Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

Player ratings

Ruddy 8 Made some good save but his distribution was immense especially the quick long throws

Defence all 7/8, Drury can take real credit as he improved on Tues, they threw a lot at him and he was fine also bombed forward

Wes 9 He was excellent today not just the normal skill and pace but the tracking and tackling today was most pleasing

Crofts 8 early runner for PoS he runs midfield and made Rusty look a mere boy

Smith 7 Solid

Lappin 10 Faultless display his tackling and crossing were out of this world

Holt 8 He is unfit but he was miles better than on Tues he chased and took his goal well, he was unlucky when chasing down the keeper and hopefully the kock that forced him off won''t be too serious

Martin 7 was solid without shining

Gill not enough time

Jackson not enough time but is showing some flair that we paid the money for

Ruddy - 8 - Great save early in the first half to deny Parkin and rescued Ward when a back-header went wrong, also tipped a useful looking shot over the bar in the second half. Superb on corners and crosses all game, distribution first class, got a couple of attacks going with quick long throws out to the wide areas. One slight fumble when under pressure but recovered that well too. Great game. Fraser who?!

R. Martin - 8 - Thought he had a very good game, very solid and never let his winger get past him. A couple of useful forays forward, one of which resulted in a superb cross that could easily have been converted. Quick to clear his lines when needed and on this performance a good Championship performer.

Barnett - 9 - Immense. I don''t think he missed a header or a tackle all afternoon. Cleared his lines brilliantly, covered for others when needed and was generally a calm presence at the back. Has a bit of pace about him too. Very impressed, hope we can sign him up permanently.

Ward - 8 - Again very solid, had a tough customer to deal with in Parkin but generally handled him very well. One sloppy back-header had Ruddy in trouble but that aside, a confident display. Sometimes he played it short and nicely out from the back, other times it was rather lumped forward (though in fairness this was sometimes the best course of action).

Drury - 8 - Good performance from Mr. Reliable. Got up and down well and combined nicely with Lappin at times. Seems more confident with the King of Spain in front of him. A couple of good crosses.

Smith - 7.5 - Solid if unspectacular performance from young Korey. Impressive energy levels and never gave his man much time on the ball. Did brilliantly to set up Holt for his goal and showed good awareness at times to play the simple pass back to Russell Martin and retain possession of the ball. Looks more than comfortable at this level.

Crofts - 8 - Like this guy, always a thorn in the side of the opposition. Hassles and harries constantly, but can also play the ball out from defensive positions. Looked like he might have had a couple of chances to shoot when the ball came back to him on the edge of the area, but he was crowded out or his first touch let him down slightly. Made the spine of the team very hard to break down.

Lappin - 9.5 (MOM) - Classy, battling, gritty, brilliant performance from the likeable Scotsman. Delivery from wide areas and set-pieces was first-class all afternoon. Just put in an unbelievable shift down that left side. One tackle in our penalty area in the first half was quite superb and he injured himself in the process too, which underlines his committment to the cause. Just kept running and running and running all day long. Best I''ve seen him play for NCFC, seems to have bulked up a bit and I don''t think the worries about him being too lightweight to compete can be justified any longer. Keep it up Simon!

Hoolahan - 9 - Great performance from a quality little player. I was struck by how much he tracked back and hassled the opposition to get the ball back. A few trademark runs and he can be so difficult to get the ball off at times. Put the ball over for Korey to knock down for Holt''s goal and was a creative spark/outlet all afternoon. Wears the shirt with pride and tried his hardest for his team-mates.

C. Martin - 8.5 - Good performance again from Super Chrissy. Deserved his standing ovation when he was replaced. Such an intelligent footballer but also has the physicality to back it up at this level. Had a couple of direct runs at their defense and also held up the ball very well at times. A good passer and clearly likes playing with Wes and Holty.

