Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Dean Ashton lives near Colney Training Ground.

So says Chris Lakey in today''s EDP. It''s quite an interesting article about Ashton. There was one particularly gruesome reference to Dean''s ankle injury that finished his career. Apparently he was on The Hammers'' training ground preparing to make a comeback, when his ankle made some audible creaking sounds. One of the other Hammers asked him what the noise was and he told him it was his boots. Shortly afterwards he broke down again - in floods of tears - and he sensed his playing days were over.

Just read his interview, loves Norwich, loves Norfolk.........Have i missed something here, as soon as we were Relegated, He could''nt leave quick enough, and the club had given him a massive pay rise.... so i say Mr Ashton, cant you find a nice new house next to West Ham Football Club!!

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just read his interview, loves Norwich, loves Norfolk.........Have i missed something here, as soon as we were Relegated, He could''nt leave quick enough, and the club had given him a massive pay rise.... so i say Mr Ashton, cant you find a nice new house next to West Ham Football Club!![/quote]He was one of the best strikers in the Premier League for the second half of the 04/05 season, so you can you really blame him for moving to a bigger club, in order to fulfil his ambitions of winning trophies and playing for England?Even as a Norwich fan, I would''ve done the same, and I''m sure pretty much all of us would...

I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.

[quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.[/quote]That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.

Bottom line is we were doing crap, he got the chance to play in the top league and ended up scoring in the FA Cup final that year. We got good money out if it but then chose to spend it unwisely and waived some of the potential add ons on Peter Grant. Shame he''s had to pack up but he''s came out a lot better than some.

[quote user="zemas tendon"]Just read his interview, loves Norwich, loves Norfolk.........Have i missed something here, as soon as we were Relegated, He could''nt leave quick enough, and the club had given him a massive pay rise.... so i say Mr Ashton, cant you find a nice new house next to West Ham Football Club!![/quote]

Thats a bit hard. Norfolk is not the easiest place to earn a crust.

[quote user="3pmkickoff"]Bottom line is we were doing crap, he got the chance to play in the top league and ended up scoring in the FA Cup final that year. We got good money out if it but then chose to spend it unwisely and waived some of the potential add ons on Peter Grant. Shame he''s had to pack up but he''s came out a lot better than some.
[/quote]

Spot on. And lets not forget that we doubled our money on him and he was a very injury prone player whose career was always going to be on a knife edge - I genuinely believe that a fully fit Ashton would have been England''s centre forward for many years. The two positions in a football team where you can''t carry be injury prone are centre forward and centre half because of the knocks you give and take - you have to have a robust physiology (like Grant Holt, and not like Zak Whitbread). Ashton simply didn''t have that - but what a fantastic player he was.

[quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.[/quote]That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.[/quote]Yes I would turn United down because there is no way on this earth I could play for a team I hated as much as them,  you may not be able to earn as much money playing for Norwich as the bigger clubs but you could still earn far more than if you had a proper job and I''d consider it an honour to play for the club I''ve supported all my life.

[quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.[/quote]That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.[/quote]Yes I would turn United down because there is no way on this earth I could play for a team I hated as much as them,  you may not be able to earn as much money playing for Norwich as the bigger clubs but you could still earn far more than if you had a proper job and I''d consider it an honour to play for the club I''ve supported all my life. [/quote]That''s the standard reply from someone who has never been, or was ever likely to be, in that situation.

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.
As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.
[/quote]
That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.
[/quote]
Yes I would turn United down because there is no way on this earth I could play for a team I hated as much as them,  you may not be able to earn as much money playing for Norwich as the bigger clubs but you could still earn far more than if you had a proper job and I''d consider it an honour to play for the club I''ve supported all my life.
[/quote]

That''s the standard reply from someone who has never been, or was ever likely to be, in that situation.

[/quote]Matt Le Tissier?

The question I''ll ask on Hucks site will be how much he actually knew about the move, I got the impression is was the club finding the offer too good to turn down, coz that''s never happened before has it....what was the quote "everyone has a price"!

[quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.[/quote]That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.[/quote]Yes I would turn United down because there is no way on this earth I could play for a team I hated as much as them,  you may not be able to earn as much money playing for Norwich as the bigger clubs but you could still earn far more than if you had a proper job and I''d consider it an honour to play for the club I''ve supported all my life. [/quote]That''s the standard reply from someone who has never been, or was ever likely to be, in that situation.

[/quote]Obviously.

you can''t blame him for wanting to live in Norfolk though. Not only is it where his g/f is from there but it must be an even better place to live when you have lots of money.

Seems to me that just about every player we''ve ever had love the area and who can blame then, just ask Hucks :)

Sounds like we''ll soon have another former player in the crowd as well.

Fantastic player for us and if we had signed him at the start of the Premier League season then who knows what could have happened. I personally didn''t have a problem with him moving on. He hung around after we were relegated but it was clear we werent ever going to seriously threaten for promotion. So it made sense for him to get back to the Premiership and push for the honours he deserved.

