Sign in to follow this  
Tangible Fixed Assets anyone?

Well done to the our under 18s

Worth a discussion.  It wasn''t too long ago, fans weren''t very happy how our youth was developing.  It now looks we have one or two decent prospects.  Josh Dawkin sounds like he''s coming on nicely.

There is a list of a few quality players coming through now including Dawkin, Francomb, Florence (Turkish triallist), Gordon and especially Drmola (although he''s now out for the season).

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

Crofts'' Number 1 Fan   -  Drmola (although he''s now out for the season).

Whats happened to Dromola?

[/quote]Drmola injured his knee, out for the season. It''s a real shame, an injury like that at this stage in his career could finish it before it even starts. Hope he can get back up and running (literally) asap, apparently he''s a real talent.

I have been following the Under 18''s this season and notice they have signed a second year scholar from West Ham. He has scored 2 against Lowestoft last week, got a nice opening goal against Birmingham last Sat and then got the winner against MK Dons yesterday.

His name is Jack Werndly.

[quote user="Youth Team Follower"]I have been following the Under 18''s this season and notice they have signed a second year scholar from West Ham. He has scored 2 against Lowestoft last week, got a nice opening goal against Birmingham last Sat and then got the winner against MK Dons yesterday.

His name is Jack Werndly.[/quote]

Lowestoft? When did youth team play them please?

[quote user="Å¿illy Å¿auÅ¿age"]Worth a discussion.  It wasn''t too long ago, fans weren''t very happy how our youth was developing.  It now looks we have one or two decent prospects.  Josh Dawkin sounds like he''s coming on nicely.
[/quote]

Since when, dont Martin, Smith, Rudd, Adeyami, Spillane ect not count ? Our youth system has always been superb.

[quote user="MrFruit"][quote user="Youth Team Follower"]I have been following the Under 18''s this season and notice they have signed a second year scholar from West Ham. He has scored 2 against Lowestoft last week, got a nice opening goal against Birmingham last Sat and then got the winner against MK Dons yesterday. His name is Jack Werndly.[/quote] Lowestoft? When did youth team play them please?[/quote]

I beleive they payed Lowestoft under 16s ( may have been under 18s ) one night last week or the week before.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]Our youth system has always been superb.[/quote]Not sure which rock you were under a few years ago, other than Shackell nobody had come through successfully in years, Henderson & Jarvis both flattered to decieve before moving on as did Martin & Spillane.But thankfully things have picked up again recently and Martin in particularly has finally come good and fulfilled that early potential. Korey, Rudd and others are also looking like terrific prospects.

[quote user="Lambert is King"]

[quote user="MrFruit"][quote user="Youth Team Follower"]I have been following the Under 18''s this season and notice they have signed a second year scholar from West Ham. He has scored 2 against Lowestoft last week, got a nice opening goal against Birmingham last Sat and then got the winner against MK Dons yesterday. His name is Jack Werndly.[/quote] Lowestoft? When did youth team play them please?[/quote]

I beleive they payed Lowestoft under 16s ( may have been under 18s ) one night last week or the week before.

[/quote]Are you quite sure about any of the above?

The likes of Martin Smith ect have been with the club 12- 14 years so I would suggest that is you that has been behind a stone. These players dont just appear at 16 for the local kids the work starts when they are 5 - 6 years old, todays products are that of 12 years ago.   

[quote user="Lambert is King"]The likes of Martin Smith ect have been with the club 12- 14 years so I would suggest that is you that has been behind a stone. These players dont just appear at 16 for the local kids the work starts when they are 5 - 6 years old, todays products are that of 12 years ago.   [/quote]No s**t sherlock!So how many players have successfully come through after Shackell 6 years ago but before Smith/Martin last season?Absolutely nobody, thats quite a barren period!

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

Are you quite sure about any of the above?
[/quote]

Yes, they played Lowestoft Town U16''s and our U18''s won 10 - 1. Lambert was there watching.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"][quote user="Lambert is King"]The likes of Martin Smith ect have been with the club 12- 14 years so I would suggest that is you that has been behind a stone. These players dont just appear at 16 for the local kids the work starts when they are 5 - 6 years old, todays products are that of 12 years ago.   [/quote]

No s**t sherlock!

So how many players have successfully come through after Shackell 6 years ago but before Smith/Martin last season?