Holt - 8.5 - Another 100% effort performance from the skipper. Had a tough time against St.Ledger but always gave his all and chased lost causes at times. Hit the post and bar in the first half when her perhaps could have hit the target (especially with the header from the corner). Always gives his all and took his goal really well. Went close with a glancing header that he needed to make more contact with. Well played Captain.

SUBS

Jackson - 7 - Not given too much time but made some promising direct runs and alleviated some of the pressure towards the end. Seems keen and certainly has a bit of pace about him. Unfortunate in that Grant Holt and Chris Martin are playing so well at the moment. His time will come.

Gill - N/a - Not on long enough to be given a score.

MANAGER

Lambert - 10 - Did well to see that Lappin offers more solidarity than Macca, which is especially important away from home at times. Gave the crowd a wave when asked and was quick to come marching across to celebrate with the fans at the end. Cheers Lambo!

[quote user="CDMullins"]

Hoolahan 7

Lappin 7

Smith 8

Holt 7

[/quote]

Im not questioning your logic here. But did you actually go to or listen to the game? KS was probably our least effective player and Lappin and Wes barely put a foot wrong.

[quote user="Grif"]

Ruddy - 8 - Great save early in the first half to deny Parkin and rescued Ward when a back-header went wrong, also tipped a useful looking shot over the bar in the second half. Superb on corners and crosses all game, distribution first class, got a couple of attacks going with quick long throws out to the wide areas. One slight fumble when under pressure but recovered that well too. Great game. Fraser who?!

R. Martin - 8 - Thought he had a very good game, very solid and never let his winger get past him. A couple of useful forays forward, one of which resulted in a superb cross that could easily have been converted. Quick to clear his lines when needed and on this performance a good Championship performer.

Barnett - 9 - Immense. I don''t think he missed a header or a tackle all afternoon. Cleared his lines brilliantly, covered for others when needed and was generally a calm presence at the back. Has a bit of pace about him too. Very impressed, hope we can sign him up permanently.

Ward - 8 - Again very solid, had a tough customer to deal with in Parkin but generally handled him very well. One sloppy back-header had Ruddy in trouble but that aside, a confident display. Sometimes he played it short and nicely out from the back, other times it was rather lumped forward (though in fairness this was sometimes the best course of action).

Drury - 8 - Good performance from Mr. Reliable. Got up and down well and combined nicely with Lappin at times. Seems more confident with the King of Spain in front of him. A couple of good crosses.

Smith - 7.5 - Solid if unspectacular performance from young Korey. Impressive energy levels and never gave his man much time on the ball. Did brilliantly to set up Holt for his goal and showed good awareness at times to play the simple pass back to Russell Martin and retain possession of the ball. Looks more than comfortable at this level.

Crofts - 8 - Like this guy, always a thorn in the side of the opposition. Hassles and harries constantly, but can also play the ball out from defensive positions. Looked like he might have had a couple of chances to shoot when the ball came back to him on the edge of the area, but he was crowded out or his first touch let him down slightly. Made the spine of the team very hard to break down.

Lappin - 9.5 (MOM) - Classy, battling, gritty, brilliant performance from the likeable Scotsman. Delivery from wide areas and set-pieces was first-class all afternoon. Just put in an unbelievable shift down that left side. One tackle in our penalty area in the first half was quite superb and he injured himself in the process too, which underlines his committment to the cause. Just kept running and running and running all day long. Best I''ve seen him play for NCFC, seems to have bulked up a bit and I don''t think the worries about him being too lightweight to compete can be justified any longer. Keep it up Simon!

Hoolahan - 9 - Great performance from a quality little player. I was struck by how much he tracked back and hassled the opposition to get the ball back. A few trademark runs and he can be so difficult to get the ball off at times. Put the ball over for Korey to knock down for Holt''s goal and was a creative spark/outlet all afternoon. Wears the shirt with pride and tried his hardest for his team-mates.

C. Martin - 8.5 - Good performance again from Super Chrissy. Deserved his standing ovation when he was replaced. Such an intelligent footballer but also has the physicality to back it up at this level. Had a couple of direct runs at their defense and also held up the ball very well at times. A good passer and clearly likes playing with Wes and Holty.

