Sign in to follow this  
mickfoot

Drinkell's goal against Liverpool April 87

I''ve just noticed he''s releasing his autobiography soon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Drinks-Round-Autobiography-Kevin-Drinkell/dp/1845023277

I didn''t know about the book so thanks for posting Mick.

As for the goal, I doubt you will find it online. Can you remember if the game was on TV?

That goal was significant ''cause it stopped the scousers saying they''d never lost when Rush scored[:)]

It is on a BBC Match of the Day video written and narrated by Motson. Whether the video is still available - or a DVD version - I don''t know. It didn''t show up on a very quick Amazon search, but it was a very quick search.

that was a great goal and I remember it well , was always good to beat Liverpool then , I loved Drinkell as a player so the autobiography should be good , even if it concentrates on his Rangers career which looking at the cover it would look like it does

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Can you remember if the game was on TV?

[/quote]

I''m pretty sure it was a Saturday game and I went to it on a school trip so it was probably on MOTD. We won 2-1 with Trevor Putney getting the other one if I remember correctly.

It was definitely a saturday game, but dont think it was on tele, had a season ticket in the old south stand with my dad then and remember when rush scored for Liverpool most of the seats around us were full of Liverpool fans ! drinkell scored in the last min i think, fantastic finish ! if you get any joy finding a copy please post a link as would love to watch it again.

wasn''t that in the days of when ian rush scores liverpool never lose ? the week before arsenal put an end to that little proverb then we played them and absolutely put it to bed [:D]

[quote user="pennywise "]wasn''t that in the days of when ian rush scores liverpool never lose ? the week before arsenal put an end to that little proverb then we played them and absolutely put it to bed [:D][/quote]

Ah yes, I remember it well. Happy memories.

I''ve just noticed he''s releasing his autobiography soon.

Just in case the young Nanna comes on to this board  - remember Nov 2nd is fast approaching [:)][Y]

Thanks for the information Mickfoot.

It was definitely on MoTD. It was the only game I missed that season (had to go to my sisters wedding!) and dragged my wife home early to watch it. You don''t forget an ear bashing of that magnitude.

[quote user="mickfoot"]Anybody know of any pictures or videos online of Drinkell''s winner against Liverpool at home in April 87?

Cheers[/quote]

It''s available anytime - in my mind''s eye.

I was stood behind the goal and can still see it going in now. We never beat Liverpool at Carra and to do it with a late goal as good as that was special.

Anyone remember going up to Anfield in 89 and beating them 1-0 with a Townsend goal?

I got so carried away, I bought the official game video from the club shop even though the game itself was crap. It cost me about £15 for the poorest 60 minutes of highlights ever!

there may have been a photo of it in the Pink''un/EDP at the time. Have you tried contacting Archant?

Just a quick word on Kevin Drinkell''s biography.

There is a fair chunk of his book about his time at Norwich - don''t let the Rangers cover put you off! 

There is a twin cover - one with his Norwich strip for England and another with his Rangers top for the Scottish market. 

The publishers, for some reason, have only put up the Scottish cover up on Amazon.

So apologies

Yeh, the goal is on the MOTD video about Norwich''s history.  I have it somewhere in a box in the loft!  Probably get one off ebay if you keep looking. 

Rush had scored first and Liverpool lost the week before our game, but that was the Littlewoods Cup final.  Our game was the first time it had happened to them in the league.  Drinks scored in something like the 87th minute.  I clearly remember Gunny kicking a drop-kiick as far as he possibly could into the River End/City Stand corner of the pitch to waste time.  Great memories, I''m just gutted that there doesn''t seem to be any videos/DVD''s out there that shows goals from our golden 1985-1988 period (the first official season video was 88/89).  Our history highlights the first year of the Premiership and our European campaign, which was of course fantastic, but the 6 years previous to that was equally spectacular but less remembered (if it wasn''t for the European ban who knows what may have happened as we qualified for Europe 3 times before 1993.

Remember the last few minutes of that game well. Loads of people were leaving the River End towards the end at 0-1 and came rushing back in when it was 1-1. Loads then left again thinking we had nicked a point (of course it was long before the days of having the board shown by the fourth official so nobody knew how much time was left) and there was a huge crush when the second goal went in. Me and my dad went flying down the River End about ten steps. I was only 12 and pretty scared and in the post Hillsborough world it now seems incredible that nobody got badly injured

Roger Gibbins scored some truly superb goals for City..... yet he seems almost forgotten.Seldom a tap-in... always a gem.

'' wasn''t that in the days of when ian rush scores liverpool never lose ? the week before arsenal put an end to that little proverb then we played them and absolutely put it to bed ''

Yeah, Arsenal beat them in the league cup final on the Sunday, which my Dad (a gooner) took me too, then my Uncle (a city fan and the reason for my following) took me to the Liverpool game and I witnessed the Rush record being broken twice.

[quote user="DENKO"]'' wasn''t that in the days of when ian rush scores liverpool never lose ? the week before arsenal put an end to that little proverb then we played them and absolutely put it to bed ''

Yeah, Arsenal beat them in the league cup final on the Sunday, which my Dad (a gooner) took me too, then my Uncle (a city fan and the reason for my following) took me to the Liverpool game and I witnessed the Rush record being broken twice.[/quote]Can''t comment on the goal as I never saw it, but Dag Nasty!!?? Awesome. I''m a bit of a Dischord fan myself.