Sign in to follow this  
Bobby Can

New Striker

New poster here so don''t shoot me down.

I know this has been talked about way too much but I believe we need a new striker not as a backup to Holt but one to put him under pressure, If Palace can get the quality of James Vaughan then surely we must be able to pick someone up from the Prem??

Agreed, we do need a big target man to challenge Holt who in my opinion looks only half fit.

They don''t come cheap though!!

Indeed, you run the risk of public humiliation and torture on this message board for suggesting such sacrilege but you are spot on.

Having been to all of this seasons games its fast becoming clear Holt is either struggling for fitness or is just finding the move up to the Chumpionship a difficult one. On Tuesday he was pretty ineffective notwithstanding of course the tactical howler that didn’t really do him many favours.

There is a NCISCA meeting coming up that might allow a few questions in the direction of Lambo and the odd board member but certainly finding some backup must surely be high on their list of priorities?

Can''t shoot you down fella, its a good point.

Even if Holt was fit, there would still be a need for cover-we seem to have it for most positions and players, except for him.

Martin and Jackson may well be able to play as a front pairing, but if they do, there''s no physical presence, at least, not that which Holt gives us. Holt is more than just the old fashioned "battering ram" type of forward, but, even so, he is a big bugger and, without him, or, with him not quite fit, as seems the case at the moment, we are lacking a certain something...

The problem is, with him pretty much a guaranteed starter, how many players would want to join, knowing that they are just going to be "cover". Decent players? No. Rob Hulse, someone like that, even if we had have been in a postion to sign him, wouldn''t be happy to play as Holt''s "second", and, a player who might, well, then you question his ambition, motive and quality. So its a tough call.

Martin has started the season well, knowing that Jackson is there and waiting.

But Holty has no natural replacement and, maybe if we did have, he could take the time out to get fit and resolve whatever might be the reason for his slow start.

Wrapping myself in knots here trying to figure the issue out TBH. Shame Iwan doesn''t fancy a famous comeback and isn''t ten years younger!

[quote user="Bury Green"]Indeed, you run the risk of public humiliation and torture on this message board for suggesting such sacrilege but you are spot on. Having been to all of this seasons games its fast becoming clear Holt is either struggling for fitness or is just finding the move up to the Chumpionship a difficult one. On Tuesday he was pretty ineffective notwithstanding of course the tactical howler that didn’t really do him many favours. There is a NCISCA meeting coming up that might allow a few questions in the direction of Lambo and the odd board member but certainly finding some backup must surely be high on their list of priorities?[/quote]

I agree. He''s currently a shadow of his former self. At his best he rampages around the pitch chasing lost causes and unsettling defenders, but this season his workrate is noticeably lower and he spends way too much time moaning at the ref and trying to wangle free kicks.

I''m not sure whether it''s fitness or the fact that he''s starting to believe his own publicity. Certainly his cavalier approach to his court case and his hissy fit at Scunthorpe which resulted in him refusing to speak to a particular journalist for the rest of the season for daring to report the court case suggests that the ego might have got a little inflated.

I blame NCISA for letting Kathy present his award.

I knew no good would come of it.

On a serious note Holt is the only one without a direct understudy/replacement.

Maybe as you say Beau he has started believing his own reputation or the club captaincy has again become the poison challice.

Whatever the reason an alternative needs to be found or a way of rewinding him up or our season will flounder, which would be a great pity.

Bury Green, Lambert is NOT at the NCISA meeting it is McNally,Foulger and I believe Richard Gough.

[quote user="Bobby Can"]

New poster here so don''t shoot me down.

I know this has been talked about way too much but I believe we need a new striker not as a backup to Holt but one to put him under pressure, If Palace can get the quality of James Vaughan then surely we must be able to pick someone up from the Prem??

[/quote]

Players in the premier league won''t come here on loan, we don''t have the bright light night life like all the big cities have, they want the disco and booze

Clearly our strike force is struggling. Of 9 league goals scored, they collectively have contributed merely 3!

We do not have enough evidence to form a judgement on Jackson, although we think that he has enough pace to survive in the championship.

Martin seems to be adapting to the Championship, with near misses and woodwork struck.

The problem at the moment is clearly Holty. He has made some telling crosses from the wing, but apart from his one headed goal does not seem to be threatening to score.

PL presumably has discussed this with his team, and with Holty. It seems likely that as there is no urgency at the moment, (unless very secret contacts are being made with other clubs), the club expects whatever is hindering Holty to be overcome soon.

