Sign in to follow this  
dhickl

Youth

For the ''name that team'' from 1994, I had to look up the squad to see who the last striker could be.  If you look at the players we had who were 20 or under then, it''s quite impressive compared to today.

Andrew Brownrigg
Darren Crowfoot
Andy Johnson
Darren Eadie
Keith O''Neill
Shaun Carey
Andy Marshall
Jamie Cureton
Ade Akinbiyi
Ali Gibb
Justin Harrington
Stacey Kreft
Marcus Oldbury
Jimmy Simpson
Johnny Wright
Danny Mills

7 of them have made a career at a decent level (8 if you include carey!)  When was the last time we had that success bringing youth through, and do you think we will achieve it again? 

As you say impressive.

The fact that nine of those aspiring youngsters failed to make it demonstrates what a precarious career undertaking professional football can be.

It adds a little sympathy to the player''s side in the debate about silly wages these days.

It is a long hard road to the top, and then injury could strike to the detriment of what is already a short "working life" in the game.

Our present crop of youngsters is, I feel, better than we have had for some years.   

Quite impressive but out of all those names perhaps the only real Premiership success was the much hated Danny Mills.....

Keith O''Neill and Eadie had the ability but injury never really allowed them to fulfill their potentials once they had left Carrow Rd

Ade Akinbadbuyi  enough said

Cureton....LOL

Andy Johnson, bit of a journeyman

Andy Marshall  scum

I am sure that from our current crop, including the likes of Korey Smith and perhaps Adeyemi, we will see a fair few stars of the future....

If you look at the ''hightlight'' in each of those players'' career, I think most of our youth team players would be happy for any of their achievements:

Player               Highlight
Andy Johnson     £2.2m transfer to Notts Forrest
Darren Eadie      £3m transfer to Leicester, put forward for England squad but didn''t make cap due to injury
Keith O''Neill      £700k transfer to ''boro (was soon to be out of contract, previously there had been talk of £4m)
Andy Marshall     POS at Norwich
Jamie Cureton    Championship golden boot
Ade Akinbiyi       £5m to Leicester!!!!!!
Danny Mills        Capped for England