Absolutely nobody, thats quite a barren period!
[/quote]

You would be saying the same now had we not been relegated to league 1. None of our managers after Worthington and until Gunn / Lambert would have considered playing the kids and therefore the likes of Martin Adeyami Smith ect would have really struggled to make it at Norwich. Under Lambert kids are given the chance, consequently other kids see a better oppurtunity of playing professional football. We now have squads at various levels with international representtion, our goalkeepers being a good example Rudd Steer and Gunn are all England internationals ( yes Gunn does play for England). The same person is in charge of youth development now as was in the so called baron spell. The clubs youth policy has always been excellent the managers selection of that youth should really be your question. Gill would have been produced as a local kid in the baron times you speak of but he went elsewhere for a better chance of professional football.  

To be fair I don''t think the whole lack of youth in the baron years can be blamed on managers not giving them a chance as I believe if they were good enough they would have played.

Other than Hayes I can''t think of any youth players we have let go that has gone on to play at our level (whatever that may have been at the time) or higher?

We had plenty of good kids during the Robert Chase years...... but then that was just a coincidence I suppose........

Korey Smith hasn''t actually been with the club all that time. I think he came when he was 16. Prior to that, as a schoolboy, he was with Arsenal. That''s the new rules for ya! But, I guess since Arsenal started filling their academy with foreigners they release some good youngsters at that age. Similarly I believe Francomb was a schoolboy with Spurs.

We now have a Turkish contingent in our ranks, they are quite good so I''m told[Y]

Where did we get these Turkish lads from?Just through scouts,or do we have a link with a team out there?

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]We had plenty of good kids during the Robert Chase years...... but then that was just a coincidence I suppose........
[/quote]

That was the great Gordon Bennet''s doing. 

[quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]We had plenty of good kids during the Robert Chase years...... but then that was just a coincidence I suppose........[/quote]

[/quote]Yes indeed. Alot has changed I know but it all seemed to fall away after Duncan Forbes and his network were unceremonially put out to grass. Stuart Morgan who follows Redknapp around as scout still manages to find them so they are still out there somewhere.

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"]We had plenty of good kids during the Robert Chase years...... but then that was just a coincidence I suppose........[/quote]

[/quote]Yes indeed. Alot has changed I know but it all seemed to fall away after Duncan Forbes and his network were unceremonially put out to grass. Stuart Morgan who follows Redknapp around as scout still manages to find them so they are still out there somewhere.[/quote]And more important than anything, the entire youth setup changed in the late nineties meaning we aren''t able to recruit across the country. The problems of our youth system, and many youth systems that are in rural areas or who''s catchment area covers large areas of the sea, are down to this - not particularly bad administrative or staffing problems, even managerial decisions. We can''t go to Wales and pick up a Craig Bellamy these days - we''ve got to rely on kids within a certain radius of Norwich.

[quote user="Youth Team Follower"]I have been following the Under 18''s this season and notice they have signed a second year scholar from West Ham. He has scored 2 against Lowestoft last week, got a nice opening goal against Birmingham last Sat and then got the winner against MK Dons yesterday.

His name is Jack Werndly.[/quote]As it goes, this chap scored against Norwich reserves for West Ham reserves last year: http://www.canaries.co.uk/page/Reserves/0,,10355~1876908,00.htmlLooking him up, he certainly seems to have an eye for goal. Got any other info on the lad? How come he''s come to us from West Ham?

[quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Yes indeed. Alot has changed I know but it all seemed to fall away after Duncan Forbes and his network were unceremonially put out to grass. Stuart Morgan who follows Redknapp around as scout still manages to find them so they are still out there somewhere.[/quote]And more important than anything, the entire youth setup changed in the late nineties meaning we aren''t able to recruit across the country. The problems of our youth system, and many youth systems that are in rural areas or who''s catchment area covers large areas of the sea, are down to this - not particularly bad administrative or staffing problems, even managerial decisions. We can''t go to Wales and pick up a Craig Bellamy these days - we''ve got to rely on kids within a certain radius of Norwich. [/quote]Actually, Norwich bought Bellamy from Bristol City and there are plenty of ways to get around the catchment area issue. I doubt Turkey is within our catchment area but we have a few players from there playing for us at the moment.

