Sign in to follow this  
Thecanaryfan

Croft and Clingan

Was just wondering how these two were fairing at their respective clubs? Two highly idolised players here in their day who left when the going got tough (or easier depending on which way you view it). And also does anyone know what that tosspot Fotheringham is up to nowadays? Not within twenty feet of Roeder I hope!

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"]Was just wondering how these two were fairing at their respective clubs? Two highly idolised players here in their day who left when the going got tough (or easier depending on which way you view it). And also does anyone know what that tosspot Fotheringham is up to nowadays? Not within twenty feet of Roeder I hope![/quote]

Clingan was sold to balance the books and Croft was rubbish so no bad thing there. Isn''t Croft now at Huddersfield? Clingan is still playing for Coventry I think, occasionally see him on FLS banging in belters as he did every so often.

Fotheringham is now playing in Cyprus and can be seen in the Europa Cup.

Why is there this recurring theme that Norwich players are simply not allowed to leave the club to earn themselves a better liveliehood and will be referred to as Judas'' for time immemorial.

Sammy Clingan has recently voiced his disappointment at not getting as much game time as he''d like at Coventry.

Lee Croft signed on loan for Huddersfield from Derby. Lee Clarke obviously rated him from their time together at Norwich and you could tell Croft was gutted when Clark left us to take the Huddersfield job.

I don''t see any recurring theme Wings of Sparrow the only recurring theme is wimps like you coming on here defending the indefendable! Plus I don''t think anyone was slating Clingan were they?

Croft left us when we went down and showed no commitment whatsoever - Fotheringham always thought he was better than us when he was anything but.

The only player to come out with any sort of respect would be Clingan. A quality player who needed to move on.

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]Why is there this recurring theme that Norwich players are simply not allowed to leave the club to earn themselves a better liveliehood and will be referred to as Judas'' for time immemorial.[/quote]

Can''t really blame either Croft or Clingan for leaving especially when you consider that, at the time, they were facing the prospect of being managed by Bryan Gunn.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]

Croft left us when we went down and showed no commitment whatsoever - Fotheringham always thought he was better than us when he was anything but. The only player to come out with any sort of respect would be Clingan. A quality player who needed to move on.[/quote]

Don''t understand what makes Clingan any more or less respectable than Croft or Marshall.

They were amongst the very few players we had who would be of interest to other clubs at that level.

We got relegated and they had the chance to continue playing at a higher level so they took it.

[quote user="GJP"]

[quote user="Wings of a sparrow"]Why is there this recurring theme that Norwich players are simply not allowed to leave the club to earn themselves a better liveliehood and will be referred to as Judas'' for time immemorial.[/quote]

Can''t really blame either Croft or Clingan for leaving especially when you consider that, at the time, they were facing the prospect of being managed by Bryan Gunn.

[/quote]

True. You cant really blame any player for jumping ship when you look at it like that!

I wasnt slating Croft or Clingan. They were wise to seek a higher standard of football. Though Im guessing they arent quite as idolised at their current clubs as they were here. In hindsight I bet they had wished they had stayed.

I think it was the way went about it at the time - Croft and Marshall basically prostituted themselves out to the highest bidder whereas Clingan was a little bit more respectable.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I don''t see any recurring theme Wings of Sparrow the only recurring theme is wimps like you coming on here defending the indefendable! Plus I don''t think anyone was slating Clingan were they?

Croft left us when we went down and showed no commitment whatsoever - Fotheringham always thought he was better than us when he was anything but.

The only player to come out with any sort of respect would be Clingan. A quality player who needed to move on.[/quote]

I see you have backtracked slightly on your comments.

However, it never ceases to amaze me that in any other walk of life your aim is to better yourself (be it more money, better prospects etc etc) but woe betide you if you leave Norwich and join another club for those reasons.

[quote user="Give Peas a Chance "]I think it was the way went about it at the time - Croft and Marshall basically prostituted themselves out to the highest bidder whereas Clingan was a little bit more respectable.[/quote]

Did they? Was he?

Coventry put a bid in for Clingan, we accepted, he went. Cardiff put a bid in for Marshall, we accepted, he went.

Croft was out of contract and would have had to committ to a club sliding down the league table under a manager he probably had very little confidence in.

I liked Sammy Clingan as a player for us but I don''t think he deserves to be looked at any more favourably than the others.

how did I backtrack?

I can''t remember anyone slating Clingan and he left respectively. In the way you have described actually (better yourself etc)

Croft, Marshall and especially Fotheringham didn''t

[quote user="Thecanaryfan"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]

True. You cant really blame any player for jumping ship when you look at it like that!

