Sign in to follow this  

I would like to start this post by saying I am a big fan of Hoolahan and disagree with those that say he ia just an average Championshiop player, however I wonder if he is more of an "away" player, I ask as it would appear that Hoolahan is superb in away games, based on the assessments of thos that travel away, as I do not go to away games these days so I am not in a position to judge his performances on the road, however he does not appear to produce the same level of performance at CR as he does in away games and I wondered what other posters thoughts on this subject are.....

quite simpmly the answer is because when teams come to carrow road they sit behind the ball and there is not as much space, when we play away from home they attack more hence he gets a lot more space..... simples :)

Arguably, but by the same token i believe he scored goals in 5 consecutive home games in the earlier part of last season.

He plays well when he is in space.. yesterday Preston got there tactics completely wrong and Hoolahan found himself in so much space! I just hope other clubs adopt the same tactics as Preston did !! [;)]

Surely the reason that Lambert plays the same at home is that every tactic is less effective against a packed defence. So you may as well play the "best" system even if it isn''t quite as good.

I would say away from home he is able to have more of an influence on the game as he leads our break-aways and has more space and time to do this. When we are at home, away teams tend to sit back a bit more and often mark him out of games.

I just think Wes Hoolahan is a man for every game.

Even if his creativity is stifled by the opposition he never stops working, he''s a very hard working player.

Still the best footballer at the club, in my opinion.

Very important player for, no one has the same flair and eye as Hooly. Keep him fit, we have a chance of succeding this season.

If Hooly gets marked out of the game, then this should allow other players to drift into his usual space and try and work some magic.

I pretty-much agree with this - it is certainly the case that he often appears to be less effective in home games, but if that is a result of being marked out of the game, it does suggest more space for others - so can perhaps be a positive. It is certainly true that he does seem to get more rave reviews away from home, and it doesn''t seem unreasonable to think that it might have something to do with the opposition pushing on more in their home games.

statistically i''d say his ''passing the ball to the opposition %'' is higher than others in the midfield. No right foot, easily knocked off the ball, etc. HOWEVER outside the premier league he can always thread a decent ball if given the time and space.

Like Huckerby he can be brilliant and frustrating within the blink of an eye.