game.

And to quote Zinedine Zidane "You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get."

"If Paul Scholes played for any other team than Man Utd his disciplinary record would be horrendous , he is a good passer , but a midfielder is more than that "

So Paul Scholes doesn''t qualify as a Midfielder to you?

Funny... since IMHO as a midfielder he has been the best English player of his generation.

of course he is a midfielder , but a really great midfielder has far more to his game , i accept he is a good passer and does his job well , but in 10 years time , don;t think you will look back at his career in the same way as someone like Hoddle or Gascoigne - both had more than Scholes

"of course he is a midfielder , but a really great midfielder has far more to his game "

Sorry mate - as an attacking central midfielder Scholes was up there with great and greatest...

[quote user="gary "]Hoddle or Gascoigne - both had more than Scholes[/quote]

Apart from League winners medals, FA Cup winners medals, European Cup winners medals, caps for England and goals for England.

Paul Scholes has more of all those than the other two.

Not to mention playing his whole career for a bigger club than either Hoddle or Gazza ever played for.

Makes you wonder how Scholes could do all that if he wasn''t just an absolutely brilliant player.

(obviously Hoddle and Gazza were great players as well)