Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

How the hell can hoolahan not make the R.O.I Squad?

Keep it that way.

He''s a City player, we pay his wages and we don''t need him wasting his time with mickey mouse football.

Any idea why so mnay top managers find sudden injuries to keep their players away from such buffoonery.

Probably because there is still some doubt as to whether he is too small - getting knocked off the ball too easily - and plays either very well or very crap (giving the ball away) with often no in between.  Whether Treacy and Green are any better is open to doubt

If Hoolahan plays like we know he can then he''ll get picked. 

treacy is a good player on loan to PNE, he is a good solid player and not someone who is a liability like hoolahan. R.O.I tend to look for consistant and solid midfielders than those who may cause more problems for his own team than the opposition.

I suspect that one of the main reasons is that Trappatoni isn''t prepared to build the system around him in the way that Lambert has. Wes has done a great job for us, but I''m sure that you''d accept that he doesn''t really work in anything other than the diamond.

[quote user="missing in action?"]treacy is a good player on loan to PNE, he is a good solid player and not someone who is a liability like hoolahan. R.O.I tend to look for consistant and solid midfielders than those who may cause more problems for his own team than the opposition.

Somebody hold me up, There are some crazy comments on here sometimes but to suggest hoolahan is a liabillity who causes more problems to his on team beats the lot.

[quote user="missing in action?"]treacy is a good player on loan to PNE, he is a good solid player and not someone who is a liability like hoolahan. R.O.I tend to look for consistant and solid midfielders than those who may cause more problems for his own team than the opposition.

Somebody hold me up, There are some crazy comments on here sometimes but to suggest hoolahan is a liabillity who causes more problems to his on team beats the lot.

Paul Green & Keith Treacy don''t play in the same position as Wes for a start so that point has no validity.Hoolahan can''t be far away from selection, he has to have a few weeks of consistently good displays in the Championship though before he''s selected.With both Stephen Ireland & Andy Reid falling out with Trappatoni, Ireland are lacking that creative playmaker but I think Trappatoni wants them to be tough down the spine of the side first and foremost hence the selection of Green, Andrews, Fahey and Whelan in midfield.

[quote user="Beauseant"]I suspect that one of the main reasons is that Trappatoni isn''t prepared to build the system around him in the way that Lambert has. Wes has done a great job for us, but I''m sure that you''d accept that he doesn''t really work in anything other than the diamond.[/quote]

Hoolahan is unpredictable but is unique and offer''s somthing different from any other player. Paul Green on the other hand is just a shite footballer for a shite team! I appreciate it probally benefits norwich more having him away from the international scene but i think the guy deserves it. I also would like to see how he performs against and alongside Premiership players.

Most of you lot that put Wes down have no idea. Someone put it perfectly on another thread...The reason he doesn''t look as good at home, is because teams just sit behind the ball at Carrow Road. Away from home, they go for it as they want to win infront of their own fans. If you slate Hoolahan, clearly you don''t go to away games. It''s always going to be harder at home against a 10 man defence...

[quote user="Barclay hero"]

Probably because there is still some doubt as to whether he is too small - getting knocked off the ball too easily - and plays either very well or very crap (giving the ball away) with often no in between.  Whether Treacy and Green are any better is open to doubt

If Hoolahan plays like we know he can then he''ll get picked. 

[/quote]Well said [Y]The jury is very much out on whether Wes can consistently perform in the Championship, let alone at international level.I personally think that he has been one of the weaker links in our side so far this season and would be tempted to try either Hughes, McNamee or Fox at the tip of the diamond unless Wes raises his game.Of course it is all too easy for the majority of fans to knock the likes of Russell Martin and some of the newer players than level any criticism at all at players who have been at the club for a couple of years or so.

Was watching the Republic play Armenia when they struggled to a 1-0 win. They were crying out for some creativity in that match. I just think he would be a useful sub for Trappatoni to throw on in such situations.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

[/quote]Hoolahan is a creative player certainly but he will lose the ball at times and given his stature, pace and tackling abilities he just isn''t up to the standard of international football and even against some Championship sides he will be nulified. As someone else said. ROI cannot build a system around a player such as hoolahan when given the other players at his disposal.

[quote user="Beauseant"]I suspect that one of the main reasons is that Trappatoni isn''t prepared to build the system around him in the way that Lambert has. Wes has done a great job for us, but I''m sure that you''d accept that he doesn''t really work in anything other than the diamond.[/quote]

End of discussion!