He seems to have lost his zest, except in brief bursts, so perhaps injury or lack of match fitness will be overcome.

In his post match comments and in answer to a question about Holty being substituted, PL raher mumbled a statement about bringing on Johnson to try something new. It is difficult to recall Holty ever being taken off in matches we were losing last season, so there does seem to be a doubt in PL''s mind about Holty at present.

What the consequences will be of persevering with our present strikers, who knows? We are still managing to score in most games, but with the defence still prone to occasional howlers, something will have to be done soon to add firepower if we are to avoid mid-table mediocrity.

Funnily enough, it was this time seven years ago that Neil Doncaster, in a piece of Norwich City chief executiveship unequalled in its creative brilliance, persuaded not one or two but THREE Premier League players to join us on loan, to boost our promotion hopes after a two-goal margin away defeat.More than that, this Machiavellian genius actually persuaded a local businessman to pay the wages of one of these three players!!! Barely believable, but true.Sadly it doesn''t look as if we have anyone of that calibre and inventiveness in charge of the club now.[;)]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Funnily enough, it was this time seven years ago that Neil Doncaster, in a piece of Norwich City chief executiveship unequalled in its creative brilliance, persuaded not one or two but THREE Premier League players to join us on loan, to boost our promotion hopes after a two-goal margin away defeat.

More than that, this Machiavellian genius actually persuaded a local businessman to pay the wages of one of these three players!!! Barely believable, but true.

Sadly it doesn''t look as if we have anyone of that calibre and inventiveness in charge of the club now.[;)]

[/quote]

Now that is an interesting view of history.

Whats your opinion on Rasputins influence on the Russian Tzars?

[quote user="Salopian"]It is difficult to recall Holty ever being taken off in matches we were losing last season, so there does seem to be a doubt in PL''s mind about Holty at present.[/quote]Last season Lambert only ever took Holt off when we had at least a two-goal lead. Never when we were drawing or losing.

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Funnily enough, it was this time seven years ago that Neil Doncaster, in a piece of Norwich City chief executiveship unequalled in its creative brilliance, persuaded not one or two but THREE Premier League players to join us on loan, to boost our promotion hopes after a two-goal margin away defeat.More than that, this Machiavellian genius actually persuaded a local businessman to pay the wages of one of these three players!!! Barely believable, but true.Sadly it doesn''t look as if we have anyone of that calibre and inventiveness in charge of the club now.[;)][/quote]

Now that is an interesting view of history.

Whats your opinion on Rasputins influence on the Russian Tzars?

[/quote]Not a "view" at all, TB. Purely factual.[8-|]

I do agree in some respects CT, but that doesn''t stop us from letting him get fit by bringing another striker in, adding something to the squad and make him work for his place. We all know when fit he is quality in front of goal.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]Funnily enough, it was this time seven years ago that Neil Doncaster, in a piece of Norwich City chief executiveship unequalled in its creative brilliance, persuaded not one or two but THREE Premier League players to join us on loan, to boost our promotion hopes after a two-goal margin away defeat.

More than that, this Machiavellian genius actually persuaded a local businessman to pay the wages of one of these three players!!! Barely believable, but true.

Sadly it doesn''t look as if we have anyone of that calibre and inventiveness in charge of the club now.[;)]

[/quote]

...Yes, he''s certainly sorely missed....

A loan for someone like Ishmael Miller maybe - think would only be able to get anyone with a bit of experience in until Jan but would be nice.

If not surely there must be someone like the new Carlton Cole or Andy Carroll out there.

i dont think necessarily a target man either.. just a striker who can score goals at this level. it weill keep both Holt and Martin on their toes.Jackson and Johnson are unproven at this level and if the worst was to happen could they keep us in a good league position with regular goals? as said before if Palarse can get Vaughan and Cardiff Bellamy then can we pull out a mega coup?

Admittedly I am not in the best of moods at present but I cannot believe Lambert is happy with the striker situation. Now, I have some worries.

1) Can anyone tell me if they have read or heard anything from McNally or Bowkett welcoming Fry to the board? If not, this really is an unusual situation. For our Chairman not to acknowledge this ''great''(!) addition is truly strange and for my part worrying.

2) Have McNally and Bowkett become a wee bit disillusioned at the balance of power. Do they fear that the drive and ambition of the club and much improved image that they have successfully promoted is tortuously reverting to norm?