[quote user="Go Wash Your Mouth Out Son"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Lambert is King"]

[/quote]

Are you quite sure about any of the above?
[/quote]

Yes, they played Lowestoft Town U16''s and our U18''s won 10 - 1. Lambert was there watching.[/quote]

I''m amazed that City U18s would be playing Lowestoft U16s - and to what end.

Are you quite, quite sure?

OTBC

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Yes indeed. Alot has changed I know but it all seemed to fall away after Duncan Forbes and his network were unceremonially put out to grass. Stuart Morgan who follows Redknapp around as scout still manages to find them so they are still out there somewhere.[/quote]And more important than anything, the entire youth setup changed in the late nineties meaning we aren''t able to recruit across the country. The problems of our youth system, and many youth systems that are in rural areas or who''s catchment area covers large areas of the sea, are down to this - not particularly bad administrative or staffing problems, even managerial decisions. We can''t go to Wales and pick up a Craig Bellamy these days - we''ve got to rely on kids within a certain radius of Norwich. [/quote]Actually, Norwich bought Bellamy from Bristol City and there are plenty of ways to get around the catchment area issue. I doubt Turkey is within our catchment area but we have a few players from there playing for us at the moment.[/quote]I would like to fully agree with your comments here... but London restrictions apply.I don''t make the rules.......

[quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"][quote user="thirdlion v2"][quote user="Cluckbert Chase"][quote user="The Butler"]

[/quote]Yes indeed. Alot has changed I know but it all seemed to fall away after Duncan Forbes and his network were unceremonially put out to grass. Stuart Morgan who follows Redknapp around as scout still manages to find them so they are still out there somewhere.[/quote]And more important than anything, the entire youth setup changed in the late nineties meaning we aren''t able to recruit across the country. The problems of our youth system, and many youth systems that are in rural areas or who''s catchment area covers large areas of the sea, are down to this - not particularly bad administrative or staffing problems, even managerial decisions. We can''t go to Wales and pick up a Craig Bellamy these days - we''ve got to rely on kids within a certain radius of Norwich. [/quote]Actually, Norwich bought Bellamy from Bristol City and there are plenty of ways to get around the catchment area issue. I doubt Turkey is within our catchment area but we have a few players from there playing for us at the moment.[/quote]I would like to fully agree with your comments here... but London restrictions apply.I don''t make the rules.......[/quote]Really? I''ve never heard of any specific London restrictions. I know London and coastal clubs are more likely to be allowed to open a satellite centre due to travelling times and limited catchment respectively. What kind of restrictions do London clubs have when it comes to catchment areas? 

I have no idea what London restrictions are. These are  some of the FA rules we now have to adhere to. It''s the age groups that are really relevant to this discussion.

It''s very different times to those Chase / Bennett days. And while we shouldn''t devalue them in any way we should also recognise that they can''t be used as a benchmark for how we perform in this area now.

I''m not sure there are ways around these rules. But I would say that when one door closes another one opens. Because it seems to me that if clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea are filling their academies with foreign youngsters at the age of 16 then they are releasing many of the players they had as schoolboys. Maybe this is how we managed to get Korey Smith and George Francomb. So I guess our partnership with the university of Hertfordhires developement centre in Hatfield is important in this.

I don''t know the story behind the Turkish lads being here. Mr Fruit possibly does as I believe he''s a poster who takes an avid interest in our academy.

The succesful under 18''s won again at the weekend with Jack Werndly scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory at MK Dons[Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I have no idea what London restrictions are. These are  some of the FA rules we now have to adhere to. It''s the age groups that are really relevant to this discussion.

It''s very different times to those Chase / Bennett days. And while we shouldn''t devalue them in any way we should also recognise that they can''t be used as a benchmark for how we perform in this area now.

I''m not sure there are ways around these rules. But I would say that when one door closes another one opens. Because it seems to me that if clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea are filling their academies with foreign youngsters at the age of 16 then they are releasing many of the players they had as schoolboys. Maybe this is how we managed to get Korey Smith and George Francomb. So I guess our partnership with the university of Hertfordhires developement centre in Hatfield is important in this.

I don''t know the story behind the Turkish lads being here. Mr Fruit possibly does as I believe he''s a poster who takes an avid interest in our academy.

The succesful under 18''s won again at the weekend with Jack Werndly scoring the winner in a 3-2 victory at MK Dons[Y]

[/quote]

[Y][:D]

OTBC