Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

Leon Barnett

I think Barnetts future will depend more on how West Bum are doing in the league come next Jan.  If they are sitting pretty will probably be happy to let us keep him with a view to a perm.  If they are fighting relegation will be thinking about keeping him for the Champ next season.

Would welcome him if he comes but think he is going to be another Tiny Taylor - great on loan but only that.

If West Brom continue playing like they did at the weekend, I don''t think they will be in a relegation battle in January somehow.

GJP wrote the following post at 22/09/2010 6:31 PM:

I disagree, I think the partnership bedded down pretty quickly once Nelson came in for Askou. For me, from quite early on, it looked a better prospect with Nelson in defence than it did with Askou.

I disagree with you there GJP, unless im mistaken the Doc and Nelson played together against Col Who forst game of the seasen and we all no what happend there. However imho they did eventually form a solid partnership.

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]GJP wrote the following post at 22/09/2010 6:31 PM: I disagree, I think the partnership bedded down pretty quickly once Nelson came in for Askou. For me, from quite early on, it looked a better prospect with Nelson in defence than it did with Askou.

I disagree with you there GJP, unless im mistaken the Doc and Nelson played together against Col Who forst game of the seasen and we all no what happend there. However imho they did eventually form a solid partnership.

[/quote]

That''s correct, they did play the first game.

However, I didn''t say they were a good partnership in the first game. I said they looked good after Nelson came in for Askou.

I disagree about Barnett being expensive. I believe his contract is up at the end of the season so West Brom would have to sell for a knock down price unless they can drum up some other interest in him. If we want him, I reckon we''re in poll position to sign him. He has had a difficult couple of seasons but with us he is getting games and is gradually showing why West Brom paid £2.5 million for him. In Ward and Barnett Lambert could get a central defensive partnership cheaply which back in the day was worth £3.5 million.

[quote user="First Wazzock"]We really need to sign this guy, he''s the mutt''s nuts.[/quote]

Indeed he is,he looked so strong in the air again tonight, and he''s not afraid to get stuck in!

"which back in the day was worth £3.5 million"

That was because both players had longer contracts to buy out. It is those figues that determine the so called ''transfer fee'', not some conjured up figure as in buying a second hand car.

Currently City will most likely be paying part of his wages. If he returns to WBA they will have to pick up that cost for someone who they don''t thonk is good enough for then in the Premier.

To retain him for the season after they will need to offer another contract soon after January which could mean being stuck with someone they don''t want if they stay up.

Lambert will have to decide if he is better than Nelson, Whitbread and Askou. If so then City will have to see if they can afford the final six months of his contract or how much WBA wil pay. That assumes they don''t see him staying there.

Fair old bit to to-ing and fro-ing which will also depend on who we have fit and where we are in the league.

Personally I hope he stays.