Sign in to follow this  
Shyster

Lambo - you anus!

What have I been saying for what seems like a millennium already? Last season we lacked pace in the squad, but the diamond that caters for slower players (specifically slower and less technically gifted players of Third tier standards) came good, predominantly in the first half of said season -- we all know what happened in the latter stages of that season; the diamond was sussed by the opposition in return encounters and more often than not, we had to revert to a 4-4-2 involving McNamee coming on to inject pace and goals that arguably garnered the 9 to11 points that secured promotion.A lesson learned one would''ve thought, but no - all bleedin'' close season and the beginning of this one and here we are, still, with one fu*king player who is fleet of foot! And that in a Division that has always required pace.What do we do now when we inevitably have to revert to a flat 4-4-2, Lambo? Surman''s injured; not a speedy player, but wouldn''t it be fantastic if we had at least another skillful and pacey wide man to replace him on either wing and play the opposing flank to McNamee?  We''re yet to play a form side this season, and I''m far from confident with the strategy that entails McNamee coming off the bench as the sole impact player to bolster a lop-sided and makeshift 4-4-2 when the diamond has once again faltered.

Sorry - didn''t realise playing the diamond formation has only led us to a disappointing 6th place in the league.

Which teams sussed us out last season exactly?

[quote user="Shyster"]the diamond has once again faltered.[/quote]The same diamond that had us dominating the game today?The same diamond that had us dominating the games at Scunny & Forest?Yet again you''ve produced the same flawed argument.

[quote user="morty"]Remind me, we won and gained 3 points today, didn''t we?[/quote]

Yes, morty, and I''m hugely pleased about that, but you really have to look further than the end of your arm.We''re only five games into the season and apart from Watford, Doncaster are the only form side and sternest opposition we will meet to date.I''m sure you''d agree that it''d be a bastard shame to see us balls up a good beginning to the campaign through Lambo''s lack of foresight? 

We haven''t played a bad team either!

The diamond keeps things tight and sets up the change - which has worked well - and means teams have a problem how to set up for us.

Today we were fitter and ground Barnsley down. A sign of fitness is that after 70 minutes fit players begin to get stronger and we saw the Tykes going the other way.

If it were the other way round can you imagine us switching to a more conservative diamond after 60 minutes in order to win the game....I think not.

Stupid thread!

[quote user="Shyster"]I''m sure you''d agree that it''d be a bastard shame to see us balls up a good beginning to the campaign through Lambo''s lack of foresight?  [/quote]I''m struggling here, which lack of foresight are you suggesting?The lack of foresight where Lambert has twice changed the system at home(Swansea & Barnsley) to a 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 with Martin & McNamee outwide & Hoolahan/Jackson up top with Holt?Or the foresight at Forest when Lambert tweaked the diamond slightly, pushing Smith & Surman wider & Hoolahan deeper, so that we could double up on the dangerous Forest wide men?

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Shyster"]the diamond has once again faltered.
[/quote]

The same diamond that had us dominating the game today?
The same diamond that had us dominating the games at Scunny & Forest?

Yet again you''ve produced the same flawed argument.
[/quote]

Sorry for being a dick but we played 4-4-2 against Forest as Lambert said this in an interview.

Oh and we didn''t score until reverting to 4-4-2.

But other than that I agree with your post. [;)]

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]We haven''t played a bad team either!

The diamond keeps things tight and sets up the change - which has worked well - and means teams have a problem how to set up for us.

Today we were fitter and ground Barnsley down. A sign of fitness is that after 70 minutes fit players begin to get stronger and we saw the Tykes going the other way.

If it were the other way round can you imagine us switching to a more conservative diamond after 60 minutes in order to win the game....I think not.

Stupid thread![/quote]

Keep things tight! I''ll tell you what isn''t tight, the incredibly loose ring-piece that''s suddenly become your mouth - or has it always been that way?How about us coming out of the stocks like fu*king greyhounds, securing a lead, then reverting to a ''tight'' and defensive diamond?

[quote]

Sorry for being a dick but we played 4-4-2 against Forest as Lambert said this in an interview.

Oh and we didn''t score until reverting to 4-4-2.

But other than that I agree with your post. [;)]

[/quote]You

haven''t read what i''ve written, I said Lambert pushed Smith &

Surman wider at Forest and Hoolahan deeper to counteract Forest''s

wingers, it was a 4-4-2 but still a diamond of sorts,  just a lot

flatter and wider.I''ve also said he changed the system today to

a 4-4-2 and got the goals, but we did start with the diamond and

dominated for the majority of the first half.

[quote user="Shyster"]How about us coming out of the stocks like fu*king greyhounds, securing a lead, then reverting to a ''tight'' and defensive diamond?[/quote]We did come out the better side today by all accounts dominated the first half but conceded a sloppy goal from a set piece. You''re very naive if you believe coming out from the first whistle all out attack leaving yourself very exposed at the other end is the way to set up. It''s a case of coming out looking to score but being solid & organised, as the game goes on, space will open up and the more expressive players come into their own, we''re clearly a very fit side and can punish teams late on.Why set yourself up vulnerably?

