Sign in to follow this  
Yella Foreva

Leon Barnett

Leon had a cracking game in defence against Preston, always got to ball first, whether with head or foot. Once he gets bedded in, he will be a great asset.

He also had three headers on goal from set pieces, and if he can get these on target, some were way off, he could be a great asset in attack.

The Mirror are usually very accurate with NCFC stories. I recall they were first to break the Gunn sacking and Lambert appointment stories.

[quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]I know its the mirror but hope this comes true. Would be great IMHO. http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/6392820

[/quote]

Good shout.I think that he and Ward are developing into the best central defensive partnership we''ve had for some time.

[/quote]

I agree with this but I would go further. I think they compliment eachother and are the only central defensive partnership we''ve had for sometime.

[quote user="Larry David"]The Mirror are usually very accurate with NCFC stories. I recall they were first to break the Gunn sacking and Lambert appointment stories.[/quote]

Spot on. When they posted the "Gunn sacked" story, I left a comment underneath the article suggesting they look again, and that we wouldn''t sack him that early in the season, or as knee jerk response for one result-thought they were being way, way OTT on that one! Ooops!

They are usually right and their football "sources" often bear fruit.

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[quote user="Yella Foreva"]I know its the mirror but hope this comes true. Would be great IMHO. http://www.teamtalk.com/papertalk/6392820

[/quote]

Good shout.I think that he and Ward are developing into the best central defensive partnership we''ve had for some time.

[/quote]

I agree with this but I would go further. I think they compliment eachother and are the only central defensive partnership we''ve had for sometime.

[/quote]

Forbes and Stringer, Watson and Bruce, Mackay and Fleming, Barnett and Ward??

I''d be delighted if true, he''s always had the attributes to be a top centre back, WBA fans rate him but believe he is prone to mistakes. However he''s coming to an age where these errors will hopefully drift from his game.

[quote user="Canary_on_the Trent"]I''d be delighted if true, he''s always had the attributes to be a top centre back, WBA fans rate him but believe he is prone to mistakes. However he''s coming to an age where these errors will hopefully drift from his game.
[/quote]

Well, he''s certainly well recommended.

So let''s hope this works out better than the Martin Taylor affair which pretty much did for Roeder.

Leon Barnett may well be a real test of the clubs ambition and, more important, resolve.

There''s little more important to success than a classy and reliable central defensive partnership at the heart of the spine.

OTBC 

Roeder, Roeder, Roeder.....

Come on lad pull yourself together...he''s gone, we''ve survived his tenure and have a much better manager now....

No point dwelling on it is there?

Granted banana...however this is the Championship and I think we have adapted well and got ourselves 2 decent centre backs in Ward and Barnett.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

the doc and askou were brill last season [y]

[/quote]

So would you consider them better than Ward and Barnett, and, if so, in what way?

[quote user="Beauseant"][quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So would you consider them better than Ward and Barnett, and, if so, in what way?

[/quote]

Well I certainly wouldn''t. Doc hardly played with Askou last season and when he did I didn''t think they were a good partrnership. I thought Doc and Nelly were more effective but certainly not a partnership like the others mentioned on this thread.

Doc and Shackell were ok together but often exposed by those in front of them.

[quote user="I am a Banana"][quote user="Beauseant"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Err Nelson played more didn''t he?

Yeah, Doc/Nels was the best partnership we had last season.

I wasn''t overly convinced about our centreback options this season since the Doc left but now that Barnett is here (and hopefully here to stay) it''s looking a lot more promising.

[quote user="GJP"]

I wasn''t overly convinced about our centreback options this season since the Doc left but now that Barnett is here (and hopefully here to stay) it''s looking a lot more promising.

[/quote]It took a while for Doc and Nelson to form a good partnership last season though. Doc was good with Askou at the start but when Nelson started to play with Doc due to Askou''s injury, they were very poor together.

Its a great partnership for sure, wih a heck of a lot of potential. Barnett and Ward already have experience playing together before they came here, and it shows. Ward is classy, with a good touch and decent positional awarness and Barnett is powerful, great in the air, composed and no nonsense.Best since Mackay and Fleming I think - and could go on to be better. Lets hope we get the chance to see it develop that far.

[quote user="HazzaJet"][quote user="GJP"]

[/quote]It took a while for Doc and Nelson to form a good partnership last season though. Doc was good with Askou at the start but when Nelson started to play with Doc due to Askou''s injury, they were very poor together.
[/quote]

I disagree, I think the partnership bedded down pretty quickly once Nelson came in for Askou. For me, from quite early on, it looked a better prospect with Nelson in defence than it did with Askou.

Dont get me wrong Barnett had a great game on sat but........ He loves the route 1 ball (most times he gets it), hes very clumsy, can see him getting sent off the same amount of times doc did/does, and also feel hes got some shocking moments in the future..

[quote user="cityislife"]Dont get me wrong Barnett had a great game on sat but........ He loves the route 1 ball (most times he gets it), hes very clumsy, can see him getting sent off the same amount of times doc did/does, and also feel hes got some shocking moments in the future..[/quote]As a matter of interest, how many times did Doc actually get sent off in his 5 years here? Do you know?

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="cityislife"]Dont get me wrong Barnett had a great game on sat but........ He loves the route 1 ball (most times he gets it), hes very clumsy, can see him getting sent off the same amount of times doc did/does, and also feel hes got some shocking moments in the future..[/quote]As a matter of interest, how many times did Doc actually get sent off in his 5 years here? Do you know?[/quote]Just Soccer-based it. Four times in five years apparently, if I was counting correctly. That''s once every 50 games.

[quote user="Mook"][quote user="Mook"][quote user="cityislife"]Dont get me wrong Barnett had a great game on sat but........ He loves the route 1 ball (most times he gets it), hes very clumsy, can see him getting sent off the same amount of times doc did/does, and also feel hes got some shocking moments in the future..[/quote]As a matter of interest, how many times did Doc actually get sent off in his 5 years here? Do you know?[/quote]Just Soccer-based it. Four times in five years apparently, if I was counting correctly. That''s once every 50 games.[/quote]But then there''s the 300 penalties given away to consider....... [;)]

west brom paid 2.5 mil so doubt it, doc made too many fouls just outside (and inside) the area. I dont know how many times hes been sent off.

[quote user="cityislife"]west brom paid 2.5 mil so doubt it, doc made too many fouls just outside (and inside) the area. I dont know how many times hes been sent off.[/quote]He''s out of contract in the summer and will probably be sold for less than 500k as a result, at that price I''d expect us to be in the running to sign him permanently.

I went to Preston last week too and Barnett won absolutley everything! Would be a great addition but wouldnt be cheap.With regards to last season, i thought Askou was quality at the back before he got injured and i am glad we have him. Nelson was good in league one but cant help but feel he is a bit dodgy, i think he could potentially get ripped apart against certain players / teams.