Sign in to follow this  
Petriix

Football League Show

There were 34 games in the football league yesterday. If the Football League Show was only highlights (with no talking, introductions, analysis or stupid emails etc.) then there would be time to show 2 mins 20 secs of highlights of each game. It''s never gona be like watching your team in the featured game on Match of the Day with replays of incidents from different angles and in-depth analysis of defensive frailties. I think they do an alright job of giving a quick overview of a lot of games with some brief discussion of the key talking points. They could improve the format a bit or maybe have a program just for the Championship games - after all it is the sixth most supported league in europe. However, as it stands there''s no point complaining that they only gave us 1 minute again because there simply isn''t time for more.Rant over.

Well done Frank.The politest way of saying it''s not very good.I hope you hadn''t stayed up just to watch it[:S]

[quote user="Frank"]There were 34 games in the football league yesterday. If the Football League Show was only highlights (with no talking, introductions, analysis or stupid emails etc.) then there would be time to show 2 mins 20 secs of highlights of each game. It''s never gona be like watching your team in the featured game on Match of the Day with replays of incidents from different angles and in-depth analysis of defensive frailties. I think they do an alright job of giving a quick overview of a lot of games with some brief discussion of the key talking points. They could improve the format a bit or maybe have a program just for the Championship games - after all it is the sixth most supported league in europe. However, as it stands there''s no point complaining that they only gave us 1 minute again because there simply isn''t time for more.Rant over.[/quote]So now the BBC has Championship rights again, the local coverage should be stepped up so each BBC region gets an hour''s worth of highlights for their teams.  A bit like ITV''s "Soccer Special" used to be, but hopefully without any binner muppets presenting it.  And hopefully no Stewart White or Suzy Fowler-Watt.  Or Amelia Reynolds, or Mike Liggins.  Maybe Jim Bacon could be given a trial.

i used to like the ITV football league highlights programme. No one in a studio, no stupid emails, just a featured game and highlights

Personally I just wait until Mondays when its put up on the Norwich City bit of the BBC website which often includes the post match interviews with the managers as well. I then don''t have to stay up late before a Sunday morning footy match or get up early the following day.

As for coverage, we havn''t had decent TV coverage since we were in Europe . . . .

[quote user="Hardhouse44"]Where abouts in the show is our 1min of highlights?
[/quote]

About 21:40.

My problem with the FLS isn''t so much the inane chatter - if they got themselves pundits with half a brain between them, then they could talk about the games all they like - its the bias they seem to have towards certain clubs.  I''m not just complaining about our general lack of coverage this year, but look at last night''s show - it took them 20 minutes to get around to showing QPR''s game, and they''re top of the bloody league! Instead they concentrate on the ''celebrity'' teams - Roy Keane''s Ipswich, Leeds (Champions of Europe) United, etc.As chicken says, its much better to wait until the full highlights are up online instead...Incidentally, does anyone know what happened to Late Kick Off? It was a terrible program, mostly, but at least they had extended highlights...

[quote user="Ghost of Davie Ross"]Yes Gerry Harrison is still alive! The poor man could not win in his Match of the Week days. Norwich supporters thought he favoured Ipswich and Ipswich supporters thought he favoured Norwich![/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_NT78P1Gdg

3:10 in is a brief history of MOW. First ever game was "we only hate Wolves and ipswich"!

Check out the credits at the end[;)]

I don''t really see the problem with FLS.  True, the emails and texts bit is totally pointless and a waste of time but I don''t think Claridge is as bad as a lot of people make him out to be (Leroy Rosenior is useless though and the sooner they get shot of him the better).  And remember that they do have 72 clubs to fit in somehow, it''s not an easy task and not like Match of the Day where typically they only have to show highlights from six or seven games on a Saturday.  There is more to football than Norwich City and I think we''ve done okay out of them in any case - we were the main game four times last season I think (not bad considering we were in League One) and we''ve already been the featured game once this time around.  I always sit up and watch it because I enjoy it - it''s a lot better than anything ITV could come up with.

They share the coverage out over the season and to be fair to them we have done quite well so far this season given our place as "only" a promoted side.

As for lets give the Championship more time, no one was saying that last year when we got some decent coverage.

We get more coverage than lesser supported sides but not as much as the perceived "big" clubs.

That''s life folks be it work, romance, or how quick you get served in Queen of Iceni - it isn''t fair !

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I don''t really see the problem with FLS.  True, the emails and texts bit is totally pointless and a waste of time but I don''t think Claridge is as bad as a lot of people make him out to be (Leroy Rosenior is useless though and the sooner they get shot of him the better).  And remember that they do have 72 clubs to fit in somehow, it''s not an easy task and not like Match of the Day where typically they only have to show highlights from six or seven games on a Saturday.  There is more to football than Norwich City and I think we''ve done okay out of them in any case - we were the main game four times last season I think (not bad considering we were in League One) and we''ve already been the featured game once this time around.  I always sit up and watch it because I enjoy it - it''s a lot better than anything ITV could come up with.
[/quote]

they actually only have to fit in 36 games [;)]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Incidentally, does anyone know what happened to Late Kick Off? It was a terrible program, mostly, but at least they had extended highlights...[/quote]I read somewhere it''s coming back in January - "late" in more ways than one.

Why do the "highlights"of every game seem to include some players getting off the team bus or the players running out of the tunnel , or even a few seconds worth of feverish activity from outside the ground including a fan shouting COME ON into the camera.

It''s like the crap stocking filler you get before the real present............a couple of months early I know but "not long now"

it''s to pander to the ''happy clappies'' who go for the ''experience''

the less of that football stuff the better

maybe they could feature a few interviews with the mascots (kids) and show pictures of them with the players as well

They can''t do all 36 matches properly every week as that would be a massive outlay on cameras, filmcrew, technicians and studio production. Its a difficult job to do, they need to balance the desires of the bigger clubs with the larger fanbase as that makes up a larger share of the audience against the need to show those teams at the top and those at the bottom, those who produce an upset and those who bang in a hatful. There are faults with the programme but unlike MoTD, which only has a few games to feature, they have to please everyone which is just about impossible. I would imagine that with budget constraints its unlikely to change much either.

[quote user="City1st"]it''s to pander to the ''happy clappies'' who go for the ''experience''

the less of that football stuff the better

maybe they could feature a few interviews with the mascots (kids) and show pictures of them with the players as well[/quote]If you don''t go for the experience what else is it? New windows to lick?