Sign in to follow this  
Lewie - Holt Our Saviour

Bullard - the one that got away?

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Ah another mistake by worthy I see (Peter Crouch?)bah I thought it might of been better than that, I thought we might of almost signed him in the summer.[/quote]It was either Jimmy Bullard or Gary Holt, we signed Gary Holt for £100k, got 4 great years from him and nearly 200 games.I wouldn''t say it was a mistake, at the time Bullard was a raw kid with no experience, he went to a side at a lower level remember, not sure at the time he''d have had the same impact as "3 lungs".

Jimmy Bullard played a couple of reserve games during Feb/Mar 2001, Worthington took over from Hamilton just before x-mas I believe. Gary Holt was signed  in March 2001so was a Worthington signing, although i''m sure Hamilton may have tracked him beforehand but Worthy didn''t have to go ahead with any deal.

[quote user="norwichyellow"]Don''t have any money for a paper? Harsh times these, harsh times indeed.[/quote]

I''m not to sorry, As he seems to spend more time on the treatment table than the pitch, but on the other hand it would be nice to have him here. 

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Ah another mistake by worthy I see (Peter Crouch?)
bah I thought it might of been better than that, I thought we might of almost signed him in the summer.
[/quote]

Two huge mistakes there Lewie! Crouch instead of Hucks and Bullard instead of Holt.

Are you sure?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Ah another mistake by worthy I see (Peter Crouch?)
bah I thought it might of been better than that, I thought we might of almost signed him in the summer.
[/quote]

Two huge mistakes there Lewie! Crouch instead of Hucks and Bullard instead of Holt.

Are you sure?

[/quote]

So how many times did Hucks play for England. How many goals did he score for England and how much in transfer fees?

Interesting isn''t it!

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

So how many times did Hucks play for England. How many goals did he score for England and how much in transfer fees?

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Aren''t you supposed to be wining and dining your wife?[;)]

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Aren''t you supposed to be wining and dining your wife?[;)]

[/quote]

Even I have to have a breather at some time!![:D]

We are having Chinese tonight Beau![;)]

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Indeed. Just shows there''s more to football and supporting a club than the bare statistics. Because there can be no argument that the signing of Hucks was the choice of the fans.

Did we get it wrong....

.....again?

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Indeed. Just shows there''s more to football and supporting a club than the bare statistics. Because there can be no argument that the signing of Hucks was the choice of the fans.

Did we get it wrong....

.....again?

[/quote]

Who knows but Hucks and Holt didn''t do to bad did they.

Problem though I don''t think we got a sell on for either[:D]

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Jimmy Bullard played a couple of reserve games during Feb/Mar 2001, Worthington took over from Hamilton just before x-mas I believe. Gary Holt was signed  in March 2001so was a Worthington signing, although i''m sure Hamilton may have tracked him beforehand but Worthy didn''t have to go ahead with any deal.[/quote]Hamilton, whatever his many faults, had actually tied up the deal to sign Holt. Unfortunately on the day Holt walked through in the front door to discuss personal terms Hamilton was being shown out the back door with his P45 in his hand.Once Worthy had got his feet under the table he simply resuscitated the deal Hamilton had all but completed.

We should have signed Huckerby (when we did) and Crouch (in the summer).

We''d have stayed up with an extra top-drawer striker in from the start.

Should have kept Iwan and Malky as well but that''s another matter!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Jimmy Bullard played a couple of reserve games during Feb/Mar 2001, Worthington took over from Hamilton just before x-mas I believe. Gary Holt was signed  in March 2001so was a Worthington signing, although i''m sure Hamilton may have tracked him beforehand but Worthy didn''t have to go ahead with any deal.

[/quote]

Hamilton, whatever his many faults, had actually tied up the deal to sign Holt. Unfortunately on the day Holt walked through in the front door to discuss personal terms Hamilton was being shown out the back door with his P45 in his hand.

Once Worthy had got his feet under the table he simply resuscitated the deal Hamilton had all but completed.

