Sign in to follow this  
open goal

In January

so i was thinking about this earlier today. If by some miracle (possibility with Lambert in charge) we are still 4th (or in the top 6) come January what position would you like to see us spend Big on. Im guessing funds would be made available for a push so lets say the board come up with 1.5M quid.

Would you A get 4 or 5 in as just in case someone got injured

B- Get one fantastic player in (I.e Hucks)

Or C get a couple of good players in to help with back up?

I think id have to go for B. One fantastic player. Maybe a striker or maybe even a defender. The thing is, our boys seem to be doing so well right now. You wouldn''t want to replace any of them.

Interested in your thoughts...

OTBC

[quote user="open goal"]so i was thinking about this earlier today. If by some miracle (possibility with Lambert in charge) we are still 4th (or in the top 6) come January what position would you like to see us spend Big on. Im guessing funds would be made available for a push so lets say the board come up with 1.5M quid.

Would you A get 4 or 5 in as just in case someone got injured

B- Get one fantastic player in (I.e Hucks)

Or C get a couple of good players in to help with back up?

I think id have to go for B. One fantastic player. Maybe a striker or maybe even a defender. The thing is, our boys seem to be doing so well right now. You wouldn''t want to replace any of them.

Interested in your thoughts...

OTBC[/quote]

I would get one quality player in. We''re one quality player from a quality squad. We have lot''s of good players but none stand out, so yeah, a quality championship player please [:)]

We''re not in a position to spend that kind of money, perhaps if we''re in a position to push for promotion the board will find the money if Lambert wants to bring in 1 particularl player but it certainly won''t be close to the £1.5m mark on top of signing on fees and wages. Players will have to leave first if Lambert wants to bring people in, our squad is large and the club simply can''t afford to be paying players who have absolutely no chance of featuring in the side.Leon Barnett is out of contract at WBA in the summer so should be available for a cut-down price in January but it all depends on his wage demands and whether we''re able to move on 1 of the centre backs on the staff, whether it be Nelson, Askou or Whitbread.

Far too early to worry about that now.

However, when the time comes, I''d prefer to move OTJ/Gill/etc on, and bring in 2 or 3 solid players who add to the squad.

I like the balance we''ve got now. I''d rather have a team of good, reliable players than one littered with so-called ''stars''.

[quote user="urdie_Canary"]Give me an example of a player now who we could buy / loan who is the standard of huckerby[/quote]But Huckerby was a gamble because although we knew what we thought we were getting, how many times have we seen big names come to our club and then be past it, or not put the effort in?  Happily Huckerby was one of the good ones.  So with hindsight, yes it''s hard to do that.  But in terms of players who *could be* the standard of Huckerby, there will be some available - particularly now the Prem clubs have the 25 man squad rule, meaning fringe players get loaned out more frequently.

That all really supposes that nothing else has happened - which is highly unlikely

Has that 4th place been achieved by a mediocre team who have got back a few suspended injured players and have then won 7 in a row ?

Is it a tean who has been in the top two until just after Xmas then has lost games because of suspension/injuries ?

Until you know then any speculation is ridiculous

Rather like saying if a major war broke out in January 2011 which side would be right.

With Askou, Dawkin, Drury, Francomb, Gill, Habergham, Hoolahan, Lappin, and Nelson out of contract at the end of the season PL''s got to take new contract offers into account. On the other hand there will be plenty of scope to refresh the squad should he decide many of these don''t get new offers. Could be an interesting transfer window in January especially as our Chief Scout is supposed to be working on that and the summer 2011 window since joining this season from Rangers.

Still think that we are going to need another striking option before the season is through.  Goals get you out of this division and i''m not sure we are capable of scoring enough

Holty, Martin etc aren''t exactly banging them in from all angles at the moment and injuries/suspensions will take their toll at some point

So if we are floating around the top 6 come January. I''d like to see Lambert finding the money to bring in another forward- Someone like Ranger from Newcastle on loan would be perfect

[quote user="open goal"]so i was thinking about this earlier today. If by some miracle (possibility with Lambert in charge) we are still 4th (or in the top 6) come January what position would you like to see us spend Big on. Im guessing funds would be made available for a push so lets say the board come up with 1.5M quid. Would you A get 4 or 5 in as just in case someone got injured B- Get one fantastic player in (I.e Hucks) Or C get a couple of good players in to help with back up? I think id have to go for B. One fantastic player. Maybe a striker or maybe even a defender. The thing is, our boys seem to be doing so well right now. You wouldn''t want to replace any of them. Interested in your thoughts... OTBC[/quote]

The only problem with that is if that great / expensive player gets injured, you''re back to square one.