I wasnt slating Croft or Clingan. They were wise to seek a higher standard of football. Though Im guessing they arent quite as idolised at their current clubs as they were here. In hindsight I bet they had wished they had stayed.

[/quote]

I''m sure they both miss playing their football here and I would think if we had brought in a good manager a lot sooner than we did then it would have been a much harder decision for them to leave.

you were trying to defend Croft and Fotheringham were you not?

I agree with you for Clingan but when player/s prostitute themselves to other clubs (ala Croft and Marshall) they deserve no respect whatsoever.

How did Jason Shackell get received when we played Barnsley a few weeks back?

Who cares. I''d rather have Crofts and McNamee than Clingan and Croft so we have made progress! Best of luck to them, I would probably have Clingan back but it won''t happen so that''s all in the past and not worth thinking about.OTBC!

[quote user="Norfolk Mustard"]Hi, I have seen ''Give Peas a Chance'' displayed on that bridge loads of times; can you share what lies behind those words? I''ve often wondered!...[/quote]

Well, the pea is a common vedgetable and ''by give them a chance'' he insinuates that they are actually quite tasty and not just a basic tasteless vedgetable, which so many people frequently assume.....My preference is mushy peas.

[quote user="NeonYellow"]Who cares. I''d rather have Crofts and McNamee than Clingan and Croft so we have made progress!

Best of luck to them, I would probably have Clingan back but it won''t happen so that''s all in the past and not worth thinking about.

OTBC!
[/quote]

I agree with you on both counts. But I would still love to see Clingan in our squad!! Imagine Crofts picked up a long term injury? With both him and Surman out of the equation Clingan could step in and perform for us.

Croft highly idolised?

Not by me thats for sure!

I respected him for his effort but he flattered to deceive!

I find it amusing that he sits on the bench for Huddersfield in League 1 after he left us following relegation cause he didn''t want to play in League 1!

Clingan left because he was one of the few players who done himself justice in the relegation season and could warrant staying in the Championship!

Anyway while its mildly interesting seeing how former Canary players are doing, we have a good team at present which is much more interesting and theirs not many former Norwich players still playing that I''d want back at the club!

To think our central midfield pairing of two seasons ago - Fozzy and Matty Patty - are now plying their trade in Cyprus and South Africa respectively. Thanks Roeder.

IT was just peas originally the tag of a local graffiti artist.

Then someone added give ... a chance. Wise guys lol

Obviously a play on words, thought It was quite quirky lol

They all wanted out. Simple as that. Gunn asked everyone at the end of the season whether they wanted to stay and Croft, Clingan and Marshall all said they wanted to leave. Hence they all moved on. I have not got any problems with that because we were an absolute shambles at the time so it made sense to leave. But it shows how far we have come that I don''t think either Clingan or Croft would make our starting XI now whereas during that relegation season they were the first names on the teamsheet.

"I agree with you on both counts. But I would still love to see Clingan in our squad!! Imagine Crofts picked up a long term injury? With both him and Surman out of the equation Clingan could step in and perform for us."Good point Canary Fan - we also have Fox who is better than people think and Hughes, so it wouldn''t be a disaster but we would definitely miss Crofts tenacity!

Clingan and Croft were both overrated in my personal opinion. Croft was a trier and everyone loves a trier..but had poor delivery, Clingan was synonymous with ghosting into our own box just after we conceded a goal. Clingan, while a footballer with technical ability, left us hugely exposed at the back.

[quote user="Duncan Edwards"]Clingan and Croft were both overrated in my personal opinion. Croft was a trier and everyone loves a trier..but had poor delivery, Clingan was synonymous with ghosting into our own box just after we conceded a goal. Clingan, while a footballer with technical ability, left us hugely exposed at the back.[/quote]Their careers since they left show how poor we were. With the exception of Marshall their careers have tanked yet there remains some residual affection on this board for their limited talents. Ah, the irrationality of the football fan. Of course it is silly to resent them for bettering themselves (or at least trying) but without that irrationality the two limited bench warming footballers would be long forgotton by the club now in 4th place in the second tier. Can''t have it both ways!

Have you heard of Wikipedia? You could have found out all you need to know from there rather than make this pointless thread. They moved on, get over it.

[quote user="Mainline"]

Fox is awful. Clingan over Fox anyday!

And Lee Croft is a better player than McNamee.

[/quote]And you came to those conclusions how exactly? This would be the same Fox that was in the opening day fixture gainst Watford when everyone apart from Crofts had a mare! His appearances since then amount to? So your opinion is based on what exactly?Lee Croft was a fat fuck with a moon face that could run but had no final ball. Not ever. Not once. Idle mercenary. McNamee… how many assists from his limited time?Jeez, no wonder football is going to the dogs!