[quote user="Shyster"]Given the option of pace on the left I''m adamant

we could get automatically promoted, but if we continue with the

''cracked diamond'' I''m equally certain we''ll finish outside the

play-offs.[/quote]Positively sage like.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="morty"]Remind me, we won and gained 3 points today, didn''t we?[/quote]

Yes, morty, and I''m hugely pleased about that, but you really have to look further than the end of your arm.We''re only five games into the season and apart from Watford, Doncaster are the only form side and sternest opposition we will meet to date.I''m sure you''d agree that it''d be a bastard shame to see us balls up a good beginning to the campaign through Lambo''s lack of foresight?  [/quote]Did it sound poor on the radio?[;)]We played averagely, against a team that has started the campaign well, tweaked it a little and won.No need to over analyse / complicate old chap.Surely his foresight was to change it when it needed it?[:)]

[quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Shyster"]Given the option of pace on the left I''m adamant

play-offs.[/quote]Positively sage like. [/quote]

Thanks for the compliment - for it was indeed the option of pace on the left in the form of McNamee that secured promotion last season? [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Shyster"]Given the option of pace on the left I''m adamant

play-offs.[/quote]Positively sage like. [/quote]

Thanks for the compliment - for it was indeed the option of pace on the left in the form of McNamee that secured promotion last season? [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img][/quote]No, it wasn''t.

Bet you a quid you weren''t there today Shyster.Armchair supporters...don''t ya just love ''em? [:D]

[quote user="Shyster"]We all know what happened in the latter stages of that season; the diamond was sussed by the opposition in return encounters and more often than not, we had to revert to a 4-4-2 involving McNamee coming on to inject pace and goals that arguably garnered the 9 to11 points that secured promotion.[/quote]Of course the two to three month period that saw the diamond sweep all before it had nothing to do with securing promotion [;)]I''ve always agreed with your point that we need more pace in the side overall though  [:D]

[quote user="supercol"]So Shyster, what football teams have you managed ?[/quote]

Haha great shout supercol, hes getting a bit leary too, Looking forward to shyster''s managerial stint at the club with his beloved 4-4-2 getting us automatically promoted :D

LAMBERT OUT!

[quote user="KING OF N P"]

[quote user="supercol"]So Shyster, what football teams have you managed ?[/quote]

Haha great shout supercol, hes getting a bit leary too, Looking forward to shyster''s managerial stint at the club with his beloved 4-4-2 getting us automatically promoted :D

LAMBERT OUT!

[/quote]You evidently missed his stint as England manager...If Lambert''s an anus, then Shyster is a veritable anus mirabilis ...

Why oh why do imbeciles like you think that you know better than Lambert. You really are a tw@t.Have you ever experienced a whole season before?  I believe you think the season ends in October.

[quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]How do you feel now Shyster, you spamhead?[/quote]

What I pointed out quite clearly with this thread was the fact that we can''t revert to a 4-4-2 or any other Plan B that''s going to be effective without additional  pace in the squad other than McNamee - and I certainly never suggested fielding the former and Hoolahan in the same starting line up - what a dubious decision that proved to be.And if you think Lappin in for McNamee within a diamond would''ve garnered us a better result against Doncaster yesterday, think again.Lambert has at least proved that he''s a man of his word - he''s stated previously that a player has to earn the right to play in the starting eleven and sure enough McNamee started against Doncaster - I personally wouldn''t have gone with that decision because of the reasons I''ve stated previously, but I have to give Lambert credit for keeping to his word - fielding form players makes the whole squad and especially fringe players more competitive, so it''s great where morale is concerned [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] utterly useless when it comes to tactics though [:P]

Pace would have helped, but Surman would have spread the play better and given the slower players more time to pick the second pass.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="RUDOLPH HUCKER"]How do you feel now Shyster, you spamhead?[/quote]

What I pointed out quite clearly with this thread was the fact that we can''t revert to a 4-4-2 or any other Plan B that''s going to be effective without additional  pace in the squad other than McNamee - and I certainly never suggested fielding the former and Hoolahan in the same starting line up - what a dubious decision that proved to be.

And if you think Lappin in for McNamee within a diamond would''ve garnered us a better result against Doncaster yesterday, think again.

Lambert has at least proved that he''s a man of his word - he''s stated previously that a player has to earn the right to play in the starting eleven and sure enough McNamee started against Doncaster - I personally wouldn''t have gone with that decision because of the reasons I''ve stated previously, but I have to give Lambert credit for keeping to his word - fielding form players makes the whole squad and especially fringe players more competitive, so it''s great where morale is concerned [img]http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img] utterly useless when it comes to tactics though [:P]
[/quote]

I appreciate I have the knowledge of what did happen but coupled with the initial post these two posts have got to be close to the worse ever posts on here. Thank heavens Lambert understands football and how to win games. If Lambert should move on one day please dont bother applying for the job Shyster. The last time we were seriously playing 442 we were relegated as are most teams that use this system in the modern game.