Sign in to follow this  
Mainline

St Pauli / Celtic song sung at Preston

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

Jon - I don''t think anyone has said this is anything new. As I said in the earlier in the thread we already have a totally original song. It is in fact the oldest known football song. And we are rightly proud of it.

You are certainly not original using the song either. But to be fair although you now associate it with Palace the rest of us only associate that old Dave Clark Five song "Glad All Over" with your club.

No wonder you feel the need to lay claim to a different tune[;)]

[/quote]

I didn''t lay claim to it, as I said Newcastle, Celtic and St Pauli have been using it longer BUT since we have been singing it for the last year and a half more teams have cottoned on to it, most notably Leicester, yourselves and also Blackpool sung it in the play-off semi''s end of last season. As for Glad All Over that certainly was ours first, as you point out. John Henty, the former PA announcer at Palace from the early 60''s til the late 80''s/early 90''s got a copy on white label and played it at a Palace match and it proved popular, before its release. Palace adopted it and a few yers later it was adopted by Blackpool.

As I say, we aren''t claiming that the We Love You song (better known as that song from Sister Act ;) lol) is ours, far from it but we have somewhat made it more well known than other clubs that have used it. I had never heard that chant at any other football ground until the HF first used it, but as said about 3 or 4 other clubs had also used it before the Holmesdale Fanatics used it. As they say immitation is the best form of flattery!!

[quote user="adam26y"]Haha yeah that was me and my mates, aswell as the adam drury song :D Thats right people, adam drury now has a song. oh how we love, oh how we loveyour headerin, your headerinyour tackerlin, your tackerlinyour loyalty, your loyaltyooooooooooooooadam drury. adam adam drury, adam drury wheres the number 3adam drury. adam adam drury, adam drury your the one for me!Yarmy!!![/quote]How about a Ballamory theme for our beloved left back?What''s the story Adam Drury, cross and we''ll score a goal!Alright, where''s the coat rack?....

In actual fact there are very few clubs with really original songs. On The Ball City is our anthem, a song that was adopted by the club over 100 years ago. It''s unique to our club. Other songs / chants come and go. Many of the ones from the 60''s and 70''s are no longer sung.

I remember when nearly every club in the land saw their fans hold scarves above their heads singing "You''ll Never Walk Alone". I always felt this was immitation of the Kop so could have been flattery for the scousers. However if the St Pauli chant takes off the only immitation will be of the St Pauli fans and no flattery to Palace.

While you''re here Jon could you do something to make my wooden seat a little better for Boxing Day? You could take a few notes when you come to Carrow Road in October because that''s the sort of facilities I''ll be hoping for[;)]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

In actual fact there are very few clubs with really original songs. On The Ball City is our anthem, a song that was adopted by the club over 100 years ago. It''s unique to our club. Other songs / chants come and go. Many of the ones from the 60''s and 70''s are no longer sung.

I remember when nearly every club in the land saw their fans hold scarves above their heads singing "You''ll Never Walk Alone". I always felt this was immitation of the Kop so could have been flattery for the scousers. However if the St Pauli chant takes off the only immitation will be of the St Pauli fans and no flattery to Palace.

While you''re here Jon could you do something to make my wooden seat a little better for Boxing Day? You could take a few notes when you come to Carrow Road in October because that''s the sort of facilities I''ll be hoping for[;)]

[/quote]

[Y]

[quote user="Henry"]Might have a go at getting this going in the Snakepit Saturday [:)]
[/quote]

I will too Henry!

I think any canary fan that wants to get songs going and that should sit/stand together.

Good to hear the "St Pauli" song getting an airing at Brizzle yeaterday. Joined in myself, but over by the corner flag there was only 3 of us singing.

Check out the FC Young Boys singing it on you tube, I think their in a train stn. They sit down till they start going oooohhhhh then go nuts, plus a good touch to finnish it at the end with,,,,,,,, thats the way uh ha, uh ha, I like it uh ha, uh ha.

Soz would put link on but i''m on my phone so no can do

Let me know what you think,,,,,,