Sign in to follow this  
First Jedi

What the hell does the Press Association have to do with awarding goals...?

Mis-reporting is one thing - happens all the time, but what has the PA got to do with officially "awarding" a goal or not? Surely that is down to the FA and the referee not a antiquated news aggregator...

Pete?

The Press Association are responsible for updates from all grounds - they''re behind the live updates service you''ll see on the BBC site and other nationals, and the goal updates at the bottom of Sky Sports News - a service we were asked to buy into during the whole DataCo farce in the summer. You can see why we politely declined....

Bookmakers also use the press association. If you look at their rules for goal scorers ie first goal scorer you will note it is as declared by the press association. I remember an occasion last year when Fabregas was scoring for fun and he scored first from a deflected free kick in a champions league game. The press assoc gave it as an own goal, but there was such an outcry that book makers had to pay out on Fabregas. 

And their knowledge of the teams playing in a game is second to none....72:51 Wesley Hoolahan has a volleyed shot. Save by John Ruddy.

[quote user="Sports Desk Pete"]And their knowledge of the teams playing in a game is second to none....

72:51 Wesley Hoolahan has a volleyed shot. Save by John Ruddy.
[/quote]

What was wrong with that Pete, that was the shot that Wes hit so hard, it hit the crossbar rebounded in the air picked up by a 100 mph gust of wind spotted by Ruddy coming out of the sun, who managed to react and claw it away from the top corner just as described by the pa  

"The Press Association are responsible for updates from all grounds - they''re behind the live updates service you''ll see on the BBC site and other nationals, and the goal updates at the bottom of Sky Sports News - a service we were asked to buy into during the whole DataCo farce in the summer. You can see why we politely declined...."

Yeah - but what I''m saying is - in terms of Tudor Jones officially being awarded the goal - surely that comes from the referee and goes to the Football Ass.?

I know the PA are responsible for the general level of (pathetic) coverage for news sites in general.... that isn''t news in itself!

Ultimately - who give a $hit what the PA think, if the Football Association credit the correct people?

Or does the PA have the official say in reporting to the Football Ass.?

[quote user="First Jedi"]"The Press Association are responsible for updates from all grounds - they''re behind the live updates service you''ll see on the BBC site and other nationals, and the goal updates at the bottom of Sky Sports News - a service we were asked to buy into during the whole DataCo farce in the summer. You can see why we politely declined...." Yeah - but what I''m saying is - in terms of Tudor Jones officially being awarded the goal - surely that comes from the referee and goes to the Football Ass.? I know the PA are responsible for the general level of (pathetic) coverage for news sites in general.... that isn''t news in itself! Ultimately - who give a $hit what the PA think, if the Football Association credit the correct people? Or does the PA have the official say in reporting to the Football Ass.?[/quote]

Anyone betting on a goalscorer in the game would have an interest as it is only their opinion that counts for bookmakers 

"Anyone betting on a goalscorer in the game would have an interest as it is only their opinion that counts for bookmakers"

Again agreed - but Tudor Jones who "wants his goal back" probably wasn''t betting... so....?

Just to make myself clear;

Better loses £10k after PA error = story

FA get it right, but PA get it wrong, no quotes from OTJ actually showing he gives a to$$ = slow news day

if OTJ actually said it himself, the rest of the team wouldn''t be too pleased really....its probably seen as too selfish (you always get these players who come out and say, i would rather the team did well than personal goals...which is a load of crap, they want to look as good as possible, which most often means being in a successful team...)

Referees match reports should be the only evidence the Press association use to award goals etc! wait till the monday after the game!

Thats a point, in our last home game, did anyone notice, the ref just waved the yellow card at someone (think it was a Norwich player), then just carried on? without writting it down anywhere.....how did he remember who he booked? (i think he did it twice as well...)

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Thats a point, in our last home game, did anyone notice, the ref just waved the yellow card at someone (think it was a Norwich player), then just carried on? without writting it down anywhere.....how did he remember who he booked? (i think he did it twice as well...)[/quote]ask Graham Poll... lol

As I understand it, the referee is only there to ensure that the match takes place in accordance with the rules of the game, and reports back the final score and the names of any players given cards during the game, plus any other relevant incidents etc. which the authorities might need to know about. It is not part of the referee''s job to "award" goals to individual players - he only has to record which team scored the goal.The Press Association reports are used as a reasonably impartial record of individual goal scorers by anybody who needs to know, e.g. bookmakers, and the people who give out the "Golden Boot" awards at the end of the season. However I don''t think these reports have any "official" status, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this.

Power Hamster - cheers dude - that is very interesting...! I''m honestly shocked tho...

I''d definitely thought that Golden Boots were official and that it would require the ref to report on that - cheers for the clear up.