Sign in to follow this  
archantadams

Nelson

I know Lambert likes old Nelson for all his foibles (His passing out of defence is .... Well?) but the partnership of Ward and Barnett... It looks to be a decent one.

Can we expect Nelson to return to the squad once fit... I don''t think so, as no one wants to change a winning formula (providing we are winning still then) and the partnership between the two will be getting strong by then, after all how much time have Nelson and Ward had together really?

I too like Nelson in spite of his obvious faults and think he has come on a lot since league one when he got here. However I think this injury may see him warming the bench for a while, especially if we can secure Barnetts signature long term come January!

Thoughts?

It''s a good situation to have as Ward and Barnett are a really good partnership as are Ward and Nelson but Nelson will have to bid his time. I think CB has got to be our best position as we also have Whitbread and Askou who aren''t even getting a look in as well.

100% for effort and commitment, and solid in the air, but at Championship level, and particularly when up against pacy strikers, I''m afraid that Nelson is an accident waiting to happen.

[quote user="Mr. Chops"]100% for effort and commitment, and solid in the air, but at Championship level, and particularly when up against pacy strikers, I''m afraid that Nelson is an accident waiting to happen.[/quote]AGREE

I think it''s a bit harsh to describe him as an "accident waiting to happen".  It hardly seems fair to criticise him just in case he does something wrong.  Why not wait until he actually does something wrong?  Sure we all know his limitations but he was our best performing centre-back before he got injured.  Having said that if things continue as they are he''s not going to get back in the side in a hurry.

He had already made a fair few mistakes this season..... Yes he had a few moments and games were he looked OK his performances are always littered with mistakes though goals against Watford and Gilliingham stand out.....with Ward and Barnett i dont feel like a mistake is around the corner!!!

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]So falling on his ass isnt making a mistake??[/quote]Now, come on, crap defending''s one thing, but accusations of bestiality ...

His commitment is second to none, anyone remember that game last season where he went for the ball with his head? Can''t remember who we played. However, pace is his arch enemy. Although Nelson is a great workhorse, i feel much more assured with Barnett + Ward at the back.

Workhorse, dont you mean carthorse...... I never questioned his workrate, the guy always gives 100% commitment, and last season he was a good player for us. Its league One, we are back in the Championship now were he does not cut the mustard!!!Sorry.

How do you know he doesn''t cut it? 3/4 games? oh yeah, thats really fair....and he hadn''t really done anything wrong, just people like you, who get this idea in your head about a player, and stick to it whatever...Nelson could come back, get back into the team, make numerous last ditch tackles, never put a foot wrong, score a few, and you would probably still think he doesn''t cut it....

He is 30 and this is his first time in this league does that not tell you something?!Strikers like Bellamy, Earnshaw, Sinclair, James Vaughan, Jimmy Kebe etc etc etc hahahahahahaha!!!If he is in our team i will support him to the hilt, but i pray he isnt as my heart will be in my stomach if he is.....He is simply a league one player.

Can not see how some of you can judge him to be that bad, i personally think, he does what a defender should do... DEFEND!! If you want a ball playing centre back like Rio Ferdinand, its going to cost alot of money.... also i have seen Rio fall on his backside many a game, doesnt make him a shite defender all of a sudden. What about Tony Adams he could not pass was slow, but could defend, look how many Chants of "donkey" he got!! If Grant Holt misses a open goal or keeper makes a save, does that make him a crap striker!! think to many on here are playing Fifa on X-box to much!!

i cant see PL breaking up the Ward/Barnett partnership at present. But you never know what may happen with injuries/suspensions.

Also as it stands Barnett will leave in Jan when his loan finishes, so unless something else happens before then we will be back to Ward/Nelson or Askou,Whitbread partnership

One thing is PL isn''t afraid to use any of them, so wouldn''t hesitate is putting one in if needs be

Nelsons done a very good job for us despite being limited!

Its a good problem to have Ward, Barnett, Nelson and Askou all vying for a 1st team place, thats what you want!

I didn''t mention Whitbread cause as far as I''m concerned hes a waste of space sick note who I doubt will do much for the club!

Obviously I hope Whitbread proves me wrong but its looking doubtful!

Signing Barnet and getting rid of Whitbread would be a good move!

[quote user="NCFC4LIFE"]So falling on his ass isnt making a mistake??[/quote]Right, so when pushed for his game being ''littered with mistakes'', this is all you can come up with, conveniently ignoring the fact that (a) I never said he didn''t make any mistakes, and (b) everybody does it.  Oh, and not forgetting his match-winning late block at Scunthorpe and his solid-as-a-rock display against Swansea (when a certain Sinclair played but didn''t score or get an assist).And why mention Bellamy for?  I should think pretty much every defender in the league will get a hard time off him.He might never have played at this level before but that doesn''t mean he''s going to be hopeless at it.

[quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I think it''s a bit harsh to describe him as an "accident waiting to happen".  It hardly seems fair to criticise him just in case he does something wrong.[/quote]A fair point.  But when Nelson has the ball at his feet there''s only two options - hoof or misplaced pass.  That, plus his lack of pace, worries me.  I don''t fault his commitment, his effort or work rate, and if these qualities alone were enough then he''d be first name on the team sheet.  But I remain convinced he is not a first choice Championship centre back, and I don''t think he would be Lambert''s first choice either which is why he acquired Whitbread and Ward.

The thing is I honestly thought Lambert highly rated Nelson... But looking at the Ward Barnett partnership is looking good now....

On another note he is always up the city with an array of other players so I am guessing he is well liked at the club.

[quote user="Mr. Chops"][quote user="Graham Humphrey"]I think it''s a bit harsh to describe him as an "accident waiting to happen".  It hardly seems fair to criticise him just in case he does something wrong.[/quote]A fair point.  But when Nelson has the ball at his feet there''s only two options - hoof or misplaced pass.  That, plus his lack of pace, worries me.  I don''t fault his commitment, his effort or work rate, and if these qualities alone were enough then he''d be first name on the team sheet.  But I remain convinced he is not a first choice Championship centre back, and I don''t think he would be Lambert''s first choice either which is why he acquired Whitbread and Ward.[/quote]Spot On, another excellent point from Mr Chops two in two days you going to go for a hatrick?p.s Sinclair didnt score due to R.Martin having a blinder, in fact I remember Nelson getting skinned like a School boy a couple of times by Sinclair one of which led to the pen!?

See, I don''t actually disagree with the Chopsy''s points re lack of pace and poor distribution.But you, on the other hand, seem to want to turn a blind eye to anything positive he does which is a bit sad.  We can''t have you being wrong, now can we?

How opinion''s change......Just recently, Ward was taking some flak and criticism for his performances......

I personally still think that Nelson will be an integral part of the squad for the campaign ahead.....His opportunity will come when he''s fit and when one of the current central pairing is either injured, suspended - or has a dip in form.....Nelson will grab that opportunity and will be reluctant to let it go......  

Do we also write off Zak Whitbread? I wouldn''t....I think he will be chasing a place in the side in the not too distant future....

Are we missing the Doc? Personally, I don''t think so....Now there''s a player who''s content - and found his true level and standard.....