In all fairness.  He moved on for a large fee.  He''s unlucky to get injured.  And he says he''s staying in the area and going to follow City.  We should accept him as our own and remember the positives.

[quote user="sgncfc"]

[quote user="3pmkickoff"]Bottom line is we were doing crap, he got the chance to play in the top league and ended up scoring in the FA Cup final that year. We got good money out if it but then chose to spend it unwisely and waived some of the potential add ons on Peter Grant. Shame he''s had to pack up but he''s came out a lot better than some.[/quote]

Spot on. And lets not forget that we doubled our money on him and he was a very injury prone player whose career was always going to be on a knife edge - I genuinely believe that a fully fit Ashton would have been England''s centre forward for many years. The two positions in a football team where you can''t carry be injury prone are centre forward and centre half because of the knocks you give and take - you have to have a robust physiology (like Grant Holt, and not like Zak Whitbread). Ashton simply didn''t have that - but what a fantastic player he was.

[/quote]what he said ^

great player but he didnt exactly give his all for us in the championship, and for that reason, hes a w****r

[quote user="the king"]great player but he didnt exactly give his all for us in the championship, and for that reason, hes a w****r[/quote]have you seen his missus. no need to w**** when you''ve got her to go home to!!

Dean Ashton gave his all even in the championship season he was on for 20 goals a season... the biggest mistake was the personnel around him, the team that provided for him were totally different

No Bentley, helveg, jonson, mckenzie (injured), francis etc.

Instead jason jarrett, andy hughes, peter thorne

That is where Worthy made his fatal mistake I think 6 new players who were crap.

I completely understand why ashton moved and good man, when he came back for a preseason friendly people were prepared to boo... no way, a player of genuine class who gave us a lift in the prem and almost saved us from relegation. There will be few gifterd strikers with the potential as dean ashton at carrow road.

Pleased he likes it here.

Dean Ashton was a good lad. He did brilliantly in his time here with us.

i remember sitting watching West Ham Liverpool in the cup final when Ashton scored twice and thinking just how superb a player he was.... had injurys not have blighted him i honestly think he could have gone on to have been the best striker England had.. even better than Rooney...

shame we will never know...

[quote user="smooth"]Dean Ashton gave his all even in the championship season he was on for 20 goals a season... the biggest mistake was the personnel around him, the team that provided for him were totally different

No Bentley, helveg, jonson, mckenzie (injured), francis etc.

Instead jason jarrett, andy hughes, peter thorne

That is where Worthy made his fatal mistake I think 6 new players who were crap.

I completely understand why ashton moved and good man, when he came back for a preseason friendly people were prepared to boo... no way, a player of genuine class who gave us a lift in the prem and almost saved us from relegation. There will be few gifterd strikers with the potential as dean ashton at carrow road.

Pleased he likes it here.[/quote]Totally agree with this, Jas also.It shows how difficult it is to assess a manager - it can take years to disentangle luck from judgement.I''m beginning to suspect Lambert is a better manager than Worthy, but it is going to take at least a couple of more years before we find out. He''s only a rookie after all.His big challenge at the moment is to sort Grant out. At least he''s now acknowledged there is a problem. It does seem he''s overdone it on the midfielders & been a bit complacent on the striker situation, but we''ll see. I also personally would have stuck with Cody rather than Oli; Cody''s raw but will give defences a consistently hard time, whereas I think Oli''s more of a man of occasional brilliance - & we already have one of those in Jackson.But I do trust Lambert. He''s a dour, sceptical, canny sort of Scot with an underlying passion for the game. He''ll be his own hardest critic & quietly learn from his mistakes. Bit of a contrast to a previous Scottish manager ...Overall I''m quietly confident.    OTBC!

[quote user="JF"][quote user="ron obvious"][quote user="kdncfc"][quote user="Big Slob"][quote user="kdncfc"]I thought he could have stayed here until the end of the season after we got relegated and at least have given his all to try and help us get promoted, we did give him his shot at the big time and the least he could have done was show a bit of loyalty. He was still young and he was good enough to get his move in the summer had he turned the spammers down.As a Norwich fan there''d be no way on this earth I''d have considered moving to another club should I have been fortunate enough to play for them.[/quote]That''s ridiculous! Fair enough if Norwich were in the premiership, but Surely if say Man Utd came in with a huge wage offer, the chance of playing champions league football, much better England prospects, and the chance to win lots of titles you wouldn''t turn it down? I''d love to play for Norwich, as a fan, but the chance of more money and especially the chance to play on the worlds best stage and win the best trophies would be too much for anyone.[/quote]Yes I would turn United down because there is no way on this earth I could play for a team I hated as much as them,  you may not be able to earn as much money playing for Norwich as the bigger clubs but you could still earn far more than if you had a proper job and I''d consider it an honour to play for the club I''ve supported all my life. [/quote]That''s the standard reply from someone who has never been, or was ever likely to be, in that situation.

[/quote]Matt Le Tissier?[/quote]Le Tissier was so lazy he probably couldn''t be bothered to move house!