The EDP have consistently told us that we have cover for every position. We certainly haven''t for Holt.

With Lambo and the coaching staff we just need the addition of a half decent striker and then at the very least we will secure safety for this season.

For me personally, to witness the transition of our club from a wet, soft touch outfit to a truly professional ''not to be messed with'' club, was an absolute joy. To return to anything like the image we had previously would be a sad day indeed indeed

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Admittedly I am not in the best of moods at present but I cannot believe Lambert is happy with the striker situation. Now, I have some worries. 1) Can anyone tell me if they have read or heard anything from McNally or Bowkett welcoming Fry to the board? If not, this really is an unusual situation. For our Chairman not to acknowledge this ''great''(!) addition is truly strange and for my part worrying. 2) Have McNally and Bowkett become a wee bit disillusioned at the balance of power. Do they fear that the drive and ambition of the club and much improved image that they have successfully promoted is tortuously reverting to norm? The EDP have consistently told us that we have cover for every position. We certainly haven''t for Holt. With Lambo and the coaching staff we just need the addition of a half decent striker and then at the very least we will secure safety for this season. For me personally, to witness the transition of our club from a wet, soft touch outfit to a truly professional ''not to be messed with'' club, was an absolute joy. To return to anything like the image we had previously would be a sad day indeed indeed[/quote]

I certainly haven''t seen or heard any comment from Mr McNally or Mr Bowkett - welcoming Stephen onto the NCFC board....?

Anyone aware of any comment from the Chief Exec or Chairman, regarding Stephen''s appointment....?

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Admittedly I am not in the best of moods at present but I cannot believe Lambert is happy with the striker situation. Now, I have some worries. 1) Can anyone tell me if they have read or heard anything from McNally or Bowkett welcoming Fry to the board? If not, this really is an unusual situation. For our Chairman not to acknowledge this ''great''(!) addition is truly strange and for my part worrying. 2) Have McNally and Bowkett become a wee bit disillusioned at the balance of power. Do they fear that the drive and ambition of the club and much improved image that they have successfully promoted is tortuously reverting to norm? The EDP have consistently told us that we have cover for every position. We certainly haven''t for Holt. With Lambo and the coaching staff we just need the addition of a half decent striker and then at the very least we will secure safety for this season. For me personally, to witness the transition of our club from a wet, soft touch outfit to a truly professional ''not to be messed with'' club, was an absolute joy. To return to anything like the image we had previously would be a sad day indeed indeed[/quote]

I certainly haven''t seen or heard any comment from Mr McNally or Mr Bowkett - welcoming Stephen onto the NCFC board....?

Anyone aware of any comment from the Chief Exec or Chairman, regarding Stephen''s appointment....?

[/quote]---Welcoming comments from Bowkett and McNally have been conspicuously

absent. And Bowkett in particular may well be unhappy. But it was always

distinctly possible that Smith and Jones would restore their majority

on the board if they thought it prudent. It is what owners of companies

tend to do. It should hardly have come as a surprise to anyone, least of all Bowkett, with his boardroom experience. I''m not

saying for certain that is why Fry was brought on board, but it is one

obvious explanation.

As to Bury''s worries about Lambert being refused money for a striker, I

must say I''m a bit confused. We were - at the last count - £23m in debt.

Despite that we spent loads of money in the summer without resorting to

player sales. It doesn''t take a genius to suspect that at least some of

that spending was bankrolled by the owners. Now the argument is that

they should give Lambert even more money for another striker.

Should not Lambert have thought of that in the summer? Instead of buying

up more and more midfield players he could have bought a striker. It

was his decision how to spend the money he was allocated. The result is

we have an unbalanced squad, with midfield players coming out of our

ears, but no back-up for Holt. The blame for that has to lie with Lambert if anyone.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]

---

Welcoming comments from Bowkett and McNally have been conspicuously absent. And Bowkett in particular may well be unhappy. But it was always distinctly possible that Smith and Jones would restore their majority on the board if they thought it prudent. It is what owners of companies tend to do. It should hardly have come as a surprise to anyone, least of all Bowkett, with his boardroom experience. I''m not saying for certain that is why Fry was brought on board, but it is one obvious explanation.

As to Bury''s worries about Lambert being refused money for a striker, I must say I''m a bit confused. We were - at the last count - £23m in debt. Despite that we spent loads of money in the summer without resorting to player sales. It doesn''t take a genius to suspect that at least some of that spending was bankrolled by the owners. Now the argument is that they should give Lambert even more money for another striker.

