Sign in to follow this  
Matt Morriss

We will never see Zak Whitbread

Im convinced that Zak Whitbread will never become a city regular and he will be gone by next summer, todays pinkun article about him not being ready for tonights reserve outing i found amusing.Is this guy ever gonna be fit? How long as he been here and how many games as he played? Sounds like another John Kennedy and Dejan Stefanovic, good on paper but too injury prone for it matter.

Yeah, we have had this discussion before, i completely agree with you, but for some reason, some people think he will come good....hopefully he can, because he does look like he knows how to play football (in the brief glimpses we have seen...), but i can''t see Lambert or the club willing to keep him on, if his injury problems continue...

I remember seeing an article on BBC, about a footballer, i think at AC Milan, who was injured for pretty much the whole first season he was there (last season i think), and offered to play for a year for free for them, for keeping him on (paying him of course) while he was injured....Other footballers should really follow that example, Whitbread really has some catching up to do, and even if his actually injury has healed/almost healed, he still has 1/2 years of very little game time because of constant injury problems, for some players, they can come back (Can''t think of any proper examples...but there must have been some :P), but i just don''t see him doing that unfortunately.... :(

No i just dont see it happening myself, you just know the type of player he is, weve had a few that promised so much but it never became a reality and eventually they were gone.

He was probably the best player we ever had, he put in countless brilliant performances for us...i can only think of Troy Archibald Henville who was any better....

These things take time, Lambert obviously rates him so we should be patient. Drury was out for quite a while and got injured again when he started playing but look at him now!

They tend to settle up the contract if there is no reasonable prospect of returning to play - presume that as that has not happened the club believes he will be fit enough at some point.

The Milan player you mentioned was Onyewu, the USA CB. He''s playing for nothing this season after literally not playing since he joined last summer.

Ya, I was going to point that out too about the Gooch. Playing for free because he''s a man with a conscience, not to mention one heck of a solid defender when healthy.

Whitbread should change his name to Chadsworth (or whatever that guy''s name is) and return his US citizenship.

That was damn decent what Oneywu did. I really hope we can see Zak, as when he was fit and playing regularly he was a class act. I can''t see him playing any part before christmas with realistically Ward, Barnett and Nelson all above him in the pecking order.

[quote user="Willmeister"]That was damn decent what Oneywu did. I really hope we can see Zak, as when he was fit and playing regularly he was a class act. I can''t see him playing any part before christmas with realistically Ward, Barnett and Nelson all above him in the pecking order.[/quote]He''s never played regularly for us! Or are you a big Millwall watcher?

Wasn''t Craig Bellamy out for something like 9 months but came back as good as ever. Keith O''Neill was one who falleterd to deceive but was alwyas injured and I still recall Jon O''Neill and Matthew Rush both of whom suffered bad injuries just afer arriving. sadly there seem to be more who don''t recover than come back.

I''ve asked this question before, but nobody seems to know the answer.

Is the Club insured against the wages of a player who has a long-term injury? Something which kicks in after, say, one month.

I believe we collected something when Emblem was lost to the Game.

It would make sense, although expensive, and would mean that, in the particular case of somebody like Whitbread, it would be right to keep him.

Giving up wages is a tricky one. The player did after all sustain his injury whilst plying his trade for NCFC (ie. in training,) so as an "Industrial injury," he would like all of us be entitled to full wages.

[quote user="Tumbleweed"]Wasn''t Craig Bellamy out for something like 9 months but came back as good as ever. Keith O''Neill was one who falleterd to deceive but was alwyas injured and I still recall Jon O''Neill and Matthew Rush both of whom suffered bad injuries just afer arriving. sadly there seem to be more who don''t recover than come back.[/quote]

Careful who you select when you type "Matthew Rush" into Wikipedia.....

Keith O''Neill was a great big player, it was a real shame he was injured so often. I think a love of the ladies and liquor kept him occupied though when he was injured!

Matthew Rush was a dam shame. good player for West ham and could have given us some bite in midfield..retired aged 27 due to injury and is now a teacher... nice bloke as well.