[/quote]

Hamiltons best signing was probably Worthington[:O]

[quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Did we get it wrong....

.....again?

[/quote]

Who knows but Hucks and Holt didn''t do to bad did they.

Problem though I don''t think we got a sell on for either[:D]

[/quote]

Sell ons! They were great when the money stayed in the game weren''t they? Our best result was probably £700,000 when Mike Sheron moved from Stoke to QPR. That practically paid for Iwan!!

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]Jimmy Bullard played a couple of reserve games during Feb/Mar 2001, Worthington took over from Hamilton just before x-mas I believe. Gary Holt was signed  in March 2001so was a Worthington signing, although i''m sure Hamilton may have tracked him beforehand but Worthy didn''t have to go ahead with any deal.

[/quote]

Hamilton, whatever his many faults, had actually tied up the deal to sign Holt. Unfortunately on the day Holt walked through in the front door to discuss personal terms Hamilton was being shown out the back door with his P45 in his hand.

Once Worthy had got his feet under the table he simply resuscitated the deal Hamilton had all but completed.

[/quote]

Hamiltons best signing was probably Worthington[:O]

[/quote]

Just when you think it''s safe......................

[quote user="CanaryJames"]We should have signed Huckerby (when we did) and Crouch (in the summer).

We''d have stayed up with an extra top-drawer striker in from the start.

Should have kept Iwan and Malky as well but that''s another matter![/quote]Iwan and Malky?? You''re having a laugh!Iwan could barely stand up let alone score goals, as proved by his "career" after he left us. Malky is a slightly different story, we needed his leadership but would have been something of a liability at premiership level. Fleming had just won player of the season, and was widely regarded by most fans as Malky''s superior, and our best defender. Malky was slower than an oil tanker, but may have been good for 4 or 5 goals a season. It''s a balancing act.I remember when he (Malky) left, most people were sad but pretty much all fans accepted that his time had passed. He never really played in the prem for his later clubs (which says something), and although it would have been great to keep him for the bench, I think he would have wanted to play regularly.The MAJOR problem with Malky leaving was who came in to replace him...

Yes, as in two players who regardless of their on-field capabilities (many have said) were key figures behind closed doors.

I''m confident Iwan would have accepted a 1-year pay-per-play deal to stay here or something similar. I agree, he was nearing the end of his career, but being able to chucking him on for 10 minutes here and there could have just given us that bit of experience we lacked. You can bet everything you''ve got he''d have run himself into the ground as well!

As for Malky, wrong to let him go on so many levels. He deserved a shot at it, and never got an opportunity.

If we''d kept those two, as well as getting a striker like Crouch/Ashton in during the summer, we would have stayed up.

During my ten years in control, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club. Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated. But it could have been so much better but for the one that got away......

Dion Dublin released by David Stringer and sent to Kings Lynn. Oh Well, that''s little Norwich for you!

[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Not sure i find it that interesting though...

Uruguay 1
Hungary 1
Jamaica 3
Trinidad and Tobago 1
Greece 2
Andorra 2
Macedonia 1
Estonia 1
Austria 1
Croatia 1
Ukraine 1
Andorra 1
Belarus 2
Egypt 2
Mexico 1

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="CanaryJames"]We should have signed Huckerby (when we did) and Crouch (in the summer). We''d have stayed up with an extra top-drawer striker in from the start. Should have kept Iwan and Malky as well but that''s another matter![/quote]

Iwan and Malky?? You''re having a laugh!

Iwan could barely stand up let alone score goals, as proved by his "career" after he left us. Malky is a slightly different story, we needed his leadership but would have been something of a liability at premiership level. Fleming had just won player of the season, and was widely regarded by most fans as Malky''s superior, and our best defender. Malky was slower than an oil tanker, but may have been good for 4 or 5 goals a season. It''s a balancing act.

I remember when he (Malky) left, most people were sad but pretty much all fans accepted that his time had passed. He never really played in the prem for his later clubs (which says something), and although it would have been great to keep him for the bench, I think he would have wanted to play regularly.