Holt - 8.5 - Another 100% effort performance from the skipper. Had a tough time against St.Ledger but always gave his all and chased lost causes at times. Hit the post and bar in the first half when her perhaps could have hit the target (especially with the header from the corner). Always gives his all and took his goal really well. Went close with a glancing header that he needed to make more contact with. Well played Captain.

SUBS

Jackson - 7 - Not given too much time but made some promising direct runs and alleviated some of the pressure towards the end. Seems keen and certainly has a bit of pace about him. Unfortunate in that Grant Holt and Chris Martin are playing so well at the moment. His time will come.

MANAGER

Lambert - 10 - Did well to see that Lappin offers more solidarity than Macca, which is especially important away from home at times. Gave the crowd a wave when asked and was quick to come marching across to celebrate with the fans at the end. Cheers Lambo!

[/quote]

Cant agree more with this [Y]

[quote user="Standard"]Holt 8 He is unfit but he was miles better than on Tues he chased and took his goal well, he was unlucky when chasing down the keeper and hopefully the kock that forced him off won''t be too serious[/quote]I hope it wasn''t a hard one.

That player rating report is one of the best reads, well done. I cant get to the games anymore so reading such a class post brings a big smile to my face. Keep um coming

[quote user="Grif"]

SUBS

MANAGER

[/quote]

Thanks for that mate. Could you possibly make this a regular thing for when you go to games?! ''The Griff ratings'' [:P] Keep it up, glad you enjoyed the game [Y]

[quote user="nevermind"]Chears. Take note hoola hoop doubters[/quote]

What with the whole team playing well now (Lappin, R. Martin, etc.) just who are the whingers going to pick on?

Ah cheers for the positive replies guys, nice to know I was able to provide a good bit of feedback on the game. It was great to watch them play so well and with such determination. I''ve never seen a Norwich team chase the ball down quite as much. Lambert has certainly got them playing for each other it seems.

Ha, I''d love to make it a permanent project, however I''m currently exiled oop north so can only really make a few away games at the moment. Appreciate the nice comments though, thanks.

OTBC!

Yes I was at the game.

It seems the NOTW reporter also gave Wes a 7, but I guess he wasnt wearing the same Wes tinted spectacles most City fans wear.

Wes did nothing special yesterday. He was very good defensivly and worked hard but with the ball he created very little.

As for the comment about Korey Smith, I thought he was very strong, him and Russell Martin they had Keith Tracey (who was excellent at Burnley last week) wrapped up, So much so that he was brought off at half time. Kory also gave the delicate and vital knock down for Holts goal.

Thats true, the NOTW are known for their accuracy. Look, I understand it must be hard for you to admit you''re wrong, but Wes had another good game. Simples.

Completely spot on Grif. I thought it was difficult to choose between Hoolahan and Lappin for the MoM.

I''m also loving how much Russell Martin is improving. Our whole team seem to have made a step up and I hope it can continue.

Just wondering Grif, do you use 7 as what you expect of them or 8?

Not a single player had a bad game yesterday. (although it took Holt quite a while to get going he certainly got better as the game went on)

I don''t see why you don''t think Hoolahan didn''t do more than was expected of him CD. His tackling was so much better than I''ve seen from him in a long time. He put pressure on every player close to him and caused quite a few misplaced passes. He won the ball himself a few times and was responsible for our only goal.

That''s a pretty damn good game despite what colour tint you have on your "glasses."

I did say I was impressed with Wes defensive display and effort. But he did no more than I would expect from any player pulling on that Yellow shirt and thats not why he is in out team. He is so frustrating for me, he beats men effortlessly and then tries to beat them again and again! His final ball was/as been/is wasteful. On a couple of occasions yesterday at 1-0 he had the chance to play Simeon through, but because he couldnt get the ball onto his left or kick with his right, he ended up loosing the ball or overhitting the pass.