Should not Lambert have thought of that in the summer? Instead of buying up more and more midfield players he could have bought a striker. It was his decision how to spend the money he was allocated. The result is we have an unbalanced squad, with midfield players coming out of our ears, but no back-up for Holt. The blame for that has to lie with Lambert if anyone.
[/quote]

I will await with interest who''s shares Fry bought(spares or DS''s) as it is not a coincidence that his book and her articles needed a  boost of publicity and distinct lack of "action" since!

On the striker front, Lambert may have misscalculated slightly on Holts ability to adjust to this level , however I do think at present that he looks distinctly out of shape for a pro footballer in mid career.There may be other reasons that performances are way below par BUT a loan replacement might just fit the bill.

I can''t see Lambert promoting a midfielder to play upfront, so give it another couple of games and you may see some more action on the inputs front.

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[/quote]---Welcoming comments from Bowkett and McNally have been conspicuously absent. And Bowkett in particular may well be unhappy. But it was always distinctly possible that Smith and Jones would restore their majority on the board if they thought it prudent. It is what owners of companies tend to do. It should hardly have come as a surprise to anyone, least of all Bowkett, with his boardroom experience. I''m not saying for certain that is why Fry was brought on board, but it is one obvious explanation.As to Bury''s worries about Lambert being refused money for a striker, I must say I''m a bit confused. We were - at the last count - £23m in debt. Despite that we spent loads of money in the summer without resorting to player sales. It doesn''t take a genius to suspect that at least some of that spending was bankrolled by the owners. Now the argument is that they should give Lambert even more money for another striker.Should not Lambert have thought of that in the summer? Instead of buying up more and more midfield players he could have bought a striker. It was his decision how to spend the money he was allocated. The result is we have an unbalanced squad, with midfield players coming out of our ears, but no back-up for Holt. The blame for that has to lie with Lambert if anyone.[/quote]

I will await with interest who''s shares Fry bought(spares or DS''s) as it is not a coincidence that his book and her articles needed a  boost of publicity and distinct lack of "action" since!

On the striker front, Lambert may have misscalculated slightly on Holts ability to adjust to this level , however I do think at present that he looks distinctly out of shape for a pro footballer in mid career.There may be other reasons that performances are way below par BUT a loan replacement might just fit the bill.

I can''t see Lambert promoting a midfielder to play upfront, so give it another couple of games and you may see some more action on the inputs front.

[/quote]Agreed. A loan deal has always looked the likeliest option. And I don''t blame Lambert for waiting until now to see how Holt shaped up - literally and metaphorically. My point was it was absurd to criticise Smith and Jones over this. No-one forced Lambert to sign all those midfield players, so that we have TWELVE in the squad.Gill, Crofts, Hughes, Surman, Hoolahan, Fox, Adeyemi, Smith, Lappin, McNamee, OTJ and Daley. Granted two are on loan, but that must be in part because Lambert brought in so many new ones. The money spent on Surman, for example, could have bought a striker instead. Lambert''s decision.

Clinton Morrison, now at Sheffield Wednesday.....I think even at 31 years of age, he would do a decent ''job'' for us....

I seem to remember we were showing an interest in him a few seasons ago....

Purple. My biggest concern is the feeling that perhaps things are not all well in the ''board camp'' at the moment.

Apart from last season I have hated the image we have had over the last few years with a passion.

I remember the Arthur South days when we were not always successful on the pitch but boy our image with the media et al was something to be proud of.

The majority shareholder was reasonably quiet last season and that sat well with the great efforts of the Chief Executive and Chairman

Now we hear little from both but plenty about our club having the most women supporters. This goes down extremely well with my binner friends.

Lets be avin yer? Not again matey!

I hope to attend next weeks NCISA meeting which could be interesting

Look forward to seeing you Bury Yellow.

We have the two who can answer the questions (hopefully)

I will be against the bar so press a pint in my hand!!

A couple of pointsIt is good to suggest we get somebody on loan but who.........Interested in who people thinkIt really is difficult because those that prem teams want to lend are usually young and inexperienced and that maybe not what we need.  Blackpool are signing everybody''s cast offs but missed a chance with Dave Kitson (Pompey) thoughLastly and relevant;  Its only been 6 games and he has had other things on his mind.