The MAJOR problem with Malky leaving was who came in to replace him...
[/quote]

Thank god. Was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that. In terms of his reputation with the fans, Malky leaving when he did was a masterstroke. He''s become a better and better player every year since. Great bloke, but clearly not up to the Prem. As Mook says, the problem was not replacing him.

[quote user="Downloads"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Ah another mistake by worthy I see (Peter Crouch?)bah I thought it might of been better than that, I thought we might of almost signed him in the summer.[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]

Interesting isn''t it!

[/quote]

Not sure i find it that interesting though...

Uruguay 1Hungary 1Jamaica 3Trinidad and Tobago 1Greece 2Andorra 2Macedonia 1Estonia 1Austria 1Croatia 1Ukraine 1Andorra 1Belarus 2Egypt 2Mexico 1

[/quote]urugruay, Mexico and (possibly) Croaita apart Crouch hasnt scored many past decent sides has he!

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="CanaryJames"]We should have signed Huckerby (when we did) and Crouch (in the summer). We''d have stayed up with an extra top-drawer striker in from the start. Should have kept Iwan and Malky as well but that''s another matter![/quote]

Iwan and Malky?? You''re having a laugh!

Iwan could barely stand up let alone score goals, as proved by his "career" after he left us. Malky is a slightly different story, we needed his leadership but would have been something of a liability at premiership level. Fleming had just won player of the season, and was widely regarded by most fans as Malky''s superior, and our best defender. Malky was slower than an oil tanker, but may have been good for 4 or 5 goals a season. It''s a balancing act.

I remember when he (Malky) left, most people were sad but pretty much all fans accepted that his time had passed. He never really played in the prem for his later clubs (which says something), and although it would have been great to keep him for the bench, I think he would have wanted to play regularly.

The MAJOR problem with Malky leaving was who came in to replace him...
[/quote]

Thank god. Was beginning to think that I was the only person who thought that. In terms of his reputation with the fans, Malky leaving when he did was a masterstroke. He''s become a better and better player every year since. Great bloke, but clearly not up to the Prem. As Mook says, the problem was not replacing him.

[/quote]

You''re not the only two either! This Malky and Iwan stuff was made up as part of the Worthy Out campaign. Malky wasn''t released, he chose to go because he couldn''t be assured of first team football in the Prem. I think we got £300,000 for him. Iwan was finished and I''m glad he didn''t hang around and tarnish his reputation. He tried at Gillingham and Cambridge and failed.

However my personal favourites were the ones about Worthy wasting money on Etuhu when Rossi Jarvis was a better option and the same scenario with Dion Dublin and his brother Ryan.

[quote user="Lewie - Holt Our Saviour"]Ah another mistake by worthy I see (Peter Crouch?)bah I thought it might of been better than that, I thought we might of almost signed him in the summer.[/quote]

Are you sure?

[/quote]I presumed we could get them on top of them, besides Hucks - crouch and Holt - bullard are both completly different players to each other.Hucks - the pace, the skillCrouch - The strength, the height, the head (sounds abit wrong but there we go)Holt - The strength, the defenceBullard - the attacking, the goals ,the assists I may be wrong about those above.

[quote user="Bob The Builder"]

During my ten years in control, and I''m not boasting, just being factual - we finished third, fourth and fifth in the top flight, reached two FA Cup semi-finals and during one season stayed at the top of the first division longer than any other club. Rarely does a club as small as Norwich hold the top spot for so long. I can''t see that being repeated. But it could have been so much better but for the one that got away......

Dion Dublin released by David Stringer and sent to Kings Lynn. Oh Well, that''s little Norwich for you!

[/quote]

He went to Cambridge United actually and signed a two year contract I believe

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]He went to Cambridge United actually and signed a two year contract I believe[/quote]Tangy. You keep using the quote-ma-thingy even though it''s clear it''s not working. If you''re using internet explorer, try hitting the compatibility button at the top next to the search box.