It seems when Wes walks onto the pitch he starts on an 8, where as unfashionable players like R Martin starts on 6.

R Martin was exceptionable yesterday, really really tidy.

Another note on Holt, before he scored people around me were moaning and saying he was off it. Hes taped one in from 6 yards and now hes scoring 8s and 9s.

Griffs ratings are very high. Without trying to be negative we beat Preston 1-0. A very poor Preston, A Preston that have a real chance of been relegated this season and Griff is scoring us all 8s, 9s and 10s.

What ratings will you be giving if we play a really decent Middlesboro or QPR side off the park?

[quote user="CantonsHero"]Personally Holt was no more than a 6 for me, which seems odd considering he scored and hit the woodwork twice.
[/quote]

Perhaps you have something wrong with you then?

The ratings are based solely on the context of the actual game itself. As the saying goes, you can only beat what is in front of you. Granted Preston were poor at times, but in my opinion, those scores are deserved given the overall standard of play from our boys. If a striker scores 12 goals against a sunday league team, it stands to reason that he would get a high match rating because within that game scenario, he has excelled, irrespective of who he happens to be playing against. Or would you still only award a 5/6 because of the standard of the opposition?! I can see what you''re saying, but to my mind, your argument isn''t really a valid one.

I suppose I''m just happy to see the boys playing with some real drive and passion. I was at Bloomfield Road in the pouring rain in the uncovered temporary away seating in the season we went down to League 1. I have never seen such a limp, lifeless performance from a Norwich team. So it was genuinely pleasing to see such a difference yesterday. The scores are representative of the fact that we are a completely different and much-improved team now and the lads played well I felt.

The great thing is, everyone has the right to their own opinion, but in my mind, Hoolahan''s display was worth more than a 7. It is however just my opinion.

Great to see Russel Martin scoring well here. I was really worried that he would be badly exposed in this league but am happy to have been proved wrong. What a manager Lambert is, in recent history we have been a club where good players come and lose their form, now we can take average players and turn them into good ones, thats all down to the manager for me.

I agree with CDMullins about Wes.

If you kept a record of all his time on the ball (his defensive qualities are without question) going forward, the majority of the time he ''wastes'' the ball. some of this is mis-placed passes, mis-placed through balls, trying to do too much and gets dispossessed. Yes, he does some good stuff but he keeps the rest of the team busy trying to win it back when hes lost it.

It is as if he doesn''t know what to do next, so his indecision causes him to do the wrong thing. I was at the match yesterday and would give him 7, or 8 if you twisted my arm up my back to snapping point, just because he made the goal.

[quote user="thefutureisyellow"]Great to see Russel Martin scoring well here. I was really worried that he would be badly exposed in this league but am happy to have been proved wrong. What a manager Lambert is, in recent history we have been a club where good players come and lose their form, now we can take average players and turn them into good ones, thats all down to the manager for me.[/quote]

Totally agree. I was constantly defending Russell Martin last season but had doubts all summer whether he would cope in the Championship but it is so good to see him playing so well and I see him as an early front- runner for player of the season along with Crofts Chrissy Martin and Ruddy and possibly even Ward.

"It seems the NOTW reporter also gave Wes a 7, but I guess he wasnt wearing the same Wes tinted spectacles most City fans wear."

errr, this rather presumes that the NOTW actually had a reporter at the game. Something that is exceedingly unlikely.

Most tabloids will ''buy in'' reports from local journalists - in fact the Sun was notorious for not always not even buying in reports but cobbling together stuff from other media sources. Sadly, simple minded souls will sit monday morning and move their finger across the page as they read endless ''exclusives'' and -

''Angry manager says he is very angry''

So and so FC manager said he was very angry .....

Sadly we now have ''assists'', optima stats and so much other meaningless drivel that attempts to give some kind of meaning to a game that many cannot quite fathom.

Perhaps we should start measuring how many yards a player runs during a game - Andy Hughes, City''s greatest player of the decade.